PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Laptop

Acid
08-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm not actually looking for a laptop for myself, but for a friend. The most graphic intensive game he'll be playing is Skyrim, he might be getting BF3.
He doesn't need it to be max settings he just wants a decent gaming laptop.
He'll have about $600-$700 to spend. But we need money to spare so he can get some of the games (i.e Skyrim)

I've been looking on Newegg but the graphic cards in some of these laptops aren't very good.

DarkS1de Reborn
08-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Asus makes great comps and for gaming.

DarkS1de Reborn
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
The newer model of mine the asus K52F runs with a core i3 processor and uses the intel graphics media accelerator HD card with 4GB of ram and a 500GB hard drive. Processor speed is 2.4GHz. I play WoW and other crap on steam. And it costs less than $600.

Acid
08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I found this. What do you guys think. It actually seems really nice for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168 34214190

Metkil5685
08-13-2011, 06:56 PM
You got a few problems here. You want enough performance to play Skyrim and BF3 at a decent level (playable level), but you don't want to spend over $700. Now with a desktop this would be easy as hell, but laptops get more expensive faster the more performance you get. We also have no idea how well optimized the games will be to begin with, considering they are not out yet. If they act like their predecessors in terms of optimization, its going to require a decent machine to play even lower settings.

That laptop you linked it most likely the best your going to get for this price range. How well is it going to perform with these games? I have no clue. You might be able to get away with low/med settings in a low resolution, but most likely will still have some chop.

Honestly, if you want to play the new games coming out, I have to point at desktops. They will last longer and you will get more for your money (that is unless you don't have a monitor or TV to use). They will also most likely play the games better at higher setttings.

Fiery Grave
08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
You got a few problems here. You want enough performance to play Skyrim and BF3 at a decent level (playable level), but you don't want to spend over $700. Now with a desktop this would be easy as hell, but laptops get more expensive faster the more performance you get. We also have no idea how well optimized the games will be to begin with, considering they are not out yet. If they act like their predecessors in terms of optimization, its going to require a decent machine to play even lower settings.

That laptop you linked it most likely the best your going to get for this price range. How well is it going to perform with these games? I have no clue. You might be able to get away with low/med settings in a low resolution, but most likely will still have some chop.

Honestly, if you want to play the new games coming out, I have to point at desktops. They will last longer and you will get more for your money (that is unless you don't have a monitor or TV to use). They will also most likely play the games better at higher setttings.

this is generally true.... my 3 year old 500$ desktop can play most new games at low - med settings (but it is 3 years old) while my 1 month old laptop (I got a model that just came out like a week before i picked it up) around 1200$ can play them at high settings but there is a massive gap in time and price between the two. Skyrim and BF3 are going to be games that demand a lot out of graphics and processor (skyrim won't be as bad with graphics but killer on processor... and battlefield would be killer on processor and graphics)

that laptop you pointed out would probably be the best you would get for the price range but it is originally 800$ your just saving some money cause of the special they are having and that graphics card is over a year old now so be wary of it being able to play new games are good settings.... though it is decently powerful for a laptop card

DarkS1de Reborn
08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%2 6%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown/1257181.p?id=121824323037 1&skuId=1257181

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+I I+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Mood+Indigo/2042036.p?id=121830696567 1&skuId=2042036

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%2 6%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Lake+Blue/2712418.p?id=121834663437 8&skuId=2712418

All three of these computers are a lot better than that Toshiba Sat.... Or any Toshiba lol. That graphics card is nice but the computer not so much. But I do believe the Intel or UMA would work just fine... But I couldn't tell you because I have a Nivdia

Fiery Grave
08-13-2011, 07:44 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%2 6%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown/1257181.p?id=121824323037 1&skuId=1257181

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+I I+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Mood+Indigo/2042036.p?id=121830696567 1&skuId=2042036

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%2 6%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Lake+Blue/2712418.p?id=121834663437 8&skuId=2712418

All three of these computers are a lot better than that Toshiba Sat.... Or any Toshiba lol. That graphics card is nice but the computer not so much. But I do believe the Intel or UMA would work just fine... But I couldn't tell you because I have a Nivdia

except they all have a major graphical disadvantage

and is someone an asus fanboy? :P there are no real brand names in the computer hardware world the closest thing is the "mac vs pc" thing

DarkS1de Reborn
08-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Uh ASUS is the maker of most mother boards sitting inside computers so I prefer to go straight with them and considering their comps RAPE and have decent stuff to them at a decent price they are by far better than most pcs out there. The graphics card might not be all that great but you can buy the cheapest asus with an i3 2.4ghz processor that will run circles around the toshiba and replace the graphics card with a nicer one. I mean ASUS makes Radeon to lol.

You can get a great Nvidia GeForce card or this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+GeForce+GTS450+1GB+GDDR5 +PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics +Card/2193269.p?id=121831332361 0&skuId=2193269&st=graphic cards&cp=1&lp=2 and put it in your comp for the same price as that toshiba...

Acid
08-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Like I said it's not for me. I have a pretty fine desktop. It's for my friend. He's a bit on the poorer end and he's saved up all summer. But the graphics card this one has is pretty decent. It also has a Intel Core i5 Processor which is pretty good.

Chances are this will play Crysis 2 near max settings.

I also said maybe BF3. Plus MY current Graphics card is almost a year old and I played my friends copy of BF:BC pretty smoothly.

EDIT: I just checked Skyrim's system requirements. This laptop should be able to run it with all settings on Medium and some Anti-Aliasing on. While running smoothly.

Fiery Grave
08-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Like I said it's not for me. I have a pretty fine desktop. It's for my friend. He's a bit on the poorer end and he's saved up all summer. But the graphics card this one has is pretty decent. It also has a Intel Core i5 Processor which is pretty good.

