PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls Online

Relapsive
02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Dont For get to pre-order this beyond beautiful game. If you get the $100 Imperial edition you get the game earlier then anyone else and you get to bond a character with any race into any faction!

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-imperial-edition/113688

PS, get it on PC so we can play together ;)

VerbotenDonkey
02-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Is it still 15$ a month?

purple gamer 17
02-21-2014, 09:52 PM
^ I preordered it then I found out and I was like DA FUCK.
FUCK YO 15 DOLLA A MONTH BULLLL SHIT!

Anarchy
02-21-2014, 10:09 PM
All MMOs have a subscription fee (All the ones that matter).

You're paying for periodic updates adding content to the game all the time. Think of it as $25 worth of DLC every month.

VerbotenDonkey
02-21-2014, 10:17 PM
All MMOs have a subscription fee (All the ones that matter).

You're paying for periodic updates adding content to the game all the time. Think of it as $25 worth of DLC every month.

Guild Wars 2 begs to differ. Also, I play Neverwinter and Rift and they are both as good and F2P. (SWTOR is also good)

If I was going to pay $15, I'd just pay for WoW because although ESO was alright, it was NOT worth 15 a month.

Anarchy
02-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Pay to win < Pay to play

VerbotenDonkey
02-21-2014, 10:35 PM
I haven't payed a cent yet and I can play the game just fine.

Anarchy
02-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I haven't payed a cent yet and I can play the game just fine.

May mediocrity guide you to happiness.

JamiDJ
02-21-2014, 10:48 PM
May
mediocracy guide you to happiness.

fix'd it

VerbotenDonkey
02-21-2014, 11:11 PM
May mediocrity guide you to happiness.

And my wallet will be $15 a month fuller because of it. :)

Fuzzy
02-22-2014, 12:05 AM
I too was pissed when I found out that my dog had a subscription fee... that bastard makes me buy pet food on a monthly basis!

Anarchy
02-22-2014, 01:10 AM
And my wallet will be $15 a month fuller because of it. :)

To spend on something else equal in value.

Drth spartan
02-22-2014, 09:10 AM
game looks good but not with monthly fees that is 180 dollers per year, that is more then xbox live

Anarchy
02-22-2014, 10:44 AM
I could work an extra half an hour a week to make up that cost. Anything entertainment we do costs money.

Although, $60 release price is a bit much with the subscription. FFXIV:ARR charged $20 for the game up front, but it came with a free month, and the subscription is $12.99/month.

...But MMO games depreciate like a mofo in terms of entry price. A month after release you'll probably be able to buy the game itself for $30, which will come with a free month. Anything under that is unrealistic in terms of MMOs.

Realize that your $15/month pays for essentially streroid-DLC every other week. MMOs are developed over time as much as they are pre-release. Would you pay $15/month for Halo if they released 8 completely new, fully developed maps every month for everyone?

A movie ticket costs $10 here, and is only worth 1-2 hours of entertainment. A meal at a cheap fast food restaurant is $7.50. I'd rather pay $15/month for a game that gets massive updates every other week and stays fresh for years to come than $60 on a game that everyone stops playing after 2 months before moving on to the next $60 game that, again, everyone stops playing after 2 months.

VerbotenDonkey
02-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Honestly, I do pay 15 a month for WoW with my co-workers, when I am working. But since I don't work during the semester, it just hemorrhages my bank account haha. Still, and I know it's personal preference, WoW is still better for the 15 a month than Elder Scrolls. I didn't get to play end-game from ESO, but what I played I wasn't impressed with enough to pay a subscription fee like that.

But, for consoles it's fine since you don't have to pay the fee.

Anarchy
02-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Honestly, I do pay 15 a month for WoW with my co-workers, when I am working. But since I don't work during the semester, it just hemorrhages my bank account haha. Still, and I know it's personal preference, WoW is still better for the 15 a month than Elder Scrolls. I didn't get to play end-game from ESO, but what I played I wasn't impressed with enough to pay a subscription fee like that.

