PDA

View Full Version : Age Limit? (Community Poll)

VerbotenDonkey
06-29-2011, 05:55 PM
So, as most of you probably know, the War Council has decided upon a majority vote that the age limit for participating in Forerunner Conflict events is now 15 years of age. I was talking to a few of you over the Facebook group today and most of you thought that the age of 13 was a better mandate than the current one.

Now I ask you, as a community, what do /YOU/ think should be the age limit? I can not guarentee that this poll will affect the War Councils decision in the least, however long ago Forerunner Conflict actually did away with the War idea and just was a Gaming Community. But one poll brought those Wars back and we are here today. So its worth at least something.

OzzyIzSick
06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
None, maturity level.

VerbotenDonkey
06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
None, maturity level.

I agree with this, but that would have to be an entirely different section, and would be harder to control, unless we went just with the Instructers judgement.

Silko
06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I like the 15 idea. If I where to push it down any further I would say 14 at the MOST. I just got an ear infection after 15 years of not have a single infection period. So the last thing I need is a damnable squeaker!

LocoCrazy
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
My requested age isnt there.

II Recanz II
06-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Pointless poll is pointless. You put it in open convo, where alot of the younger members of FC are going to be able to see it.

The ages of said members are probably 13-14, so you can defiantly expect alot of bias voting.

Kuhblam
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
The matter is already being discussed in the WC.

~Kuhblam

EriRi 1138
06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Pointless poll is pointless. You put it in open convo, where alot of the younger members of FC are going to be able to see it.

The ages of said members are probably 13-14, so you can defiantly expect alot of bias voting.

Dude, any poll you let the community vote on will have bias. It's called having opinions. Chillax. Like any other vote, this is for the WC to look at and take note of. It's never official. But it helps a hell of a lot.

LocoCrazy
06-29-2011, 07:14 PM
^Bro's generals bitches^

GhostHammer
06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Pointless poll. This is not a democracy. The Forerunners have made their choice. Live with it. Don't like it, leave.

silversleek
06-29-2011, 07:38 PM
None, maturity level.

this. i vehemently oppose any age restrictions due to personal reasons. In the past i've had to put up with enough ageism. maturity level is the best way, i've seen 8 year olds way more mature with deeper voices then some 20+ year olds i know.

bazongaman502
06-29-2011, 07:42 PM
the current members under the age of 15 wont be kicked out, they actually wont be affected at all, however future players have to fit the requirement... i actually agree to this, 15 is the right age, cuz at that age they tend to have experience playing halo online... not just campaign

Yehsus
06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
My requested age isnt there.

This.

Nocte
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Pointless poll. This is not a democracy. The Forerunners have made their choice. Live with it. Don't like it, leave.

This is the truth.

The truth is that some 13 or 14 years that can be mature. However their are most cases against those mature few. Then again anyone can be immature. I've done before and I'm 16. Fact is alot of members in this community can be very immature. Another fact is that those members who are in this community can understand when they've been immature and won't do it again. Or they don't care and will do it again. That of course is where infractions step in. 13 and 14 year olds however generally can't see how they have been immature and get pissy when you call them out on it. So keeping them out of this community is actaully very helpful.

RaZ Vader
06-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Always different sides of the coin. Both sides make compelling arguments. Although we made a decision, it is always up for a small change or discussion. Donkey, your a valued member of FC, always have been and always will. I'll consider this poll, and maybe we can work something out

EriRi 1138
06-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Always different sides of the coin. Both sides make compelling arguments. Although we made a decision, it is always up for a small change or discussion. Donkey, your a valued member of FC, always have been and always will. I'll consider this poll, and maybe we can work something out

This

Vestige
06-29-2011, 11:11 PM

^

KillerGUNNY132
06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
None, maturity level.

This.

I already made my post on the subject in the announcement topic. But I 100 percent agree with OzzyIzSick.

People can be mature at 13 or 14. Hell, they can even be mature at 12 like I was. When you implement an age limit like this, you kill off SO MANY potential members. And with one of the main problems right now being recruiting, I would think you would want to give yourself the opportunity to get as many members as possible.