Chances are this will play Crysis 2 near max settings.

I also said maybe BF3. Plus MY current Graphics card is almost a year old and I played my friends copy of BF:BC pretty smoothly.

EDIT: I just checked Skyrim's system requirements. This laptop should be able to run it with all settings on Medium and some Anti-Aliasing on. While running smoothly.

minimum requirements does not always mean it can run well at that... i had more than minimum requirements for dead rising 2 and it lagged like hell...

he is better off looking for a good used gaming laptop if he needs to be on the cheap....

dark... ATI makes radeon... not asus.... and this is a laptop changing graphics cards is not easy and sometimes voids warranty on a new computer (mostly laptops).

Asus doesn't really do anything that special... my compaq desktop was a great deal at the time and my HP laptop was a good deal for the price.... (this thing is a power house)

Acid an I3 processor would be more than you would need for anything as they are incredibly powerful... if your stuck between choosing an I3 or a slightly more expensive I5 go for the I3 cause your not going to use the difference in power

Synaster Wolf
08-13-2011, 10:22 PM
To play Battlefield 3 to a point where it looks good, requires an extreme graphics card here are the recommended stats for Battlefield 3s Alpha Trial (I was in)

Windows 7 or Vista (SP1)
EA Origin
CPU: quad core 2.0 GHz or faster
RAM: 4 GB or more
Hard Drive: 7.25 GB free disk space
Video RAM: 512 MB or greater
DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card with latest drivers (AMD 11.5 or later, nVidia 275.33 or later)
Sound: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible card
Internet: broadband connection

Now these are the recommended system specs. So build something like this. (But DONT buy a computer BUILD one you will save hundreds of dollars)

Fiery Grave
08-13-2011, 10:51 PM
To play Battlefield 3 to a point where it looks good, requires an extreme graphics card here are the minimum stats for Battlefield 3s Alpha Trial (I was in)

Windows 7 or Vista (SP1)
EA Origin
CPU: quad core 2.0 GHz or faster
RAM: 4 GB or more
Hard Drive: 7.25 GB free disk space
Video RAM: 512 MB or greater
DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card with latest drivers (AMD 11.5 or later, nVidia 275.33 or later)
Sound: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible card
Internet: broadband connection

Now these are the recommended system specs. So build something like this. (But DONT buy a computer BUILD one you will save hundreds of dollars)

except buy laptops as they are a bitch to build and one small thing wrong you can fry all your parts.

building is generally better but lately the price to build and buy are about the same

Acid
08-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Well posting here was almost completely useless. And Metkill, I never said anything about minimum requirements. I was look at the recommended settings.

It was almost useless posting here...

Synaster Wolf
08-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Well posting here was almost completely useless. And Metkill, I never said anything about minimum requirements. I was look at the recommended settings.

Those are in fact the recommended settings and you said almost completely useless twice.

Metkil5685
08-14-2011, 12:00 AM

I never said anything about requirements, check your facts and names before you post something directed at someone.

Also, these folks are right. You wanted our input and we gave it you. You can't even be appreciative of it? Yes, I am quite upset.

I'll boil it down. With the current price given, you are going to get minimal performance on a laptop. This is why I am suggesting looking at desktops as well because it might be a better investment.

DarkS1de Reborn
08-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Uh ASUS does make radeon as well.. They make just about everything... And yes it normally does void the warranty but that's covered under other warranties depending on where you buy it from. And changing a graphic card is quite simple for me. Takes about 15 minutes...

My campaq sucks ass, my MSI sucks ass, and my acer sucks ass... My asus however... RAPES. Got this little bitch for $350 and it was retailed at $750+ and I use it for computer software programming.

Acid
08-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Sorry I meant to say fiery. Calm the fuck down Metkil. I just put the wrong name down.

Fiery Grave
08-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Uh ASUS does make radeon as well.. They make just about everything... And yes it normally does void the warranty but that's covered under other warranties depending on where you buy it from. And changing a graphic card is quite simple for me. Takes about 15 minutes...

My campaq sucks ass, my MSI sucks ass, and my acer sucks ass... My asus however... RAPES. Got this little bitch for $350 and it was retailed at $750+ and I use it for computer software programming.

AMD makes radeon... i think i said ATI first.... its AMD ATI radeon.... asus is a brand name they don't make many parts, if any themselves its just pre built computers... and your laptop may be designed to have parts swapped out easily... desktops are no problem but a lot of laptops have a hard time cause they don't have the space for the stuff and a lot is just integrated all together... if i were to open my laptop the only thing i would be able to change is the RAM, everything else is all integrated to save space

Sorry I meant to say fiery. Calm the fuck down Metkil. I just put the wrong name down.

i was just saying don't trust what they say all the time... its not always 100% accurate... a game like syrim will be pretty intensive on a computer especially when in the outside areas even on low settings. it may not be optimal or fun to play with this set up.

like i said i sugest trying to find a used set up to save some money you can get some good ones from people who are upgrading pretty cheaply.

DarkS1de Reborn
08-14-2011, 10:54 AM
ASUS isn't just a brand name man I promise you lol. Take you comp apart and run the motherboard up to somewhere I can almost promise you it's made by ASUS.. And correct amd makes radeon cards but so does ASUS as well as Nvidia cards lol. And the only reason I know this is because its something I was taught in my stupid classes when I went to a career center my senior year of high school lol.

Acid
08-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I think he may be right. I looked into my computer and I saw the ASUS logo on my motherboard.

DarkS1de Reborn
08-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Who made your computer??

Acid
08-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Cyberpower. Except for video card, that was on my end.