But, for consoles it's fine since you don't have to pay the fee.
The fee is there for all systems.

But like I said. If you wait a month or two and pick the game itself up for $30, it's worth it (first month is free as well). You're getting new content all the time. You can always cancel the sub when you're busy, then pick it back up.

I played it. It's good and worth it IMO. Especially considering how much of the world they play to open up.

Silko
02-22-2014, 01:53 PM
While I get the point you are making no mmo pumps out content as fast as you are saying they do. Content patchs are generally in a 2/3 month bases for most mmos. Been playing mmos for 8 years and not a single one pumps out content every other week or every month

Anarchy
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM
While I get the point you are making no mmo pumps out content as fast as you are saying they do. Content patchs are generally in a 2/3 month bases for most mmos. Been playing mmos for 8 years and not a single one pumps out content every other week or every month

Lots do. Not giant title updates, but content and support yes.

Silko
02-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Lots do. Not giant title updates, but content and support yes.

There is a difference between maintenance patches and small balance patches and content patches. Do MMOs patch frequently? Yes but only to maintain or correct bugs. Major content patches like new zones, new PvP areas or raids come out generally 2 to 3 months at a time.

I will use SWTOR as an example. They have done two major content updates since October. 2.4 the Dread Wars which introduced two new raids which are fairly challenging and very fun and changed the Ranked PvP system to a 4v4 deathmatch system and several maps to support it. Now between 2.4 and 2.5 they had 11 patchs. Two where launcher updates and the rest where to help deal with bugs that came with 2.4 and some bugs that have been around for a while. 2.5 came out on Dec. 3rd 2 months after 2.4. This introduced a free expansion, a space expansion. It was available to subs on the day it came out. SWTOR has 3 member stances, Subs, subs that now play for free or someone who spent some type of money and lastly Free to Play that haven't spent a dime. Former subs aka Prefer to Play where able to use the expansion some time in Jan and F2P are now able to use it with the current update 2.6 which came out Feb 4th. Along with 2.6 came a very shitty 4 man dungeon and a few more maps for the DLC. Over all 2.6 was very lean on content. SWTOR does not get another major patch aka 2.7 until Late April and 2.8 in June. So over all it follows the major content update every 2/3 months and has smaller updates to correct bugs and do small class balances along the way. But not every game does the major update every 2/3 months. WoW isn't putting out a single content patch until it's next expansion, which comes out June of this year but was relieved fall of last year. So that is over half a year of NO CONTENT patches

Over all, MMOs give content every once in a while not every other week.

Zeta Crossfire
02-22-2014, 02:16 PM
I really dislike most free to play games, I just keep thinking about money while I'm playing them. Am I not level ok by as fast because I didn't pay? Did he beat me because he bought better gear? Just don't lik it. If the game is good I'll gladly pay monthly for it.

Silko
02-22-2014, 04:16 PM
More and more MMOs are going to the Free to Play model because it can earn more revenue then a Pay to Play model. They make thier money on micro transactions. Some games have gone with a very strict version of this like SWTOR while other games such as GW2 and STO have gone with more giving versions. STO is by far the most giving out of all the F2P MMOs. Only difference between a sub and unsub are the following: Subs are put on top of the log in que, Subs get a monthly stipend of coins for the micro transactions store. Thats it. While other games like SWTOR limit you. Subs get the full game and the monthly stipend and the que priority. Prefer to Play only get a few things that Free to PLay do not. They get to hold more in game cash then Free to PLayers and can have more character slots. Free to Players do NOT get to take part of Raids unless they buy a weekly pass, they can only hold a very small amount of in game cash, they are limited to the amount of PvP they can do and the amount of dungeons they can do and they get a XP minus. They do not get all the rewards for quest and a large amount of quality of life items and customizations are not available to F2P. So if you are going to go F2P on a game look up the differences of sub vs unsub before you make your decision

Anarchy
02-22-2014, 07:01 PM
SWTOR isn't pay to play, so their frequency of content updates can't be compared. FFXIV, for instance, releases new events, quests, and content monthly, and is entirely P2P. Dungeons are always being upgraded, since the game has come out they've added an immense PVP system, the best player owned housing system I've ever seen, nearly doubled the dungeon count, added endgame content, and had about 4 holiday/miscellaneous events.

