PDA

View Full Version : CSR Information & Resources

KazuhLLL
04-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Alright, I know there's a fair bit of confusion about CSR even in a community like ours, so I'm going to go ahead and try to clear some of that up. All of the info has simply been taken from a couple Halo Bulletins and condensed. At the bottom I'll also leave you with a few ways to check your CSR without navigating the awfulness that is the Waypoint Stats page. (If you've been reading the bulletins you're not likely to learn anything new, so feel free to skip to the resources).

Information:

There are two different ways we calculate your CSR. CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill. Your CSR is dependent upon your personal performance as well as the rank of those you play with. While several playlists will use a win/loss system to determine whether or not you rank up, others will use individual scoring, which will rank you based on your performance against everyone in the match, teammates included. In some playlists, you’ll rank up faster than others – these vary in order to create the most optimal experience for each playlist.

I've gone ahead and highlighted one of the most important aspects of this ranking system. In playlists like Infinity Slayer (individual scoring) you will rank up significantly faster than in a W/L oriented playlist like Team Objective. I've seen the ability to skip up to ~5 ranks in the individual playlists (at low levels) whereas I'm fairly certain that you can only rank up one at a time in the team-based ones.

Now, here's how each playlists are ranked:

The following playlists will use individual scoring and measure your performance against all others in the game. This ensures that the players who play the best in each match will have their CSR adjusted accordingly. Players who win consistently in these playlists will rank up faster than they will in the playlists that use team scoring.

Playlists that use individual scoring:
Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity Slayer
Rumble Pit
Multi-Team
Team Action Sack
Flood
Team Snipers
Regicide
SWAT

The following playlists will use team scoring, and your CSR will be based off wins and losses. This system rewards players who work towards the objective and win the match. It will take longer to rank up in these playlists.

Playlists that will use team scoring:
Castle Team DLC
Team Objective
Capture the Flag
Dominion
Team Throwdown
Team Doubles
Grifball

Another important thing to note about the individually-scoring playlists is that you're essentially competing against your own team, as well as the other. Now what this means is that if you go in with the same party consistently, the better player will bring up the worse ones, but in turn they'll be brought down themselves.

Now, can you then carry a worse player? In a sense, yes, but only as high as the average skill of the group. Two 40s won’t bring a 10 up to a 40, but instead they will all end up around 30. Does that accurately represent that 10’s skill? Well, if that 10 plays alone, then no, it is grossly overestimating that player’s skill. However, if that player ALWAYS plays with two 40 CSR friends, then 20 of that player's skill is playing with the right friends.

Now I'm sure most of you won't really care about watching who you play with (I know I don't), but I just thought it was worth the warning for those of you who do.

Now, many of you have strong feelings about quitting and the join-in-progress system, but in the context of CSR there are a few upcoming changes to it.

If you leave early once a match has started, it treats it as if you were the lowest rank in the match for the individual-scored playlists and as a loss on the team-scored playlists. Players that join in progress are currently treated as if they had played the entire match. That said, in our selected, more competitive playlists, there will be rules in place to mitigate the effect. Namely:

You can only join in progress during a small window of time in the beginning of the match, so those players will still have time to contribute meaningfully to the match.
Friends are not allowed to join a game in progress. Only random players searching through Matchmaking can join during that 60-second window.
These new "rules" don't seem to have been put in place yet, but according to BS Angel, "We plan on putting in these Join-in-Progress parameters as close to CSR launch as possible."

Resources:

I think everyone here hates navigating Waypoint. I know I wasn't planning on keeping track of my CSR simply because I didn't want to be using their website on a game-to-game basis. That being said, I've found a few alternatives in the last few days.

First, my personal favorite. A super quick website that include CSR as well as general stats. There's even a pretty cool compare feature. It's new, but it's being updated regularly.
http://leafapp.co/

An even quicker way to check only your CSR.
http://www.quickcsr.com/

And, of course, there's the always helpful Halo Tracker. Just go to the playlists tab to see all of your ranks.
http://www.halotracker.com/

Anyway, hope this helped some of you! I may come back later and update/edit a few things, but for now I gotta go.

JamiDJ
04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
great work Kaz! this really clears some questions up that I had. :bravo: