PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Maps

VerbotenDonkey
09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Sorta been talking about this topic in the Invasion topic, but Kuhblam was right, I should have created another topic for it.

Anyway, I'm kinda tired of playing on these 4v4 symmetrical maps created with bland blue blocks to create a map. It just doesn't FEEL like a Warsim. Bungie gifted us Forge, and we outta use it to our advantage. I think we need to start creating more "City" type maps, or Maps that resemble realistic battlefields. City streets, cargo dumps, vehicle depots, the insides of several buildings put together, hell even jungles or villages would be acceptable. If there is ANYONE gifted in Forge, I ask you to please step up and tackle this project of slowly filtering in these types of maps. No, they won't be put into this War, sadface, because it already started, but that gives you more time to create something epic!

Suggestions anyone?

Sangheili Ekim
09-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Go download my map, Lagoonatopia v.2. It's one of my takes on a city. It also gives you a good idea of what I have in store. One of the maps I'm building right now resembles it a bit. I can't get enough of the "city look". Lagoonatopia is definitely something I want to push for in the next war.

Mythonian
09-26-2011, 04:49 PM
I'll see if I can work on a few for next war and maybe find a few outside of the community...

I've already made one a bit reminiscent of boarding action, but with less teleporters and more bridges/man cannons... and I've got a few ideas for some others.

Scarekro
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I agree. Some maps based on urban warfare would be nice. ^__^

VerbotenDonkey
09-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Go download my map, Lagoonatopia v.2. It's one of my takes on a city. It also gives you a good idea of what I have in store. One of the maps I'm building right now resembles it a bit. I can't get enough of the "city look". Lagoonatopia is definitely something I want to push for in the next war.

I have high expectations for your maps! =) Can't wait to check them out, keep up the good work.

I'll see if I can work on a few for next war and maybe find a few outside of the community...

I've already made one a bit reminiscent of boarding action, but with less teleporters and more bridges/man cannons... and I've got a few ideas for some others.

Thanks Myth. The more people we can get to help, the easier it is for those involved. I'd help forge some, but I dont have that great of a niche for balanced maps that are fair for both sides xD I just build creative stuff. I'll see if I can't search for some though.

bazongaman502
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
your looking at a hard project... however it is one worth seeing... i hope you guys do this and do a hell of a job in it

silversleek
09-26-2011, 05:26 PM
i have a feeling i have some maps that you will LOVE. i have quite a few maps of cities both destroyed and alive. check my file share in 10 minutes or so.

Vestige
09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I have a bridge map It's called "Visa Grad Highway 13" It looks like its right out of halo.

Ex Zen Mute
09-26-2011, 07:11 PM
This would be a good idea, but one down side to forge is lag from too many objects used for detail.

Example of this lag would be from Cardinal. There are quite a few overlapping places where your game will jerk a bit trying to figure out what you should see.

That is one reason why some maps look bland.

Also, forge world in itself in bland.

VerbotenDonkey
09-26-2011, 07:30 PM
This would be a good idea, but one down side to forge is lag from too many objects used for detail.

Example of this lag would be from Cardinal. There are quite a few overlapping places where your game will jerk a bit trying to figure out what you should see.

That is one reason why some maps look bland.

Also, forge world in itself in bland.

I guess "Bland" was a bad word. What I meant was, maps that didn't fit a War-Sim. I think Cardinal fits this, it's that Cardinal is just ... I mean, in reality, what are we fighting over? The maps don't make much sense. Maps like Highland, Headlong (when we get it), THOSE Maps at least have a feeling like we're fighting over something. I guess bland wasn't the right word ... and I didn't want to say "MLG" looking maps, but thats kinda it. Don't know what those style maps are called.

Choca Cola
09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I think Arena maps would describe it well, and I would agree on your suggestion.
Sadly I'm not even close to as good of a Forger as most other people.

silversleek
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
once again, donkey, you should check out my file share. i have some really good city maps.
both destroyed and intact cities.

VerbotenDonkey
09-26-2011, 07:54 PM
I will when I get on an xbox silver. You should hit up the Forge Department though, its up to them whether they're good enough for FC.

Deathhawk
09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
These are def. always ideal. For instance, Titan Park. (While I dislike the map anyways) it is a box with stuff in it.
Not a structure of the slightest importance to a military.

Kuhblam
09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Hmm... ideas for you guys to tinker with (I've always wanted to play on these kinds of maps in Halo).

An abandoned overrun bombed out beachhead. Broken down bunkers, torn up vehicles, partially destroyed command buildings, barricades, etc.
A religious temple with multiple rooms and a main area.
AN AIRBASE. That would be awesome, believe me. Parked Falcons (you might have to prevent a few/all of them from being movable for balance's sake), defenses, ammunition depots, fuel tanks, etc.

Those are my top three. I've never seen really good maps with these themes before.

