PDA

View Full Version : Scotland

Solus Exsequor
09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
In roughly 4 hours I will find out if my country will be free once again, I as a 17 year old took to the polls to vote today. For the first time ever, I proudly voted yes. I

I want to know what you guys think, I'll be up until 4am to find out my answer!

Anarchy
09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I perfectly understand doing something against London's bureaucracy, but Scotland being Independent will essentially give you guys the economic instability equivalent to Ireland.

Kiss economic confidence in the location, and access to U.K. higher education goodbye.

Zeta Crossfire
09-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Nearly any other country on the planet would want to be with the UK. Economic stability, military security, some of the best standards of living in the world, once Scotland leaves they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Solus Exsequor
09-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I perfectly understand doing something against London's bureaucracy, but Scotland being Independent will essentially give you guys the economic instability equivalent to Ireland.

Kiss economic confidence in the location, and access to U.K. higher education goodbye.

Scotland is massively self sustainable, an independent Scotland would be amongst the ten richest countries in the world. We will still have the pound as the UK's second biggest trading partner. With this, and new relations throughout the world this opens up and not only broadens Scotland's leading scientific higher education but opens up higher education throughout the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Nearly any other country on the planet would want to be with the UK. Economic stability, military security, some of the best standards mod living in the world, once Scotland leaves they are going to be in a world of hurt.

How would it feel to vote for a government but have no say. Currently in Scotland we have more pandas (2) than Tory MPs and guess who's in charge!

Rokkman X
09-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Go for it man. If the country is seriously voting on the issue, their leaders must believe they have the ability to survive on the world stage. I think Scotland will do great.

Anarchy
09-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Scotland is massively self sustainable, an independent Scotland would be amongst the ten richest countries in the world. We will still have the pound as the UK's second biggest trading partner. With this, and new relations throughout the world this opens up and not only broadens Scotland's leading scientific higher education but opens up higher education throughout the world.

Richest by what measure? There's a lot of different ways you can measure economic wealth, and many ways are very misleading. That also doesn't account for the people living in Scotland who would inevitably move back into the U.K. to keep their citizenship. And it definitely doesn't account for the complete lack of confidence anyone will have in your market and any potential Scotland owned companies.

That being said, plenty of companies that happen to be in Scotland will choose to stay attached to the U.K. simply because of the economic benefits of being with an established nation, which will in turn limit Scotland's income and economic independence+power.

The bond market will give Scotland a very low credit rating. If Scotland ever needs capital, which it will, it'll have to pay larger interest rates based on the uncertainty of the nation's future. That will in turn affect corporate bonds for the few corporations that do choose to stay headquartered in Scotland.

And I don't know why being under someone else's currency is a benefit. You're essentially at the mercy of their printing and their economy going bust, but you never reep the benefits if they do well. Actually, if the U.K. economy outpaces Scotland, you'll see inflation on the GBP outpace what would be normal for a less fast growing Scottish economy.

Solus Exsequor
09-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Go for it man. If the country is seriously voting on the issue, their leaders must believe they have the ability to survive on the world stage. I think Scotland will do great.

Thanks man! It's been a crazy few weeks leading up to this! Never have I saw this nation come together this much, or this much interest in politics! Rough estimated turnout is 86% currently!

However, something just break that there's reports of electoral fraud in Glasgow (our biggest city).

- - - Updated - - -

Richest by what measure? There's a lot of different ways you can measure economic wealth, and many ways are very misleading. That also doesn't account for the people living in Scotland who would inevitably move back into the U.K. to keep their citizenship. And it definitely doesn't account for the complete lack of confidence anyone will have in your market and any potential Scotland owned companies.

That being said, plenty of companies that happen to be in Scotland will choose to stay attached to the U.K. simply because of the economic benefits of being with an established nation, which will in turn limit Scotland's income and economic independence+power.

The bond market will give Scotland a very low credit rating. If Scotland ever needs capital, which it will, it'll have to pay larger interest rates based on the uncertainty of the nation's future. That will in turn affect corporate bonds for the few corporations that do choose to stay headquartered in Scotland.

And I don't know why being under someone else's currency is a benefit. You're essentially at the mercy of their printing and their economy going bust, but you never reep the benefits if they do well. Actually, if the U.K. economy outpaces Scotland, you'll see inflation on the GBP outpace what would be normal for a less fast growing Scottish economy.

Just been stated here that we would be a minimum of the 14th richest country in the western world. (sky news). We've also been told we get to choose between a UK or Scottish citizenship.

Another point is that we produce 60% of the UK's income but make up 20%ish of the population. And only get back 30% of it! estimated oil reserves currently shows between 5-15 trillion pounds!

Anarchy
09-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks man! It's been a crazy few weeks leading up to this! Never have I saw this nation come together this much, or this much interest in politics! Rough estimated turnout is 86% currently!

However, something just break that there's reports of electoral fraud in Glasgow (our biggest city).

