PDA

View Full Version : Installation.

Graycochea
04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
So, does it actually do anything?

I know it's supposed to run the game faster and make the disc not spin, but does it really do that? I'm positive I can hear the disc spinning when I install my games. They also don't seem any faster.

I install them when I'm playing them and delete them when I'm not.

P.S. Is it spelled "Disc" or "Disk"? I'm pretty sure it used to be spelled "Disk" back in the day, like Floppy Disk, but now it's spelled "Disc". Just a side question, answer doesn't really matter much to me. Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone while I'm here.

JamiDJ
04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
So, does it actually do anything?

I know it's supposed to run the game faster and make the disc not spin, but does it really do that? I'm positive I can hear the disc spinning when I install my games. They also don't seem any faster.

I install them when I'm playing them and delete them when I'm not.

P.S. Is it spelled "Disc" or "Disk"? I'm pretty sure it used to be spelled "Disk" back in the day, like Floppy Disk, but now it's spelled "Disc". Just a side question, answer doesn't really matter much to me. Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone while I'm here.

i think installing them helps.. dont know if it really does or not.

i know it spins the disc at startup of game, but after a few min, it stops.

i think its Disc, but Disk sounds coorect..

silversleek
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
i think installing them helps.. dont know if it really does or not.

i know it spins the disc at startup of game, but after a few min, it stops.

i think its Disc, but Disk sounds coorect..

said by the guy who spells correct coorect

Mythonian
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
The reason the disc spins at startup is to ensure you actually have the disc itself. It then runs the majority of the game straight from the hard disk (aka hard drive).

Disc when using Optical discs (CDs, DVDs, Blurays, etc.).
Disk for floppy disk (because it's short for diskette), hard drives (hard disks), etc.

Graycochea
04-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks.

bazongaman502
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
yeah the only time it actually really spins is when its actually taking the data from the disk (like myth said, basically the data letting your xbox know that you have the actual disk).

But its good to install it because if your disk gets really scratched up where the game can't be read anymore, if you have it installed to your harddrive, it will work.

Its very useful, but I suggest only doing it to the games you know you really like and plan to play alot.

KazuhLLL
04-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Unless I've fallen victim to the placebo effect, installing games definitely decreases load times.

Also, if you're prone to damaging discs, having the game installed will often allow normally unusable discs to still be played.

Graycochea
04-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I install games I know I'll be playing for a few days, then when I beat it, I delete it. I re-install it when I play again.

Also, I'd like to believe that I take pretty good care of my games. Of course that was a subjective statement which was open to interpretation. Maybe I take horrible care of my games and just don't know any better.

KazuhLLL
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I install games I know I'll be playing for a few days, then when I beat it, I delete it. I re-install it when I play again.

Also, I'd like to believe that I take pretty good care of my games. Of course that was a subjective statement which was open to interpretation. Maybe I take horrible care of my games and just don't know any better.

Lol. I know plenty of people like that. xD

Most of the damage done to my discs are from those people... >.>

Silko
04-03-2013, 10:32 PM
I only install games I play alot. Atm that is Halo 4 and Battlefield

KillerGUNNY132
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
I typically install games I play alot like Halo or Battlefield.

But I also install big open world games that would require alot of load times like Fallout and Skyrim.

I actually used to take terrible care of my games. I would have them in a stack next to my Xbox. Not even in the case anymore. But about 2 years ago, I wised up and organized them into a section of my bookcase and put them all in their respective cases.