PDA

View Full Version : Remember September 11th, 2001

GAMExSOLID
09-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Hey Everyone, just wanting to hear some feedback and give thanks to all of our service men and women out there. Those of you on the site. Thank you all. I'd like to hear your responses. Where were you on this dreadful day in history? What was the atmosphere like? What was your reaction and the reactions of those around you. I was in 2nd Grade. Mom came and picked me up from school and was crying. Dad had us in the basement with the tv on the local news. He wouldn't cry. He kept telling me that everything was going to be ok. Little brother and myself really didn't know what was going on. :/ Maybe you all have a better memory? God bless everyone. Whatever happens with this Syria thing... Take care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jlgZMZRf64

Be Brave

silversleek
09-11-2013, 12:58 AM
I have to ask a question, now, i'm not american, and have several sociopathic traits making empathy difficult for me, and sure, i get that it was a bad thing, but... this is twelve years later, and i don't comprehend why this is still a big thing. I mean, i don't think that the boston bombings or something like that will get it's own date or anything to remember it. Why still this?

Not meaning to be a dick about it, but twelve years.

bl4yze
09-11-2013, 01:49 AM
I have to ask a question, now, i'm not american, and have several sociopathic traits making empathy difficult for me, and sure, i get that it was a bad thing, but... this is twelve years later, and i don't comprehend why this is still a big thing. I mean, i don't think that the boston bombings or something like that will get it's own date or anything to remember it. Why still this?

There is National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (72 years ago) and plenty of other days of remembrance for events that happened far longer than 12 years ago. There are a plethora of reasons why 9/11 is still remembered, personally I think it being such a reality check that the "greatest nation in the world" (not necessarily my words) is so vulnerable. The aftermath of the attacks in 2001 were also what gave it so much significance (Wars, TSA, Fear of Terrorism etc).

I don't really make a point of remembering those that were lost each and every year, but I can feel empathy for those that were in NY on that day, or had friends or family in NY that day. I was living in England when the attacks happened and I had no idea how big of a deal this was when I was a 12 year old kid living in the UK, it wasn't until about 2 years later when I moved to the States that I kind of understood how shitty this all actually was.

That being said, I'm in the same boat as you in the sense that 12 years later, I don't actively think or mourn for this day, but I absolutely don't question those that do.

Silko
09-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Silver this was the first strike of this size on US soil since December 7th 1941, a day which will live in infamy. We still honor those who fought bravely on that day and we are less then 3 months from the 72nd anniversary. The British subway bombing happened back in 2005 and they still had a moment of silence in the 2012 Olympics, 7 years after the event and they didn't even have a fraction of the amount of people harmed in comparison to 9/11. So Silver we can never EVER forget about both the helpless victims of these attacks and the brave men and women who ran into the fires and saved lives, even at the cost of their own.

On a side note I have meet a Pearl Harbor survivor and it is among the most humbling experiences of my life. These heroes should and must be honored for their incredible deeds and their valor.

Zeta Crossfire
09-11-2013, 01:59 AM

I lost my uncle when the towers fell, he just had new born twins a few days before. I'll remember it not only as a tragic event that happened to my fellow Americans, but also as a day that hurt my family.

*to add* while she didn't die my aunt also lost one of her arms. Having most of my family on NYC and 4 of them that worked in the towers that day it's something worth remembering.

Juggernaut9473
09-11-2013, 06:35 AM
I was in 4th grade, still living in Seattle at the time. We were just starting school at the time of the attacks. Then the principal came on and told everyone to go home. I had no idea what was going on till I had saw my mother later that day. And when I had learned of what happened...I was horrified.

And silver, every American who waa old enough to remember September 11th will never forget it. Much like I will never forget the Colombine High School shootings that happened when I was living out in colorado. It is hard to forget about the 343 fire fighters and first responders, the 2,263 people who died on in the towers, the 246 people who died on contact when the planes crashed, the 125 Pentagon workers, 55 of which were military and the 372 foreigners who died that day. Its a day we will never forget because we don't want it to happen again...just like I won't forget the 15 dead and 21 injured from the Colombine High School shootings. That which happened back in 1999.

