PDA

View Full Version : Random Events and a possible new Perk?

VerbotenDonkey
08-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Okay, so these War Atrocity and Newsletter updates got me thinking, and although I don't have much time to write my ideas out, bear with me:

Random Events:

Now I don't want to go all DnD here, but hold on. Our War is starting to become real-time now, with a War Map, Newsletter, troop counts. Why not have some more fun brought in? Now this could be a weekly thing, or completely random at the Forerunner's disgresion. But why not make it seem more realistic? Hey, Brotherhood members were supposedly just caught killing civilians! Its plastered on every newsletter on Reach. I think some of the civilians would want to sign up for the Empire in hatred or redemption! For that week, REDD gets a random additional +100 troop count on their Command Center as civilains flock to help out. But maybe some citizens are also outright scared. Publishing that article was a two-way sword. Some citizens decide to go BLUE out of their fears of not helping them, so BLUE gets a small +30ish count on their Command Center for that week.

Get what I'm saying? Now, it doesn't have to be a Newsletter article to spur this on. Get creative. Maybe, a random act of violence occured on a REDD controlled Map between rioters and the garrison. This is completely random and has nothing to do with any events going on that we knew of. Some of the defending garrison were killed in action -10 troopcount on that map. Snowstorm occurs next to the BLUE Command Center, none of the respawning troops were able to leave the Command Center that week so no mobility to and from the Command Center for that week. Maybe dice roll to decide on the severity of these random events?

I think it would make things a bit more interesting and fun to check up on what happens. I really hope this becomes expanded upon; it has some real potential in my opinion. Makes things less rigid and one way. Everything becomes spontaneous, and definately adds a more War-Sim feel. Not to mention, it gives these Newsletters and other events that go on in our community actually meaning and effects the War going on, so everything has a purpose.

On a smaller side, I just brainstormed a possible perk: Supply Train. I don't have anything really thought of about it, besides maybe when in effect, troop movements between two maps become smoother and mobility between the two costs less cR. Like they almost become linked. I'll keep thinking.

But I would like some comments and critique on my Random Events idea mainly.

GhostHammer
08-24-2011, 01:59 AM
DONKEY! I FUCKING LOVE YOU! This is a wicked idea! Here's my thoughts on what to include...

Enviromental Events
Natural Disasters
Pirate Attacks
Civilian Rebellion
Random Enlistment Booms/Lulls
Equipment Malfunction
Wealthy Investors
Acounting Error

Spartanbh
08-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Actually this was a major idea that we wanted to do back in RVBR when we were discussing how we wanted our Halo 3 wars to turn out...Haloplayer and Duckdodger came up with these ideas to kind of make it like a real RTS (cause at that time they were obsessed with those games). I liked it but we never passed it in the WC (or whatever the hell it was called back then). It's a very good idea, and it could give tiny, tiny bits of help to the losing army or a little more momentum for the winning army. I say go for it.

VerbotenDonkey
08-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Actually this was a major idea that we wanted to do back in RVBR when we were discussing how we wanted our Halo 3 wars to turn out...Haloplayer and Duckdodger came up with these ideas to kind of make it like a real RTS (cause at that time they were obsessed with those games). I liked it but we never passed it in the WC (or whatever the hell it was called back then). It's a very good idea, and it could give tiny, tiny bits of help to the losing army or a little more momentum for the winning army. I say go for it.

I also remember them creating an entire catalog page with weapons/vehicles/items and each Army would have a paycheck each week and have to buy weapons, which would be forged into their base. It was an interesting idea. Wouldn't work for games like one-flag though, where you change bases.

And thanks for the positive feedback guys. I like those ideas Ghosthammer. I'm thinking about coming up with a list of actual detailed, which would go under each category. I would want some things to be Map Specific. Like there wouldn't be a Snowstorm on a Spacestation, but maybe an asteroid hits the station, limiting the number of troops on the Map to around 100 until it is fixed. And the Army has to spend some of its cR to fix the damage.

Maxdoggy
08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm not too sure how this could be handled and still ensure fairness and such.

However, for the "Supply Train" perk or whatever, I think it could work. For example:

Supply Train - 2500cR: Links two maps together with a supply road to allow for faster movement of troops and supplies.

Causes a 50% price drop for Mobility used between the maps and a 25% price drop for Reinforcements placed on the linked maps.
Can be destroyed by Bombing Raid(s) and is negated if Entrenchment(s) are placed on the maps.
If one map that is connected by the Supply Train is captured by enemy forces, then the connecting map loses its Supply Train and its perks.
Supply Train may be networked throughout an army's maps as many times as desired but may not be bought on maps that are bordering enemy territory.

Thoughts?

VerbotenDonkey
08-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm not too sure how this could be handled and still ensure fairness and such.

However, for the "Supply Train" perk or whatever, I think it could work. For example:

Supply Train - 2500cR: Links two maps together with a supply road to allow for faster movement of troops and supplies.

Causes a 50% price drop for Mobility used between the maps and a 25% price drop for Reinforcements placed on the linked maps.
Can be destroyed by Bombing Raid(s) and is negated if Entrenchment(s) are placed on the maps.
If one map that is connected by the Supply Train is captured by enemy forces, then the connecting map loses its Supply Train and its perks.
Supply Train may be networked throughout an army's maps as many times as desired but may not be bought on maps that are bordering enemy territory.

Thoughts?

There you go Max, perfect. That was exactly what I was thinking, plus you can link more than two maps together. Thank you.

