PDA

View Full Version : Writing/Backstory Department?

Scarekro
08-09-2011, 12:50 AM
So GhostHammer, EAGLE, and I (along with a few others) have been discussing the fact that there's been no official FC backstory written up in terms of events that have happened within our community's role playing story. So why not have a department specifically for writing the expanded backstory, omitting names/locations?

Fuzzy
08-09-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't think we need a whole department to get this done just a select few members.

Nocte
08-09-2011, 12:56 AM
We will have a set group to be the creators of the official time-line and tech. Then anyone that has a cannon entry sends it to that group to make sure everything is in check with the back story.

Scarekro
08-09-2011, 12:57 AM
I don't think we need a whole department to get this done just a select few members.

But here's the thing: we already have people writing it. But it's taking FOREVER. If we have a department dedicated to writing the story, it'll get done faster.

GhostHammer
08-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Here was my take.

We have a group who write the Official FC story from Covenant War End to Battle For Reach, no details in terms of people, battles, etc. It's more a story of what happened ot get to this point that coinsides with the historo of FC, for example.

1. Human/Cov war ends
2. UNSC Loses control, Empire starts
3. RvB Retaliation, The "Blues" retaliate the the Empire, warlords start picking sides
4. FC, battle for Forerunner tech begins between the Empire and the Blue
5. Un-easy peace declared due to massive casualties on both sides
6. FC Reborn, the conflict is renewed and the battle for the Forerunner tech continues
7. FC Revolutions, much FR tech destroyed/used, the conflict is reborn again focusing on Reach

This is just my basic idea of the timeline that works with both the story and our community history.

Then when it comes to the details, specific battles, characters, etc, that would be written by members who would submit their stories to the "Backstory Department" who would ensure good quality writing and correct reference to the official story. Once done and approved, that story would be posted to add deph and details.

In such, people would write "fan ficition" on the FC story, allowing everyone to have their stories put into our backstory.

VerbotenDonkey
08-09-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure Kuhblams Story was the official backstory, but not what happened before it. I just came up with some random story way before-hand that after the Covenant-Human War ended, the leaders of the UNSC got together to discuss how the territories gained from the combat would be separated, however certain leaders already planned to coup and a surprise battle took place on Sandtrap (the neutral map we used to start on every time on Halo 3.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27aNN0tJJU&feature=related

Werent these our early origins? (although its opposite from what we have now lol with Blue being the 'Empire'.)

If there is a team assigned to create backstory, I would love to volunteer. I love writing.

RetRdidMunkie
08-09-2011, 02:34 AM
I thought either Eri or Kuhblam made one?

EriRi 1138
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Kuhblam's story is cannon. The factions I have already created are cannon. As long as you don't change what's already been put down, I wouldn't mind it. And, just like all new Star Wars material goes through George Lucas before it's published as official cannon, I'd appreciate if whoever wants to add to the official cannon ran it by Kuhblam or myself.

That being said, anyone can write 'fannon' and you don't need anyone's permission to do so. Fannon is your interpretation of the universe. I understand that's not the main focus of the topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there for others.

But again, if anyone is going to legitimately add to what cannon we've already established, please run it by Kuhblam and myself.

Nocte
08-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Honestly EriRi this idea is for the exact purpose that you just said. We want to allow writers in this community to write materiel that is cannon with our back story. So then we can have sn expansive universe that this community solely creates off the idea of Halo.

Nocte
08-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Honestly EriRi this idea is for the exact purpose that you just said. We want to allow writers in this community to write materiel that is cannon with our back story. So then we can have sn expansive universe that this community solely creates off the idea of Halo.

EriRi 1138
08-09-2011, 05:33 AM
....I know? That's why I said all that.

By the way, nice double post :P

RaZ Vader
08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I thought Kuhblam's story was good enough. But if you all want to add more, be my guest

d3ad1te
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I just edited those two backstory shits together what yall talking about

EriRi 1138
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Exactly, Deadite. The stuff we already have is cannon, don't worry. If anyone wants to add to the fiction we've already laid down they can, however, so long as it doesn't conflict with what we already have. And so long as it doesn't conflict with the 1st or 2nd Law.

VerbotenDonkey
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I've been thinking about expanding BLUE's history about how it was created a little.

And I've always fantasized about REDD having like Princes and stuff xD

Kuhblam
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
As Eri said, I have indeed written the official backstory with him in coordination. This is what Maxdoggy talked about.

Anyone is free to write "fanon" stories however they please. HOWEVER, anything seriously legitimate with the intention of linking to our universe must be directed to me and him for signing off on. Otherwise, I will destroy any labeling that says "canon" on it. I have already created the backgrounds of the factions as well; if you want to add anything there, it goes through me and Eri as well.

~Kuhblam

Daaaah Whoosh
08-09-2011, 04:31 PM
First of all, I believe it's spelled 'canon'.

Secondly, I have an idea for a story taking place in the present-day FC universe, involving a SPARTAN who returns to his home colony. I'd like to detail what happened on the economic side of things, as well as the roles of post-Covenant aliens' roles in human society, as well as how the war between REDD and BLUE works outside of the major conflicts. Would that still have to be approved? And also where is the official backstory, so I can correspond to it?

Kuhblam
08-09-2011, 04:44 PM
First of all, I believe it's spelled 'canon'.

Secondly, I have an idea for a story taking place in the present-day FC universe, involving a SPARTAN who returns to his home colony. I'd like to detail what happened on the economic side of things, as well as the roles of post-Covenant aliens' roles in human society, as well as how the war between REDD and BLUE works outside of the major conflicts. Would that still have to be approved? And also where is the official backstory, so I can correspond to it?

You'd need to send me the full plot-line once it's fleshed out so I can clear anything up if need be.

For the official backstory (which is still being worked upon), head out to Creative Writing and look at 'The Fires of Heaven.' Chapter 1 contains the prologue which gives a rough outline of our background. The beginning of the Accords provides additional information.

~Kuhblam