Microtransactions are a cheap way of milking the game that has already been made. More and more, MMOs are funded by investors looking to profit rather than make a good game. So as soon as subscriptions die out, microtransactions come in so more people play, and more people who are already hooked on the game spend. In the meantime, development is shoddy and the MMO ends up as a cash cow game that never develops further. It's not a sustainable model, so we get unsustainable MMOs.

Subscription based games live longer. WoW, Runescape, etc. Some with F2P and microtransactions work out as well, but there isn't nearly as much support or quality.

Relapsive
02-23-2014, 01:51 AM
Throughout this entire thread I have agreed with anarchy like 99%. Literally I would rather play a game that's subscription based rather then the free to play, BUT if you buy this you automatically become better then every-other free to play member. This is a person who has played over atleast like 12 MMO's atleast. So idk, i still think its worth it elder scrolls is one of the best series to ever come out and I believe its well worth the monthly membership, plus I doubt they will honestly keep that.

Silko
02-23-2014, 02:36 AM
SWTOR isn't pay to play, so their frequency of content updates can't be compared. FFXIV, for instance, releases new events, quests, and content monthly, and is entirely P2P. Dungeons are always being upgraded, since the game has come out they've added an immense PVP system, the best player owned housing system I've ever seen, nearly doubled the dungeon count, added endgame content, and had about 4 holiday/miscellaneous events.

Microtransactions are a cheap way of milking the game that has already been made. More and more, MMOs are funded by investors looking to profit rather than make a good game. So as soon as subscriptions die out, microtransactions come in so more people play, and more people who are already hooked on the game spend. In the meantime, development is shoddy and the MMO ends up as a cash cow game that never develops further. It's not a sustainable model, so we get unsustainable MMOs.

Subscription based games live longer. WoW, Runescape, etc. Some with F2P and microtransactions work out as well, but there isn't nearly as much support or quality.

I'm not trying to state that F2P is better then P2P. But this idea that all P2P games pump out content at the speed that you are suggesting is a false premise. As for the SWTOR example, it is a valid example as the game is still a Pay to Play game as you have to pay in order to have access to the full game. F2P players get access to maybe 50% of the game. If you like leveling toons and don't want to pay for it then SWTOR is the game to play. As to what Devon said, I personally do not support any Pay to Win system and that is not a system that should not be supported as it is not a sustainable model

Anarchy
02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Throughout this entire thread I have agreed with anarchy like 99%. Literally I would rather play a game that's subscription based rather then the free to play, BUT if you buy this you automatically become better then every-other free to play member. This is a person who has played over atleast like 12 MMO's atleast. So idk, i still think its worth it elder scrolls is one of the best series to ever come out and I believe its well worth the monthly membership, plus I doubt they will honestly keep that.

Given how popular Elder Scrolls is, price decreases would probably raise their revenue and player count a lot. It isn't a hardcore MMO after all, either cheap initial game price or cheaper subscriptions are almost inevitable.

Relapsive
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Ps. They are going to be having another beta this weekend and you can bring a friend if you have previously been accepted!

Nicholas Sapien
02-26-2014, 03:42 PM
no fuck off

Fuzzy
02-26-2014, 03:44 PM
no fuck off

2 week ban?

Silko
02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
2 week ban?

Relapsive
02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
2 week ban?

Legit
02-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Ps. They are going to be having another beta this weekend and you can bring a friend if you have previously been accepted!

I got an extra code if anyone would like it

Silko
02-27-2014, 10:13 PM
I'll take that code if you haven't given it to anyone yet