Also, its fair because it happens to both sides, although its not also positive events. And they aren't groundbreaker, like nothing "Riot breaks out on Anchor 9, enemy team now controls the map." Its just little events to make it feel more like a real war and real life occurence. Plus, it makes strategizing more fun because you never know what might happen!

Vestige
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I was thinking of an ODST perk:

ODST-[Insert ammount of credits here]: Allows to attack any second row map (the row behind the front line).

Add stuff and thoughts. THis would also cost a higer ammount of credits. Just a suggestion ;D

GhostHammer
08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Supply Idea and Random Events being discussed in WC. Both looking good. Nicely done Donkey, a pair of WICKED suggestions.

silversleek
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
glad i stuck through that. i was skeptical, but it's a good idea. although, it's hard to truly randomize events. spin a wheel or something? It also needs to be made even. i was thinking things like seasonal weather that would affect both armies, like in winter IRL there's heavy snow on reach, doubling the price of mobilities. spring and fall are neutral, and summer can perhaps put a restriction on mobilities. (can only use a max of X mobilities) to show how the heat would discourage large troop movements. things like that, they aren't war-changing, but they are an annoyance.

VerbotenDonkey
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Supply Idea and Random Events being discussed in WC. Both looking good. Nicely done Donkey, a pair of WICKED suggestions.
Thank you. I know since I can't see War Council stuff, you're probably the one pushing this considering your enthusiasm so thank you. xP

Silver, some good ideas although I don't believe heat would be a problem. Since we're Spartans, our armor systems have temperature regulating mechanics built in, not to mention troops are probably not going to be marching at that day and age, transport hogs and Pelicans would be the preferable transport for mass movings of troops.

Anyway, I've got some really good ideas that I want to PM to the Forerunners, as if everyone knew it would spoil the surprises of the random events! Field Marshals would know what to look forward to. I'm thinking some Map specific events as well. So I'm going to be stricking up a very long list of items that could happen at any point.

Also Silver, random events would be whenever the Forerunners thought it would be a good time to activate them, whether it really be random or simply once a week at a certain time one of the events happens. Things like the Newsletter or whatever was happening on Reach at that time would affect it as well, so real world things that Jonathan Craig posts would actually affect the War, instead of something just interesting to read. So not always random.

Maxdoggy
08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Thank you. I know since I can't see War Council stuff, you're probably the one pushing this considering your enthusiasm so thank you. xP

There's definitely more than a few pages in the War Council about this and other topics. Lol.

Don't worry, we got it covered. :P

VerbotenDonkey
08-24-2011, 10:08 PM
There's definitely more than a few pages in the War Council about this and other topics. Lol.

Don't worry, we got it covered. :P

Thank god! Soooo happy you guys are considering this!

NOW GIVE ME CREATOR RIBBON! xP

VerbotenDonkey
09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Just wondering if this was ever agreed upon or expanded?

Mythonian
09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Expanded upon? Yes, greatly.

Agreed upon? Not quite. Anyway, it would be used at all until next war anyway. If we decide to use it, it'll be announced once it's finalized.

VerbotenDonkey
09-14-2011, 11:50 PM
TT_TT

Okay I suppose I can live with that xP

SuRroundeD By 1
09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Since were fighting on a planet, would it be that hard to add regions? Like the top of the warmap and the bottom would be the North and South Poles? Those area's would be "covered" in snow and random events would be centered around that. The middle would be the equator and problems could arise because of the heat. All other maps would be considered normal, and very few disasters could affect them.

Maybe we can also give certain maps advantages (just to give it a little more strategy by having certain area's give the army an advantage). Like Lets say we take Tritan, and Anchor 9. Tritan has excess titanium deposits, reinforcements cost less if the map is controlled. Anchor 9 is a space station, army who owns it gets the advantage of orbital strikes if purchased (would act like bombardment except the attack cannot be stopped). Just idea's for what maps could do.

Both these options make you think more about what maps you want to attack: Do I attack this winter region in order to secure their front lines and gain a greater advantage? Or do I attack this map because it gives me this advantage? Its an opporitunity cost, which would be cool in my opinion.

One map grants you control of enemy front lines if you win, which becomes a great advantage, but because it's a winter region it will be hard to control that area effectivly. Or you can attack the other map and get a certain advantage, but leave your other line open. Either way it has its advantages and disadvantages, which makes considering maps to attack more fun and strategic . . . even though I have nothing to do with picking the maps.

VerbotenDonkey
09-15-2011, 03:33 PM
That's what I'm trying to accomplish, Surrounded. I'm trying to make the War less linear and add some actual thought process and make it feel more real. I love your ideas, honestly I wasn't thinking about adding Regions, just listing all the maps and creating custom events that would occur time to time, or adding buffs that would help the Army that owned it. This way, it's not just a certain list of perks that an Army can buy, they also have Army specific additions depending on the maps they have.

I like your brainstorming, Surrounded, keep it up!

SuRroundeD By 1
09-15-2011, 09:29 PM
That's what I'm trying to accomplish, Surrounded. I'm trying to make the War less linear and add some actual thought process and make it feel more real. I love your ideas, honestly I wasn't thinking about adding Regions, just listing all the maps and creating custom events that would occur time to time, or adding buffs that would help the Army that owned it. This way, it's not just a certain list of perks that an Army can buy, they also have Army specific additions depending on the maps they have.

I like your brainstorming, Surrounded, keep it up!

Only two idea's I had haha. You couldn't really go too far with this. While we want a realistic war simulator it still has to be simple. I thought my region idea was pushing the limits (but I desided to go for it anyway).

Any other idea's anyone?