PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Cloud Computing Concerns

SuRroundeD By 1
07-06-2013, 11:43 PM
(Warning, long read ahead)

So, roaming the Battlefield 4 forums, someone posted this:

So I see all of you Xbox One fans saying how the cloud is going to be some miracle that boosts the Xbox performance to PC performance levels or levels much higher than the PS4. Well I'm here to tell you that isn't going to happen.

Cloud computing is not going to be what you think or expect. I'll try to explain what could computing will be for you so you have an idea of why the Xbox will not be some uber console like you think it will and despite what MS is promising.

So what is Microsoft's cloud computing for Xbox One?

Essentially, what cloud computing is plain and simple, is that every player can get access to their own dedicated server. Imagine if you could have your Xbox and you hooked it up to another computer across a really long network cable. In a way you can have two machines working simultaneously. However, the rules of physics come into play. It takes a certain amount of time for data to both to go that other server, process, and get data back. That time is longer than the time it takes the game to render an individual image (frame), so you can only use cloud computing for things that aren't needed every frame. That time is known as Latency.

Essentially, cloud computing is a way to add additional CPU resources to your platform by reducing some of the work you do locally, and instead do the computation on the server.

Keep in mind, the server is not a physical server box as some of you may think. It is a virtual server (software) running in a server farm. This way the server can scale proportionally to the demand on it. It can grow to use more physical hardware as needed. This also helps explain the 300,000 servers Microsoft claims to have at release. They are all virtual and you can run multiple virtual servers on a single piece of server hardware. So there are not 300,000 computers sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

So now lets look at some of the problems with this arrangement.

The problem of Latency:

As mentioned previously, Latency is the time it takes to communicate with the server, the time the server needs to calculate the problem, and the time required for the server to send back the results.

Because of this Microsoft has directly said that cloud computing in the Xbox One is aimed at "latency-insensitive computation". Right away that tells you that anything that is latency sensitive is not going to be accelerated by the cloud. This is why the Onlive online gaming service went out of business. It too was a cloud computing gaming service. They couldn't solve the latency problem with cloud computing because it can not be solved.

So what types of things in gaming are sensitive to latency that would not be accelerated by the cloud?

A quote from Microsoft: "Things that I would call latency-sensitive would be reactions to animations in a shooter, reactions to hits and shots in a racing game, reactions to collisions. Those things you need to have happen immediately and on frame and in sync with your controller."

So hit detection, animations in shooters, collisions, etc. are all sensitive to Latency. So as you can see, most things common to FPS games and fast passed action game are LATENCY SENSITIVE and can not be accelerated by the cloud due to Latency.

Things like rendering the image on the screen are also extremely latency sensitive. The cloud is never going to be rendering the image on your TV. Your console will be doing all of that work. The servers don't even have graphics cards so they couldn't even if they wanted to do it. The console's graphics card will still be doing all the heavy lifting to calculate all the pixels and display the image.

Here is what they Microsoft servers probably will look like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bladecenter-front.jpg [en.wikipedia.org]

They will go in cabinets like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UPM-CeSViMa-SupercomputadorMagerit.jp g [en.wikipedia.org]

The servers will be blades or another similar form factor so they can get a lot of them into a small space. There is no room for graphics cards and the servers are not designed for doing graphics.

So what types of things of things can the cloud accelerate then?

If you've ever played an MMO, all of the game logic itself is calculated on servers. There's not a whole lot that is being computed locally. Essentially you send up your input (example: "Use Fireball"), the server calculates the result ("You dealt X points of damage") and your game then plays the cool special effects, updates the health bar, plays the enemy hit animation, etc. This is a perfect use of cloud computing and cloud computing is aimed at these types of games (MMO and RTS) and not FPS or fast passed action games.

AI is another thing cloud computing can accelerate. Titanfall is going to be using cloud computing for their AI. The AI computation will be run on the server and the server only sends back the position of the bots and their actions to the console. The console will get this data from the cloud but will still have to generate the scene and render the screen.

