PDA

View Full Version : CISA is now law in the USA

Maxdoggy
12-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Last night, Congress and President Obama passed the new budget bill, which included the late-addition of CISA, the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act. This is the same act that was formerly called CISPA that was defeated multiple times because of we the people's outrage over what it does. Instead of trying to pass it as its own bill, Congress snuck it in a 2000+ page must-pass budget bill.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/18/house-senate-pass-budget-with-cisa/

Now what does CISA do, you may ask? It allows companies to share private consumer data with both other companies and the government for cybersecurity, or "other" reasons. The "other" clause lets them share our information for whatever reason without being held accountable, as this bill makes it so that we cannot hold such companies responsible for sharing our private information.

"But I've got nothing to hide, so it's not that bad", you may say. This bill allows the government to access your personal accounts, logins, and stored data without a warrant, effectively destroying the 4th Amendment which prevents unlawful search and seizure. Do you torrent movies or TV shows? Now the government has a legal avenue for tracking that. The government is now allowed to request the wiretapping of your Internet behavior without a warrant.

Additionally, I don't trust the government's track record in securing my data, as the government couldn't even protect the Office of Personnel Management's personal files from hackers based in China.

But what can you do to prevent stuff like this from happening again? Vote out every single senator and congressperson who voted for this budget bill. Don't vote for presidential candidates who supported this bill. Here's a list: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/114-2015/h705

Sir Nihlus
12-19-2015, 10:28 AM
I have read this multiple times, and I honestly still can't believe how something like sneaking an unrelated bill to a budgetary one is even legal. Like, what the actual f*ck? That's not democracy in the slightest.

Maxdoggy
12-19-2015, 10:38 AM
I have read this multiple times, and I honestly still can't believe how something like sneaking an unrelated bill to a budgetary one is even legal. Like, what the actual f*ck? That's not democracy in the slightest.

Agreed. That irks me the most. In theory, adding related bills together makes sense as it reduces debate time and the procedure (say for example you have a bill that legalizes marijuana and then another which releases those who were incarcerated for it), but it's been twisted violently in recent years.

Fun fact: The Articles of Confederation outlawed such practices.

Fun quote:

"Americans fought a revolution in part over the right to be free from unreasonable searches. To ensure that our government couldn't come knocking in the middle of the night for no reason.

We need to find a way forward to make sure we can stop terrorists while protecting privacy and liberty of innocent Americans.

We have to find a way to give the President the power he needs to protect us while making sure he doesn't abuse that power. It is possible to do that. We have done it before. We could do it again."
-Senator Obama, 2006

Barry Soap
12-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I see this raising so many alarm bells that it will be forced out of America :P

Maxdoggy
12-19-2015, 11:01 AM
I see this raising so many alarm bells that it will be forced out of America :P

I haven't seen a single major news outlet (outside of tech blogs) talk about it.

I doubt more than 5% of Americans know about it.

GREATNESS 212
12-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Not to sound like a conspiracy nut but this is exactly why I have ZERO faith in the government. They don't give a shit about us; if they did, they wouldn't be trying to force a bill through that was denied several times, year after year. Of course they would have to do it covertly since the first time they tried to pass this nonsense was met with insane uproar from EVERYBODY, this doesn't benefit you nor I in the slightest.

Democracy loopholes ftw? Constitution nullification ftw?

Mythonian
12-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Isn't having a corrupt government fantastic? WOOO~

ObamaCare in 2010, giving the government unprecedented control over people's access to healthcare.
NDAA at the start of 2012, allowing the government to arrest and imprison citizens even without proof or due process.
The entire NSA issue, with the government using unconstitutional, illegal, and lawless surveillance on it's citizenry.
CISA in 2015... Careful, Big Brother is now legally watching.

Thanks, Obama.

On another note, House Speaker Paul Ryan should be blacklisted now for allowing this to happen.

Drth spartan
12-19-2015, 05:30 PM
I wonder if even the new candidates for president know about this

Sir Nihlus
12-19-2015, 06:38 PM
I wonder if even the new candidates for president know about this

If they didn't, they would be doing it wrong. Being a politician and all that.

Legendary Nova
12-19-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA YOUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS

Seriously though, your country's government is so stupidly messed up in so many ways... I honestly do feel sorry for you.

I'm not sure on the exact details, but if someone like your government starts tracking stuff I do, wouldn't it be some sort of espionage or something like that since I'm in a different country? Let's go with that :P

HighLight
12-19-2015, 08:48 PM
fak

CrazyKiller4561
12-20-2015, 01:13 AM
I'm sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA YOUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS

Seriously though, your country's government is so stupidly messed up in so many ways... I honestly do feel sorry for you.

I'm not sure on the exact details, but if someone like your government starts tracking stuff I do, wouldn't it be some sort of espionage or something like that since I'm in a different country? Let's go with that :P

They would just expedite you like they did with the pirate bay guy! xD I believe that's the right word.

Fernando Naranj
12-20-2015, 11:32 AM
The 'I can't even' scale is at an all time high.

NervyDestroyer
12-20-2015, 03:43 PM
What the fuck? Is this for real?

IS THIS FOR FUCKING REAL?!

Dude this is some fucked up bullshit right here. That is some serious shit. Same as Lith, I had to re-read it like 20 times to fully register the possibruity of that monstrosity of a bill.

Sigh, oh America, first suppression of religious freedom, then suppression of warrant necessity. What is Constitution? What do Constitution?

AbnormallyLilith
12-20-2015, 09:13 PM
first suppression of religious freedom
Wat?

NervyDestroyer
12-21-2015, 01:51 AM
Wat?

Well the fact that most Americans want nothing to do with Islam, yes I would consider it a suppression

Maxdoggy
12-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Well the fact that most Americans want nothing to do with Islam, yes I would consider it a suppression

I'd prefer if we not make this thread about religion. That's a whole other can of worms.

Speaking of worms, yay Congress!

NervyDestroyer
12-21-2015, 02:11 PM
I'd prefer if we not make this thread about religion. That's a whole other can of worms.

Speaking of worms, yay Congress!

Sounds a good idea to me yay Congress!

Solus Exsequor
12-21-2015, 07:00 PM
I was going to make a joke about this but quite simply I cannot. It is too outrageous that this made it through