~Kuhblam

Fuzzy
09-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Hmm... ideas for you guys to tinker with (I've always wanted to play on these kinds of maps in Halo).

An abandoned overrun bombed out beachhead. Broken down bunkers, torn up vehicles, partially destroyed command buildings, barricades, etc.
A religious temple with multiple rooms and a main area.
AN AIRBASE. That would be awesome, believe me. Parked Falcons (you might have to prevent a few/all of them from being movable for balance's sake), defenses, ammunition depots, fuel tanks, etc.

Those are my top three. I've never seen really good maps with these themes before.

~Kuhblam

I find it quite funny that you brought up religious temple as I am currently working on exactly that!

Kuhblam
09-27-2011, 07:57 AM
I find it quite funny that you brought up religious temple as I am currently working on exactly that!

Lol, nice.

~Kuhblam

Nocte
09-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I highly support this idea! No more MLG based maps and more maps that fit into our lore!

Ex Zen Mute
09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
So, maps that have a theme that would seem to fit?
Why not Zoid... Err... My map?
Supposed to be a forerunner server room. Though, a few of you might not like the greyness. I tried added some good color.

silversleek
09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
torn up vehicles,
~Kuhblam

that's harder than it looks.

Vestige
09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
its hard to make vehicles blown up already. Once I get back to my xbox I will upload "High way 13" to my file share. And post it in forge deparment, also post a link here.

HeavyArms
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
A port would be nice, if we have a NAVY. Other then spaceships.

Gargoyle
09-27-2011, 02:03 PM
A port would be nice, if we have a NAVY. Other then spaceships.

You never know Heavy ;)

As for the maps, maybe we should think even more into the lore. What type of place would look like an Imperial base or a Rebel outpost?

VerbotenDonkey
09-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't think blown up vehicles would be needed, and it would be hard to introduce unless we made specific gametypes for maps that didn't allow players to get into vehicles. Things like, perhaps a destroyed building laying sideways to provide cover, or even maps that include small bunkers or chunks of material to provide cover themselves. Something besides these symmetrical-type maps we have now.

Personally, I don't think "rebel" bases would look any different than normal Army bases, because it's not like the Rebellion is poor or anything. Imperial bases might be more enhanced with that Roman-like structure of building, like tall spires or pillars. I suppose that would be up to Kuhblam xP

I'm thinking about trying to forge a suburban-like outskirts of New Alexandria, and perhaps some mountain village. I still have to look at some geographical locations on Reach to do some research before I come up with some more ideas for Maps.

Sangheili Ekim
09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
You never know Heavy ;)

As for the maps, maybe we should think even more into the lore. What type of place would look like an Imperial base or a Rebel outpost?
I have a map that might fit this description.

HeavyArms
09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
You never know Heavy ;)

For the Imperials a fully functioning base with lots of shiny weapons. For the rebels, some sticks and rocks :P

GhostHammer
09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
For the Imperials a fully functioning base with lots of shiny weapons. For the rebels, some sticks and rocks :P

LOL oh jeez. Funny enough I've started working on those two for capital maps last night...

HeavyArms
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
My game is telling me I dont have forge world. SO I cant help at the moment otherwise I would.

PhoenixPrime
09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
You know, I'm intrigued by this idea. I shall hit the Forge.

Bodaciousbaconn
09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
?
Why not Zoid... Err... My map?

And there is the meme reference for the win.

Kuhblam
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
You never know Heavy ;)

I'd say Imperial bases would be newer or more advanced; lots of shiny stuff. A rebel outpost? Probably still very high-tech, but more used stuff and worn out; the Brotherhood wouldn't be as picky as to how polished their ammunition crates are because although large they don't have the same resources.

~Kuhblam

HeavyArms
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I'd say Imperial bases would be newer or more advanced; lots of shiny stuff. A rebel outpost? Probably still very high-tech, but more used stuff and worn out; the Brotherhood wouldn't be as picky as to how polished their ammunition crates are because although large they don't have the same resources.

~Kuhblam

Imperials: Shiny stuff
Rebels: Rocks and sticks

Foehammer
09-27-2011, 10:44 PM
More like:
Imperials; Limited visibility helmets and poor 401k but they have a big lazor cannon.

Rebels; Able to exploit anything and everything but must deal with frostbitten conditions and poor life insurance.

VerbotenDonkey
09-27-2011, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqoDL4KlxvY

That is all.

Daaaah Whoosh
09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I think the problem here is that FC is first and foremost about having fun. People seem to forget that a lot, but I for one know that I'd enjoy a map a whole lot more if it played well than if it looked nice.

That said, I do agree that it would be nice if there were people who put time and effort into making high-quality maps for us. I would try, but I have already spent too much time learning that I was no good at Forge.

Carpe Vexillum
09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Hmmm, I think I have an idea!

So:

RED: New
BLUE: Worn

Red Icons & Blue Propaganda.

Battle torn City scape