Cloud computing may help accelerate multiplayer games so they can have larger levels with more players than without cloud computing. The cloud will be able to keep track of all the players and just send out position updates to player's consoles so the console can render the world and scene for that point in time. This would take some burden off the consoles. It is similar to how multiplayer games already work on PC.

Things like these are perfect for being accelerated by cloud computing because they are not dependent on Latency or having to communicate back and forth with the console several times before the console can use the data directly.

Can the cloud accelerate any graphical effects at all?

Some minor graphics effects can be accelerated. There are also some visual things in a video game world that don't necessarily need to be updated every frame or don't change that much in reaction to what's going on. One example of that might be lighting. Let’s say you’re looking at a forest scene and you need to calculate the light coming through the trees, or you’re going through a battlefield and have very dense volumetric fog that’s hugging the terrain. Those things often involve some complicated up-front calculations when you enter that world, but they don’t necessarily have to be updated every frame.

Also, think about a lighting technique like ambient occlusion that gives you all the cracks and crevices and shadows that happen not just from direct light. There are a number of calculations that have to be done up front, and as the camera moves the effect will change. So when you walk into a room, it might be that for the first second or two the fidelity of the lighting is done by the console, but then, as the cloud catches up with that, the data comes back down to the console and you have incredibly realistic lighting.

But think of how this will look to the player. The scene will start off being rendered on the console and then at some point the entire scene will change and look more realistic when the cloud catches up because of the latency problem. It may look very strange if not done properly. It will be like the level of detail changes in BF3 when you look around but probably worse. And every time you change viewing angle it will happen all over again. Because the console will have to take over while the cloud calculates the data and catches back up. Again this is because of the latency issue.

So in a FPS this may be incredibly annoying since you are constantly changing your viewing angle at high speeds. So I doubt these things will be accelerated in FPS games. The latency would just make it impractical.

So In Conclusion

*Cloud computing will only be beneficial to latency insensitive computation. This type of computation involves things that can be calculated in the background which don't have to be sycned with the real time action. So this means cloud computing will have little effect in FPS games like BF4 that are very latency sensitive.

*Cloud computing will never improve the performance of the graphics on the consoles. The cloud can not, nor ever will be directly rendering any images shown on the screen in your living room.

*Cloud computing is not going to make the XBox faster than the PS4 especially in games like BF4 or any other FPS title

References
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/how-the-xbox-one-draws-more-processing-power-from-cloud-computing/ [arstechnica.com]
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/computer-engineer-with-ties-to-industry-explains-xbox-ones-cloud-computing.453130243/ [ign.com]
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming [eurogamer.net]
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/24/4361730/xbox-one-cloud-gaming-part-of-online-requirement [theverge.com]

I'm not a genius on these technical issues. If what this poster said was true, the PS4 is going to TRUMP the One in specs (specifically for FPS's). Now, I'm still getting an Xbox One either way, but I'd like to have more ammo to convince my friends to buy a One. And I want to know what I'm talking about when I tell people about the One.

VerbotenDonkey
07-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Gives me more of a reason to wait until they both launch and see what bugs both systems have. :P

Interesting read though. That never hit me until I read it here. Good find Surrounded!

SuRroundeD By 1
07-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks Donkey . . . I'm still a little worried. I have no problem with the PS4, but I have a facebook friend who won't stop posting about PS4 crap . . . and it's annoying . . . this would only give him more to post about.

Mythonian
07-07-2013, 01:01 AM
That guy is right on a few things, but wrong at where it matters...

1) The current specs of the X1 (ignoring cloud computing) and PS4 are virtually identical. There is no noticeable difference in their specs. If you are comparing something between the consoles, you could not tell a difference with the naked eye. The biggest possible difference might be that the PS4 will have loading screens that last 1 second less. That's it. >.>

2) He listed a number of things that would be computed via the cloud. Things like AI, player actions, etc. These will already make a notable difference, and already put the X1 ahead.

3) Pre-rendering. While you are in one area, the cloud could be pre-rendering and buffering the next area, including lighting, scenery, particles, and everything else. Once you are entering the area, the cloud would send that buffered information to your console, which would display it. His thought that rendering couldn't be done via the cloud is ignoring that things can be buffered in advance.

