PDA

View Full Version : History Paper- need ideas

ThatAwkardGuy
04-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I have to write a 7-9 research paper in my history class. We can choose any topic from ancient times up to the renaissance. I have ideas for topics such as Hannibal Barca or Alexander the Great but I would love to learn something new. I enjoy a variety of topics but war really intrigues me. Thank you.

MDMYAY
04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Have you considered Hannibal Barca or ALexander the Great?

Maxdoggy
04-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

You're welcome.

Jam Cliché
04-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Simo Hayha gained some popularity after the story of his military career circulated on trending websites like Reddit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

You could broaden your topic to prominent military snipers in general to get a page count.

VerbotenDonkey
04-06-2013, 10:47 PM
I honestly just wrote a paper with the exact same requirements. I did Roman Military Tactics following primarily the Siege of Masada.

Zeta Crossfire
04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Do a paper on the economic collapse of the Roman Empire.

ThatAwkardGuy
04-07-2013, 01:34 PM
So far you have the best one. Maybe I could describe Roman Military Tactics through Scipio Africanus.

Zeta Crossfire
04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Siege of Carthage!

Spartanbh
04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Crusades. It combines religion, economics, war, etc and ranges over hundreds of years.

Prof Blastoise
04-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Crusades. It combines religion, economics, war, etc and ranges over hundreds of years.
Or just focus on one crusade like The Children's Crusade. Spoiler alert, the little kids die.

Toast78901
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I know we are a warsim and all, but can you guys only come up with war topics for a history paper lol? Anyway, I would suggest:

Fall of Rome
A Comparison Between the Three Main Islamic Empires
Machiavelli and the Transformation to Empiricism
Philosophy: Why the Ancient Greeks Established the Objective Argument
Zoroastrianism and the Birth of Monotheism
The Birth, Spread and Evolution of Buddhism
The Influence of the Catholic Church on the Affairs of the European Continent
The Black Death
Charlemagne and his Reformation of Western Europe
The Short-Lived Conquest of the Vikings
The Formation, Prospering and Fall of the Eastern Roman Empire (Referring to Constantinople here)
An in Depth Look at the Medici Family
A Comparison of the Many Chinese Dynasties
The Renaissance: A Rebirth in the Arts
The Renaissance: A Return to Valuing Reason
An Analysis of Celtic Society (Harder to do, but a good one)

Or, throw your teacher through a loop with these:

Atlantis: The Much-Reported Lost City
Ice Trolls: How Thor Did It
A History of the Masonic Order
Why Did the Did the Catholic Church Ignore Certain Gospels in the Creation of the Bible?
The Apocrypha: There Were Dragons in the Bible?!?!?

Or, my personal favorite:

A Detailed History of the Continent of Tamriel: From Ysgramor to the 4th Era

ThatAwkardGuy
04-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Holy crap...I still have little idea on what I will do. Might do something with Teutonic Knights.

Guzzie
04-07-2013, 11:55 PM
I like the buddhism idea. You could write about different sects and countries that practice them. You could also divert into meditation, yoga, mind over body, and all things related.

THExSPIDERMAN
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Do Vlad the Impaler.

bl4yze
04-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Do a paper on the history of FC hahah

Graycochea
04-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Or, my personal favorite:

A Detailed History of the Continent of Tamriel: From Ysgramor to the 4th Era

Toast, you're a God. Please, please, please, do me the honor of being my best friend.

You could do something on the history of pain. Things like what forms of tortu- I mean "interrogation" work the best.
Apparently, a lot of the old forms wouldn't have worked at all. There's all kinds of tor- "interrogation" techniques:

-The Rack
-Water Boarding
-Chinese Water Torture
-The Pear
-The Pendulum
-Dunking
-The Iron Maiden
-Crucifixion
-Impalement
-Chair of Torture(basically an Iron Maiden, except you're sitting instead of standing)

You could do the history of the Spanish Inquisition. You could talk about Tomas de Torquemada. When it comes to Crucifixion and Impalement you could talk about Vlad Tepes III a.k.a. Vlad the Impaler a.k.a. Dracula. That could lead you into the myth and legend surrounding Vampires. Which could lead you to Elizabeth Bathory, the Blood Countess, the first female vampire(serial killer) who killed hundreds of her maidens and bathed in their blood.

Alternatively, Vlad Dracul could lead you to Wallachia and his numerous wars with the Ottoman Empire.

Most of the forms of torture listed above are debated as to whether or not they actually existed. With that you could do a research proposal about whether you agree or disagree with these torture forms actually being used or not.

Torture has been used throughout the whole of human existence, which means it opens a lot of doors historically.

Good talk,

--G