Once again, I think the MAIN goal of this community right now is to get ourselves out there. Garner some sort of attention. We've been this underground War-Sim/Gaming Community for too long. I feel its about time we hit the "Mainstream" for lack of a better word. And I feel implementing an age limit would REALLY hinder any kind of progress in that direction. But if we were to have an age limit, I would vote for 13. Thats how old you have to be to join XBL, thats the age limit to many websites across the net aswell.

Captain Poder
06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
^^
Inspiration

Ex Zen Mute
06-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I vote for 17.

GhostHammer
06-29-2011, 11:53 PM
This.

I already made my post on the subject in the announcement topic. But I 100 percent agree with OzzyIzSick.

People can be mature at 13 or 14. Hell, they can even be mature at 12 like I was. When you implement an age limit like this, you kill off SO MANY potential members. And with one of the main problems right now being recruiting, I would think you would want to give yourself the opportunity to get as many members as possible.

Once again, I think the MAIN goal of this community right now is to get ourselves out there. Garner some sort of attention. We've been this underground War-Sim/Gaming Community for too long. I feel its about time we hit the "Mainstream" for lack of a better word. And I feel implementing an age limit would REALLY hinder any kind of progress in that direction. But if we were to have an age limit, I would vote for 13. Thats how old you have to be to join XBL, thats the age limit to many websites across the net aswell.

This is true. I first joined at 13. The problem is that those recruiting arn't doing their homework on those that they are recruiting. I speak for my own recruitment in that Raz recruited me way back when. He did his homework and saw that I wasn't a "squeaky" 13 year old. If everyone did this, rather than just recruiting, we'd have no issues in the first place.

Quality > Quantity ALWAYS when it comes to recruitment.

VerbotenDonkey
06-30-2011, 02:39 AM

Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from you. I only ask that if I can find people below the age group who you think will be qualified to join, that you review them. However, it may turn them away from the community when they have to be "specially observed" only because of their age.

Nocte
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from you. I only ask that if I can find people below the age group who you think will be qualified to join, that you review them. However, it may turn them away from the community when they have to be "specially observed" only because of their age.

Or it could make them better members to the community. I've always done a test on the younger recruits. Just slightly piss them off. If they freak out way to much then it is a no go. It's worked everytime... You guys came from a different generation of kids. These kids today are whiny, must always have their way, and completely self-centered. Trust me I have a 14 year old brother and only two of his friends have been mature during the years of me knowing then from 13 to 14. That's 2 out his entire grade of about 2 thousand kids.

Most of these kids don't even respect their own parents. How are we going to get them to respect any of us?

d3ad1te
06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Or it could make them better members to the community. I've always done a test on the younger recruits. Just slightly piss them off. If they freak out way to much then it is a no go. It's worked everytime... You guys came from a different generation of kids. These kids today are whiny, must always have their way, and completely self-centered. Trust me I have a 14 year old brother and only two of his friends have been mature during the years of me knowing then from 13 to 14. That's 2 out his entire grade of about 2 thousand kids.

Most of these kids don't even respect their own parents. How are we going to get them to respect any of us?

Every generation has those kids.

Scarekro
06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Every generation has those kids.

It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. When I was in seventh grade, the eighth graders were the teachers' favorite year because they were so well-behaved. My grade was a little less so when we became eighth graders. The year below us were constantly getting in trouble, with the boys being douches to each other and the girls being bitchy to their own friends. I remember my science teacher saying that he was worried about next year because of how the seventh graders treated each other. True, every generation has it, but it's been getting worse from what I've seen.

Deathhawk
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM

I partially-disagree with that attitude, the WC is not perfect, if we don't contest some decisions, they won't necessarily be for the betterment of the community.

I do think that the WC makes the right decision alot of the time, with accords and such, but there is frequent defects from that.
And we should follow what they say, but this could be a big decision, the community should at least be heard.
(Which they are)

EriRi 1138
06-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree with Dalton.

The WC does what's in their and the community's best interest, despite what the community's majority opinion is. Typically, their judgement is sound considering they hold the titles that they do. So for the most part, their decisions are good ones. But just because they decide on one thing, with their 3/4 votes doesn't always mean it's the best thing. Again, typically it is, but it's good to have community feedback.