4) All of these combined will probably reduce the CPU usage of the X1 by 10-20% (depending on how much the developer wants to utilize the cloud). That extra 10-20% can then be used for whatever else the developer wants to throw in there.

Fiery Grave
07-07-2013, 02:13 AM

1) The current specs of the X1 (ignoring cloud computing) and PS4 are virtually identical. There is no noticeable difference in their specs. If you are comparing something between the consoles, you could not tell a difference with the naked eye. The biggest possible difference might be that the PS4 will have loading screens that last 1 second less. That's it. >.>

2) He listed a number of things that would be computed via the cloud. Things like AI, player actions, etc. These will already make a notable difference, and already put the X1 ahead.

3) Pre-rendering. While you are in one area, the cloud could be pre-rendering and buffering the next area, including lighting, scenery, particles, and everything else. Once you are entering the area, the cloud would send that buffered information to your console, which would display it. His thought that rendering couldn't be done via the cloud is ignoring that things can be buffered in advance.

4) All of these combined will probably reduce the CPU usage of the X1 by 10-20% (depending on how much the developer wants to utilize the cloud). That extra 10-20% can then be used for whatever else the developer wants to throw in there.

Plus other cool things like drivatars on Forza are possible because of this. Really its a tool there for a dev to use... on thing it could help Tremendously with is networking... Ever notice when there is lagg that the other players keep walking the same direction foreever but are still effected normally by thingsand react normally for the most part? That because networking cheats... it uses interpolation... If you want to learn about that look here its what i have been looking at a lot lately (Warning lots of tech jargon) https://developer.valvesoftware.c om/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networ king

this stuff is calculated every few frames and can be moved entirely to the could... assuming the individual clouds can talk with each other as well as the consoles

KazuhLLL
07-07-2013, 02:55 AM
So In Conclusion
*Cloud computing will never improve the performance of the graphics on the consoles. The cloud can not, nor ever will be directly rendering any images shown on the screen in your living room.

Whenever I see posts like this guy's I wonder whether he doesn't know what he's talking about or he's just a Sony fanboy trying to "convert" more people.. Maybe he's just one of those people who believe that graphics are the most important part of a game. :P

If his post were summarized in a TL;DR, it would be "Cloud computing can do lots of things, but don't let Microsoft fool you! Cloud computing can in no way improve graphics!"

Which is stupid. It's true that the cloud can not directly render any images, but Microsoft never claimed that to be the case. I doubt even a Worldwide Google Fiber network could put something like that in the realm of possibility. But all of those other latency-insensitive aspects of a game can be handled by the cloud, and if it's being handled by the cloud that means it's not being handled by your Xbox. That means that the more cloud processing a game uses, the more local X1 resources will be freed up, and those additional resources can be utilized in improving graphics, among myriad other things.

Spartanbh
07-07-2013, 03:23 AM

This is Myth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2hiFbuQ-Qw

Maxdoggy
07-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks to Myth for saying what I was going to say. Just made my job easier. Lol.

I agree with Kaz, if he truly was a neutral observer, he would have mentioned that because those processes are offloaded to the cloud that it would free up resources on the X1 for other processes.

SuRroundeD By 1
07-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Alright thanks for clearing that up guys, I'm less worried now XD

Carpe Vexillum
07-07-2013, 12:34 PM
I laugh at some of the original articles statements. They list a source and being a good game designer and boy scout like I am I read the sources and one sources conflicts with every statement that "the cloud cannot help improve and FPS." That they so gratuitously use. I am not saying they didn't read the article so much as pick the nasty out of it.

A chunk of this has been stated but give it a thorough read. If Microsoft claims what they claim in this interview the cloud does help. Personally as a game designer most of what they say are correct especially Myth. The numbers side by side look intimidating, but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to how everything actually plays out. One thing is correct though, designing games for PS4 will be easier I've had to pick up an extra year of classes to accommodate this launch and mobile devices.

UPDATE: The original version of this story misstated the 300,000-server capacity for Xbox One's cloud computing architecture as 30,000 servers. Ars regrets the error.