Andimion
09-11-2013, 06:59 AM
I may not be American, and you fucks may look down on us Canadians for what ever reason.. But we he great sympathy for your losses..

I was very young as well, I was sent home from school for something I did not at all understand.. I watched my grandfather who was American in tears, watching the trade centre fall on our TV. We as a family watched this to show our respects, and to wish justice upon those responsible.

We have a moment of silence today to reflect on the lives lost.

Juggernaut9473
09-11-2013, 07:09 AM
I may not be American, and you fucks may look down on us Canadians for what ever reason.. But we he great sympathy for your losses..

I was very young as well, I was sent home from school for something I did not at all understand.. I watched my grandfather who was American in tears, watching the trade centre fall on our TV. We as a family watched this to show our respects, and to wish justice upon those responsible.

You know I don't look down on canadians. I know you guys are awesome. Just had to set the record straight for silver. I just pick on canadians for saying eh :-P

Andimion
09-11-2013, 07:29 AM
I didn't imply you.. In fact you're like the last person I'd throw that at bud.

But the eh thing is huge with me.. Nearly every two sentences. Lol eh

KazuhLLL
09-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Being someone who has absolutely zero ties to anyone in or near NYC I definitely understand where you're coming from. I pretty much feel the same way as Blayze:

That being said, I'm in the same boat as you in the sense that 12 years later, I don't actively think or mourn for this day, but I absolutely don't question those that do.

The effects (on Americans) of what happened that day, both big and small, were long-lasting and very apparent even to those of us in Elementary school at the time.

As far as what happened for me that day, I was in 3rd grade and pretty shortly after getting to school the principal made an announcement over the PA system saying (something like) terrorists had attacked and destroyed the Twin Towers. I had no idea what terrorism was, and I had no idea what the Twin Towers were, or how big they were (having never seen a city then). My teacher refused to explain any more than the principal did, wanting (I imagine), to leave that to our parents' discretion. I ended up just being really confused as all my friends and classmates were picked up while I and like 3 other kids were left stuck at school the whole day doing random worksheets and whatnot.

Nicholas Sapien
09-11-2013, 08:37 AM

I only look down on you guys, cause fuzzy is over there :p

Maxdoggy
09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I was in my second grade class. One of the counselors came in to talk to Mrs. Woehler (my teacher) and whispered in her ear. I remember my teacher asking "Is everyone okay?" and the counselor just kind of shook her head and left the room.

Class continued as if nothing had happened, but eventually I was pulled out of school early and I learned what had happened at home. I didn't know what the Twin Towers were, or what terrorism was, but that moment in my class is one I shall never forget.

Andimion
09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Nich that is reasonable.

Platinum
09-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I was in first grade, and I can barely remember the day as I was only 6 at the time. We just started school and an announcement came on telling everyone to turn their classroom TVs (they were poop TVs) to the news. It was NYC. Even a classroom full of 6 year-old kids who never could stand still watched the events on our TV. I was too young to understand what exactly was happening, but I still couldn't believe what was happening.

I just woke up, and I can't put paragraphs together worth shit right now.

fearfulpenguin
09-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, I was in first period U.S history of all places when this happened. Some kid came rushing into our classroom screaming OHH MYY GODD!! There was a plane that crashed into the WTC and at first I thought it was just a joke because that really could not happen. Planes don't crash into buildings. Soo pretty much the whole day and thru out my high school all we did was watch the non stop broadcast of the news in all of our classrooms.

Silko
09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I was in the 3rd grade and it the first plane crashed very early in the morning for us. I remember my sister and I in the back seat asking my mom who was driving us to school what happened. She was holding back tears and her hand was over her mouth. I was in class when the towers fell. The teachers really didn't focus on teaching for the hour that we where in class before the towers fell, so many of us talked and asked questions on what is going on. The schools went into full lockdown and they did tell us what was going on. They released us to our parents after they checked their IDs and we rushed home. I didn't find out what happened until much later that day.

