PDA

View Full Version : Corporal Punishment

Houdini
06-11-2015, 10:43 PM
This is definitely one of my most out-there ideas.

Forerunner Conflict's infraction system needs corporal punishment. (I may be abusing the definition of corporal punishment with this suggestion)

There are certain violations of the accords that will always need to be dealt with by the official procedures of infractions and bans, but there are also some of the 'softer' violations that I don't see infractions/bans doing a good job of preventing or punishing.

In particular, infractions involving minor cases of mutual disrespect need to be handled in a way that helps prevent future conflicts. There are certainly exceptions, but the vast majority of situations involving disrespect are caused by people not caring about each other or not being aware of how their personal opinions and beliefs impact others.

In situations like these, I would like to see a form of "corporal punishment." The offending players should be compelled to play a few matches of custom games or matchmaking games together (with a mediator(s) present). The offending parties will be compelled/encouraged to talk out their differences or at least find a way to agree to disagree without being bitter. It is important that we get along, not necessarily agreeing with each other, but at least being able to carry on conversations with each other in a civilized manner.

I think a system like this would allow us to hold a higher standard of respect in the community. Currently, off-the-cuff slights or minor signs of disrespect are appropriately ignored. It doesn't make sense for somebody to be infracted for a minor offense that may have been made in good humor or without malicious intent. But these kinds of minor offenses are signs that people aren't particularly pleased with each other. We are a community, we may not always agree on everything, but we should be able to get along with each other.

A system that facilitates increased communications between parties in conflict to allow for better forms of communication would hopefully alleviate any tensions that may form before they escalate to a level that warrants an infraction.

Prevent problems before they occur.

Guzzie
06-11-2015, 10:53 PM
We will be giving people the chance to give constructive criticism as well as any positive comments, questions and concerns regarding the topic houdini had intended. The first signs of derailing and/or disrespectful, negative replies will result in the closing of the thread. Play nice.

W3z4b1
06-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Houdini told me this before hand, and this is a painting of my feelings.

http://i.imgur.com/MaCfLhi.png

I think we do need something to be done about these types of offenses, and this is a good idea. Just doubtful on our ability to cooperate with the people we offend :P

Houdini
06-11-2015, 10:57 PM
I think we do need something to be done about these types of offenses, and this is a good idea. Just doubtful on our ability to cooperate with the people we offend :P

The trick is the cooperating part. But I can't see us cooperating ever if we never communicate with each other.

Nicholas Sapien
06-12-2015, 03:12 AM
In a perfect world, we can communicate with each other to solve all our problems

silversleek
06-12-2015, 03:21 AM
make them drink the water.

bazongaman502
06-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Sorry, but this wouldn't work. This is something that would be great if they actually knew each other and were in the same room to communicate. Since it's on xbox, it's easy to just mute someone or just mute your mic.

It's a great idea, but wouldn't work for our situations. Forcing people to work together over the internet is something that just can't be done.

One idea that can be done and I have done to members of my squads when they acted out was to have the run laps around blood gulch for an hour straight. Failure to complete the objective or slacked during it, would get their punishment upgraded

Houdini
06-12-2015, 09:45 AM
One idea that can be done and I have done to members of my squads when they acted out was to have the run laps around blood gulch for an hour straight. Failure to complete the objective or slacked during it, would get their punishment upgraded

This was actually my original idea with this, but then I realized that this doesn't really do anything to help the situation after. Both parties would still be mad at each other.

It may be hard to get people into a room together, and even harder to get them to talk to each other, but honestly if we make the incentives line up appropriately I think people would be willing to talk it out.

RaZ Vader
06-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Was always a fan of the OP.

bazongaman502
06-12-2015, 11:17 AM
This was actually my original idea with this, but then I realized that this doesn't really do anything to help the situation after. Both parties would still be mad at each other.

It may be hard to get people into a room together, and even harder to get them to talk to each other, but honestly if we make the incentives line up appropriately I think people would be willing to talk it out.

Tell that to me and Silko.... that'll never work between us haha

Silko
06-12-2015, 01:00 PM
make them drink the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for double post, but where the fuck did you come from?

Nicholas Sapien
06-12-2015, 05:01 PM

OMG IT LIVES

Houdini
06-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Tell that to me and Silko.... that'll never work between us haha

Y'all just need a really good mediator.

Maxdoggy
06-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Don't mind him, an old dinosaur got let out of his cage at Jurassic World.

Also, making kids drink the water was fun. Either they took it and grew up or they left (as they should have).

Graycochea
06-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Private Crime and Corporal Punishment!

I don't think I like this idea. I wouldn't be able to play my favorite game: Messin' with Silko.

Dark Remalf
06-13-2015, 12:18 PM
I support this idea houdini, It'll be a challange but I believe we can do it, see how it turns out.