While Tuesday's Xbox One presentation answered some questions about Microsoft's upcoming system, it left just as many or more unsettled. Luckily, Ars got a chance to sit down with General Manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms Matt Booty to try to get more answers. While he wasn't able to answer some of the most pressing questions about the system, he was able to dive deep into some of the technical details.

Our first question had to do with the 300,000-server cloud architecture that Microsoft says the Xbox One will use to help support "latency-insensitive computation" in its games. What does that mean exactly, and can laggy cloud data really help in a video game where most things have to be able to respond locally and immediately?

"Things that I would call latency-sensitive would be reactions to animations in a shooter, reactions to hits and shots in a racing game, reactions to collisions," Booty told Ars. "Those things you need to have happen immediately and on frame and in sync with your controller. There are some things in a video game world, though, that don't necessarily need to be updated every frame or don't change that much in reaction to what's going on."

"One example of that might be lighting," he continued. "Let’s say you’re looking at a forest scene and you need to calculate the light coming through the trees, or you’re going through a battlefield and have very dense volumetric fog that’s hugging the terrain. Those things often involve some complicated up-front calculations when you enter that world, but they don’t necessarily have to be updated every frame. Those are perfect candidates for the console to offload that to the cloud—the cloud can do the heavy lifting, because you’ve got the ability to throw multiple devices at the problem in the cloud."

Booty added that things like physics modeling, fluid dynamics, and cloth motion were all prime examples of effects that require a lot of up-front computation that could be handled in the cloud without adding any lag to the actual gameplay. And the server resources Microsoft is putting toward these calculations will be much greater than a local Xbox One could handle on its own. "A rule of thumb we like to use is that [for] every Xbox One available in your living room we’ll have three of those devices in the cloud available," he said.

While cloud computation data doesn't have to be updated and synced with every frame of game data, developers are still going to have to manage the timing and flow of this cloud computing to avoid noticeable changes in graphic quality, Booty said. “Without getting too into the weeds, think about a lighting technique like ambient occlusion that gives you all the cracks and crevices and shadows that happen not just from direct light. There are a number of calculations that have to be done up front, and as the camera moves the effect will change. So when you walk into a room, it might be that for the first second or two the fidelity of the lighting is done by the console, but then, as the cloud catches up with that, the data comes back down to the console and you have incredibly realistic lighting."

Does that mean that Xbox One games will feature graphics that suddenly get much more realistic as complex data finally finishes downloading from the cloud? "Game developers have always had to wrestle with levels of detail... managing where and when you show details is part of the art of games," Booty said. "One of the exciting challenges going forward is a whole new set of techniques to manage what is going to be offloaded to the cloud and what’s going to come back.”

And what about those times when a gamer doesn't have an active Internet connection to make use of the cloud's computational power? Microsoft has confirmed that single-player games don't have to be online to work, but all this talk of cloud computing seems to suggest that these games might not look or perform as well if they don't have access to a high-speed connection.

"If there’s a fast connection and if the cloud is available and if the scene allows it, you’re obviously going to capitalize on that," Booty told Ars. "In the event of a drop out—and we all know that Internet can occasionally drop out, and I do say occasionally because these days it seems we depend on Internet as much as we depend on electricity—the game is going to have to intelligently handle that." Booty urged us to "stay tuned" for more on precisely how that intelligent handling would work, stressing that "it’s new technology and a new frontier for game design, and we’re going to see that evolve the way we’ve seen other technology evolve."

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15862/article/ps4-vs-xbox-one---who-has-the-better-gpu-revealed/

RaZ Vader
07-07-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15862/article/ps4-vs-xbox-one---who-has-the-better-gpu-revealed/

Wo....:eek1:

But honestly, I don't know how much of a difference we will see because of these numbers. I honestly don't understand how it all works.

Guess We will wait and see.

bazongaman502
07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
People keep throwing out number as if they really mean anything. It's all about what YOU want. What I wanted, sadly, got removed because people keep jumping to conclusions without looking into things.

Idc what anyone says, im getting the Xbox One because I want to. Im not changing my mind and have no reason to change it.