EagleOne
09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I remember that day...

I was living in Cloverdale, British Columbia, attending grade 6 at Don Christian Elementary. I woke up early to have a cup of coffee with my dad and enjoy breakfast. Then he turned on the television and we watched as the news broadcasters were saying that there was an explosion in one of the towers. I thought to myself "How the heck are the firemen gonna get up there in time?". After watching the news for a while, my sister and I were taken to school by my mother. The teacher already had a portable television set up in the classroom, tuned in. She was in tears. We all watched the second plane hit the other tower, and there was complete silence in the school, the only thing you could here was the TVs all tuned in to the same broadcast. The morning announcements never happened, classes never continued their lessons from the day before. The principal visited each classroom, and told us we were free to go home, to use the phone if we needed to call our parents for a ride...

I watched at home as the first tower fell, and then the next. I thought "How could this happen? How did airplanes cause the towers to collapse like that?"

My mother was in tears, and I'd never seen her react that way over anything else bad on the news. It just seemed like my whole world around me stopped, as everyone was watching the events unfold in NYC.

RetRdidMunkie
09-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver, when you're a kid, and your country gets attacked, thousands of innocents die, and you watch people on live tv jumping from thousands of feet in the air to their deaths, that kind of shit sticks with you.

I won't never forget all of that.

JonOU812
09-11-2013, 02:46 PM
3rd grade, just entered school. Few hours later we were released early. I remember riding with my mother as she turned on the radio, at first I didn't understand anything. Until I turned on the TV.....to be honest I was quite frightened. But as a 3rd grader you tend to be afraid of a lot of things. When I was in High School we watched it over and over again in almost every class, planting those scenes into our memories. It got very annoying after a while (glad i'm out of it now) although I can kinda understand it since I live in upstate NY.

Zeta Crossfire
09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I was in 4th grade at the time. I'm on the west coast so I was still asleep when the first plane hit the tower. My parents woke me up and we all sat in front of the TV the whole day. I skipped school, my dad took the day off work and my mom spent the whole day trying to get in touch with her family in NYC. The phones were dead and she couldn't reach anyone until 6-9 at night. Eventually we got in touch my aunt who said he she hadn't heard from her sister or brother all day but her and her husband made it out that morning. Turns out their train was running late and they just got off the train when the first plane hit. It wasn't until the next day we had learned my other aunt lost most of her left arm, and it took 6 months for them to find my uncles body.

I only met my uncle once but I was very young and couldn't remember same with my aunt, though I have now met and talked to her more since then. And even though I never remember meeting my uncle Every time I think of him I think of his Twins who were just born a short while before the event. Sometime life just isn't fair.

KazuhLLL
09-11-2013, 06:31 PM
But as a 3rd grader you tend to be afraid of a lot of things.

As a 3rd grader, I was afraid of (almost) nothing xD

Blackhawk570
09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
As a 3rd grader, I was afraid of (almost) nothing xD

This little bastard always has to ruin emotional threads.

Spartanbh
09-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I was in 4th grade and I remember a ton of kids getting called for early dismissals, so I was rather jelly and curious as to why everyone was getting outta school except me (no one told us about it during the day). Eventually I got home and I saw the Towers go down on TV in the afternoon, and me being the little annoying shit that I was, the first thing I said to my mom was "Does this mean I don't have to go to Hebrew school?" and she said no so I was happy for a second and then was like Oh snap son this isn't good.

Fuck Terrorism.

FYI, 24 Canadians died in the attacks. 115 nations were represented in at least one death during the day, so it did have a worldly affect as well. It wasn't just Americans who died.

Spattan177
09-11-2013, 07:02 PM
i think i was in first grade, (just before school started) i slept almost all day i honestly didn't understand 9/11 until like four years later. it's stuck with all of us, God bless America and the families of those lost.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I was in fifth grade when it happened. My dad woke me up and said "somebody flew a plane into the World Trade Center". My first question was "What is that?". I also had no idea what the Pentagon was.

That was a very depressing day at school. A lot of kids missing, crying, and all around quiet.