PDA

View Full Version : First episode of nightfall is getting bad reviews.

Zeta Crossfire
11-06-2014, 11:51 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/6/7164047/ridley-scott-halo-nightfall-thoughts

Been seeing reviews of of the first episode of nightfall on many websites getting bad reviews. If course I'll watch it for myself but this just kind of instills that ridley Scott doesn't have his magic anymore. Halo needs a bigger budget then nightfall is getting.

Carpe Vexillum
11-06-2014, 01:28 PM
I started reading the review and by the end of the first paragraph I stopped and facepalmed due to the fact that there is contradictory evidence against all of his opinions. The show is a cut out of the halo timeline, not meant to deliver the entire world on a platter, which I dont think these critics understand. Ill wait and watch it myself.

I love this line. What credible sources for real.

"Oh, and spoiler: there's no Halo anymore. I guess it got blown up? I don't know if that's actually a spoiler, maybe that happened in one of the video games already."

Maxdoggy
11-06-2014, 02:59 PM
That writer is ridiculous. Nightfall was never billed as a made-for-TV, made-for-everyone show. It's bundled with the biggest collection of Halo ever for a damn reason.

Jam Cliché
11-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I might not be able to see the capital letters when characters keep talking about Elite Zealots, but I know they’re there.
What a dumbass. If it's a TITLE, you CAPITALIZE IT!

actors are way too handsome/beautiful to be real people, etc etc.
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/LRpPfldvgCdJ-j3pNhEpgN29FH0=/1100x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2433624/halo_nightfall_cast.0.jpe g

Real beauty here folks.

This article sucked, but a commenter pointed out something that needed to be said:

I think The Verge purposefully selected staff who weren’t fans of the series or universe – as that will be what holds this and future series up.

Halo fans alone can’t extend this universe into the mainstream.

Take the insane growth in popularity of the Marvel universe with mainstream movie-goers. 90% + of those who made The Avengers one of the highest grossing films of recent history likely have zero knowledge of the decades long history of those characters and/or universe. But Marvel has brought them to life in a mainstream way that works.

Until Microsoft can build a truly compelling and mainstream universe around Halo, these film and tv adaptations will fail.

Zeta Crossfire
11-06-2014, 04:12 PM
That's why I linked The Verges article over recent IGN, Polygon, ect articles because they choose people who didn't know know the material. I know this was placed inside MCC but MS is selling this collection to people who even if you are new to Halo can jump in and understand it. So far it seems like Nightfall is not doing that job.

silversleek
11-06-2014, 04:48 PM
That's why I linked The Verges article over recent IGN, Polygon, ect articles because they choose people who didn't know know the material. I know this was placed inside MCC but MS is selling this collection to people who even if you are new to Halo can jump in and understand it. So far it seems like Nightfall is not doing that job.

Or people are misunderstanding it's place. If you played halo three before two you'd be just as confused. Its meant as a sequal to... halo three i think?

Drth spartan
11-06-2014, 05:57 PM
ok so I did not get past this spot:

"This show was only green-lit because of the Halo name and it will die after this season because if this pilot is any indication it’s not only a bad Halo adaptation, it’s just a bad show"

Let me point something out it is not a tv show it is a mini series, and there is not going to be a second season because there is not a first season, I also doubt that they will try to rope people who don't know the story into watching this because it is only meant as a start for the halo 5 story just like halo forward unto dawn was like

Anarchy
11-06-2014, 10:26 PM
It's not meant to be a serious show. The Locke actor plays Locke's voice in the actual game, Nightfall is more of a side thing if anything. I don't think it's meant to be what they expect it to be.

That being said, when was a Halo television series ever actually any good. The anime thing was just awful. Forward unto dawn was only decent if you knew what was going on beforehand.

Graycochea
11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
So, the takeaway from this is that the reviewers don't really know what they're talking about because they've never played the games or read the books, so they don't understand the universe that's going on around the single episode that they saw?

Silko
11-06-2014, 11:13 PM
So, the takeaway from this is that the reviewers don't really know what they're talking about because they've never played the games or read the books, so they don't understand the universe that's going on around the single episode that they saw?

Basicly

Zeta Crossfire
11-07-2014, 12:38 AM

The point is the Nightfall won't help grow the Halo audience, which is what Halo needs.

HAVOK101
11-07-2014, 01:19 AM
"The point is the Nightfall won't help grow the Halo audience, which is what Halo needs."
Which is why they are releasing all four games with Master Chief all in one for the price of one game.

Zeta Crossfire
11-07-2014, 01:25 AM
"The point is the Nightfall won't help grow the Halo audience, which is what Halo needs."
Which is why they are releasing all four games with Master Chief all in one for the price of one game.

Yeah and they had the excellent opportunity to help people assimilate even more. It just seems like a missed opportunity.

Drth spartan
11-07-2014, 07:34 PM
I am just glad they are making it for Halo fans to enjoy

Legendary Nova
11-07-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only watch Nightfall if you get the MCC? If that's right, then how was it meant to sell to outside people anyway? For me, it looks more like an add-on rather than a standalone thing. You're only meant to watch it if you play Halo. Imagine it like a DLC map pack. You won't want to get it If you don't own the game.