PDA

View Full Version : Create a Graphics Department?

Savagegxp
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
We have a Forge Department, A Web Department, and a Video Department, but we only have a general graphics topic? The others seems to be far more organized (at least the web and forge) and have something of a staff going on, and then you get the graphics department which isn't. Not to mention people have lost interest in it because it's all based on free lance work with no feeling of a real staff. True there are certain people in charge of creating certain graphics, but why not create a department with a staff and assigned duties?

Duties could include:
Creation of Maps for FC RP (basic visualizations to tactical maps)
Creation of artwork depicting RP Characters
Organizing graphic requests
Deleting old or obsolete requests
Making a gallery
Designing artwork for FC created maps used in wars
Designing logos for squads, Fire teams, battalions, armies etc.
Keeping the FC page up to date with dynamic backgrounds and the like (appears someone already does that,but who do we thank for the awesome art?)
Create exciting marketing designs to encourage people to purchase FC Merch

That's just a short list, but wouldn't the community benefit from a strong graphics department? Wouldn't the lore players create be so much cooler if people could actually see the ideas from their heads in picture form?

Maybe I'm out of place, and maybe I'm naive about the general graphics section, but I just thought this was some good food for thought.

Blackhawk570
07-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Sounds cool. The only thing is that we need enough people to be a part of this which I only think we have a handful of graphic artists.

Savagegxp
07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
A handful is how you start anything. If the graphic department can become as prestigious as the forge department then people will become interested. I also think that a gallery of the work that FC members and eventually graphic team members make will inspire people to become a part of it.

Ominous Solace
07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
I could try to help out. I do a bit of Graphic work sometimes.

JEWmanji
07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I think its an awesome idea

bl4yze
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I'd be up to help out with this, my graphic portfolio is here www.kollaba.com *shameless plug

Blackhawk570
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
A handful is how you start anything. If the graphic department can become as prestigious as the forge department then people will become interested. I also think that a gallery of the work that FC members and eventually graphic team members make will inspire people to become a part of it.

Most of the handful of people aren't active artists though.

Savagegxp
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all! I think hosting auditions for staff positions would be a good idea. But ideally no one who wanted to participate would be turned away, instead existing members could give them graphic design tips so that they could improve their own skills.

Look at the interest we are already generating though. And I don't have the power necessary to get this started. The forge department likely started with only a few people who weren't as active as they could have been.

purple gamer 17
07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Its ok, Mededust can do everything. He is the Myth of Graphics.

lol

Savagegxp
07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Wouldn't he appreciate underlings? Lol

MedeDust
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
If you understand graphic artists at all you understand that we flake out a lot on free projects because well its something we're doing for free. But if you guys really want to give it a shot then sure maybe I can figure somethin out.

Graycochea
07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't he appreciate slaves? Lol

*Fix'd

Don't think of it as having a bunch of hangers-on Mede, think of it as having your own personal slave labor.

Savagegxp
07-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I am aware that as artists we are called art monkeys due to our lack of focus and uncanny ability to troll people over simple requests. At a minimum establishing a gallery would be great. I think it would encourage participation because people like the chance to share their work with everyone. If you have to why not give artists some kind of incentive for having their work chosen by the requester? Like 5vcash or something like that? And similar to the forge department, allow artists to obtain ribbons for completing work, and allow them to add Graphic Team member to their profile pic in the way that yours says global moderator.