- - - Updated - - -

Just been stated here that we would be a minimum of the 14th richest country in the western world. (sky news). We've also been told we get to choose between a UK or Scottish citizenship.

Another point is that we produce 60% of the UK's income but make up 20%ish of the population. And only get back 30% of it! Pathetic estimated oil reserves currently shows between 5-15 trillion pounds!

Peter Capaldi will be displeased with the fraud.

Solus Exsequor
09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Peter Capaldi will be displeased with the fraud.

Most certainly haha!

I'll try and keep you all updated. We are expecting the first of the 32 sections of Scotland's votes very soon!

Legendary Nova
09-18-2014, 07:49 PM
What I am wondering about is why Scotland wants to split. It is sitting right next to Britain and doesn't want to be a part of it anymore. What about the countries on the other side of the planet *cough*Australia*cough* that are still a part of the commonwealth. Scotland breaking from the UK might be the start of major speculation about whether other countries should go as well. America became independent, Scotland looks like it is. What's next to go?

Anarchy
09-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Another point is that we produce 60% of the UK's income but make up 20%ish of the population. And only get back 30% of it! Pathetic estimated oil reserves currently shows between 5-15 trillion pounds!

Like I said, many different ways to measure wealth.

Allowing people to choose one citizenship or another, it'll screw you there. Those who choose U.K. will give less in taxes. If you let people choose U.K. and still live in Scotland no problem, you're just going to see a LOT of people staying U.K. and you'll get a very split citizen base.

As for the income numbers, source and in what relevance? It's very broad to say "we" produce this and "we" get this, it could refer to the citizens themselves, corporations, OR the government itself. In any of those situations, you're not going to see any change with it if your government is independent.

Solus Exsequor
09-18-2014, 07:56 PM
What I am wondering about is why Scotland wants to split. It is sitting right next to Britain and doesn't want to be a part of it anymore. What about the countries on the other side of the planet *cough*Australia*cough* that are still a part of the commonwealth. Scotland breaking from the UK might be the start of major speculation about whether other countries should go as well. America became independent, Scotland looks like it is. What's next to go?

We want it because we are not being represented at all in the government that rule over us. Like I said, the Tories are in power currently however there are more Pandas in Scotland than there are Tory MPs. We have two pandas. And about 64 MPs

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, many different ways to measure wealth.

Allowing people to choose one citizenship or another, it'll screw you there. Those who choose U.K. will give less in taxes. If you let people choose U.K. and still live in Scotland no problem, you're just going to see a LOT of people staying U.K. and you'll get a very split citizen base.

As for the income numbers, source and in what relevance? It's very broad to say "we" produce this and "we" get this, it could refer to the citizens themselves, corporations, OR the government itself. In any of those situations, you're not going to see any change with it if your government is independent.

The main point In this all is that Scotland know how best to run Scotland. To choose what money goes where. To choose how much goes where

NervyDestroyer
09-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Go for it! America did the same thing... just without the you know diplomacy... actually it's kinda different... ok very different, but my point still stands! whatever the point may be...

Solus Exsequor
09-18-2014, 08:29 PM
First results !!

46% Yes
53% No

Silko
09-18-2014, 08:43 PM
I really really REALLY doubt this will be a No vote. My concerns are still the 40+ nukes the scots want out of their country and the fact that the UK will lose it's UN seat.

- - - Updated - - -

What I am wondering about is why Scotland wants to split.

Answer to that is easy. The Scots hate the English for treating them like 2nd class citizens for the past 1300 years

EagleOne
09-19-2014, 12:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/world/europe/scotland-independence-vote.html?_r=0

It's a NO.

Eagle out.

Silko
09-19-2014, 01:11 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/world/europe/scotland-independence-vote.html?_r=0

It's a NO.

Eagle out.

Well I am surprised. I really thought that Scotland would it's own nation.

Solus Exsequor
09-19-2014, 03:12 AM
I'm disgusted to say the least.

I'm away to start a fucking riot!

Anarchy
09-19-2014, 03:14 AM

You'll be thankful in 5 years when you need a job.

Barry Soap
09-19-2014, 08:22 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH YOU SUCK SCOTTISH KID

Yehsus
09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

Solus Exsequor
09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
You'll be thankful in 5 years when you need a job.

Certainly not next year when I'm paying out the ass for Uni!

In other news, I'm jumping on board with this;
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/09/19/wipe-your-eyes-on-your-feet/

Already the devolution powers we were promised in the event of a No vote are being retracted. 70 Tory MPs are going back on it and the Labour leader has come out and said he isn't accepting any new powers.

Aka, Scotland gets put back into it's box more oppressed than ever.

Nicholas Sapien
09-19-2014, 05:57 PM
yup

Silko
09-19-2014, 07:30 PM
yup

Yet another in depth analysis from our former blue field marshal. Thank you Nick

Nicholas Sapien
09-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Yet another in depth analysis from our former blue field marshal. Thank you Nick

np