PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shave with a straight razor?

Zeta Crossfire
08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
I've been using a old school safety razor for the past 2 years, but I think I'm ready to start shaving with a straight razor. Does anyone else in FC use a straight razor and could point me to some good products, or even good advice? So far I've been told basically anything under $100 isn't worth my time, also to get a great moisturizer for when I'm done. I also use a badger brush already, but mine was the lowest quality Art of Shaving had so I plan on buying a newer one as well. Any advice is appreciated!

Silko
08-30-2014, 10:42 PM
No zeta I don't shave with razors from the 1940s cause I'm not a fucking hipster

Fernando Naranj
08-30-2014, 11:38 PM
No zeta I don't shave with razors from the 1940s cause I'm not a fucking hipster

Can you tell me why your respected?

Serious question.

Zeta Crossfire
08-31-2014, 12:01 AM
Old school is awesome. My Bread grows like crazy and I spend usually 50 a month on cartridges, 600 a year, nice thing about a straight razor is even though its 200 up front if you take care of it you'll have it for life.

*to add*

50 a month for traditional disposable razors
20 a month for safety

I hate beards

JEWmanji
08-31-2014, 12:13 AM
i do and i get all my stuff from here http://straightrazors.com/

Anarchy
08-31-2014, 12:15 AM
50 a month for traditional disposable razors

I can get through a month with $3 on disposables X_x

Zeta Crossfire
08-31-2014, 12:18 AM

The skin on my neck is very sensitive so anything other then really sharp blades will cause my skin to irritate. So after 1 shave I have to toss the blades.

What blade do you use?

Guzzie
08-31-2014, 12:20 AM
always wanted to try one of those. Been thinking about going to a barber and just see how it is.

Zeta Crossfire
08-31-2014, 12:21 AM
always wanted to try one of those. Been thinking about going to a barber and just see how it is.

If there is an Art of Shaving anywhere near you they do it. While its expensive their best package "the royal shave" is absolutely fantastic.

JEWmanji
08-31-2014, 12:42 AM
i have the horn damascus steel razor

Silko
08-31-2014, 01:45 AM

I use to use disposables but those things carve up my face. I now use the Hydra 5 blade. Worth the money and the blades last a fairly long time.

GhostHammer
08-31-2014, 02:10 AM
I've been using a old school safety razor for the past 2 years, but I think I'm ready to start shaving with a straight razor. Does anyone else in FC use a straight razor and could point me to some good products, or even good advice? So far I've been told basically anything under $100 isn't worth my time, also to get a great moisturizer for when I'm done. I also use a badger brush already, but mine was the lowest quality Art of Shaving had so I plan on buying a newer one as well. Any advice is appreciated!

Been using my Dovo for over 4 years now. Throw me a message if you have questions need info. I'm a little insane busy so that's the best way.

Zeta Crossfire
08-31-2014, 02:21 AM
Cool I'll hit you up later ghost hammer, dove is the starter one people keep recommending me.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
08-31-2014, 03:38 AM
I actually just did a 2 week trip to Ireland, and on my last day I went to an old fashioned barber to get a straight razor shave. Best shave of my life. Although I don't actually shave myself with a straight razor. I've had a beard almost 2 years now and I just trim it up every couple of weeks.

My advice is to find a good barber somewhere in your town and have them do it first to see if you prefer having a shave done that way.

P.S. if you decide to do that first I recommend avoid watching the movie Sweeny Todd, that's all I could think of during my shave.

Legit
08-31-2014, 09:23 AM
I've been using this Dovo Shavette (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P9IV6Y?psc=1) for about a year now as a starter. Its nice because if your razor is dull you just simply replace it.

Oh and i would definitely recommend watching a ton of beginner videos on youtube before you attempt shaving with one.

Sicarioano
08-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Or you could just not shave. That usually works for me when I don't feel like buying blades.