Speaking from the experience of being on the war council a few times, I understand the decision-making process, and I've always felt that community polls or topics help me as a leader take a second perspective on a lot of matters, and that helps me make even more informed decisions.

So I wouldn't say the poll is pointless. It won't directly change any results, but like anything else, it has the potential to inform the War Council of the community's opinion, which should always be taken into consideration, at least.

bazongaman502
06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I agree with the new rule about the age limit, however reading everyone elses posts, im kinda leaning towrds bringing it back down to 13... maybe 14...

Now FC wants to have a "big name" for itself, however alot of people are joining clans or other groups at the age of 13-14... thats like the recruitment stage. People above that age are hard to find, and usually requires some work to get them to join.

We also need to advertise FC better. We need better recruitment videos and put them on Machinima.com or something. Just placing it of FCs youtube page wont accomplish anything, cuz people will have to look through pages for it... on average a new episode on Machinima.com gets atleast 300+views in under 5 min... thats alot of possibilities right there, sure we will get hate messages and thumbs down, but atleast were sticking our neck out.

Im willing to help on the new recruitment videos if we are to do that.

Nocte
06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
We want to get bigger we follow deadites approach machinima. He suggested it and I don't think we went to far with it. I saw we make promotional videos for both armies. Carpe and deadite?

bazongaman502
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM
We want to get bigger we follow deadites approach machinima. He suggested it and I don't think we went to far with it. I saw we make promotional videos for both armies. Carpe and deadite?

more like anyone, the current ones we have aren't that appealing (sorry).. i know someone can do better and will do better... im willing to help out on it as much as possible and i know im not the only one

Deathhawk
06-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Don't worry about it... things are being done.

Great paraphrasing, Eri. (srsly)

Vestige
06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Heres what we need a universal Enlistment promoitional vidoe so basicly its saying join FC either army and put it on Machinima thye will take it why? cause its a halo COMMUNITTY something big machinima will like it.

EriRi 1138
06-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Time to start a new topic about the machinima elsewhere, guys.

GhostHammer
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I partially-disagree with that attitude, the WC is not perfect, if we don't contest some decisions, they won't necessarily be for the betterment of the community.

I do think that the WC makes the right decision alot of the time, with accords and such, but there is frequent defects from that.
And we should follow what they say, but this could be a big decision, the community should at least be heard.
(Which they are)

True, but the point of the WC is to think of the comunity. Just seems a little pointless to have a WC we're supposed to trust to make the right choices if people cleary feel they don't at times. I dunno, just feels like a lot of people round here lately fel they have an awful lot of power for a member of a community they don't infact run. Last I checked no one was holding people here, if I don't like the rules/choices made by the community leaders, I can do one of three things.

1. Leave
2. Live with it
3. Speak to someone about my concerns

Problem I find is you have an awful lot of people undermining the choices of VERY experienced people without any prior experience themseleves. I still say the root of this issue is because people arn't trained to recruit properly. There is a reason we used to do LONG and BORING/RIDICULOUS bootcamps where we run laps all day and do up-downs forever. It's to see who's mature enough to take some BS so we weed out those who really don't want to be mature and participate.

This problem is recruitment and how it's done, not the age of those recruited. I highly suggest we replace the leaky pipe rather than try and put more tape over it.

EriRi 1138
06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
You make some pretty damn valid points, Cody.

Kuhblam
06-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Cody, have my babies.

~Kuhblam

EriRi 1138
06-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Cody, have my babies.

~Kuhblam

Back off. I saw him first.

Kuhblam
06-30-2011, 06:19 PM
That's what you think...

~Kuhblam

zZ Dr K Zz
07-01-2011, 12:22 AM
"Old enough to pee, good enough for me."

I'm pretty sure that applies here.

GhostHammer
07-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Cody, have my babies.

~Kuhblam

Back off. I saw him first.

Gentlemen there is plenty of Cody to go around, fear not. But seriously, let's all work on proper recruitment.

RENGADE 0F FUNK
07-02-2011, 11:43 PM
oh god damnit i voted 13 not 15

Coldest
07-03-2011, 12:13 PM
^^^ FlameWars Started(This War): 3

age does not matter.