PDA

View Full Version : iPhone question

Acid
10-07-2011, 11:48 PM
So here's a copy and paste of the thread I posted on reddit.

So here's the backstory. I currently have an LG Ally, and my parents both have BlackBerries. They say are phone bill is to much and want to lower it. They decided that they'l just go with non-smart phones while I stick to my LG Ally. But I've had my LG Ally for a while and it kind of sucks, not that I'm ripping on android, but the phones hardware is horrible. So I have enough money to get an iPhone 4 16GB. If my dad let's me use his early upgrade discount I can get for $100.
My main question is: Are there any certain plans that have to go with the iPhone 4?
also would it raise the cost of our current plan? And what would be the best plan for us?
(Both parents want non-smartphones and I, hopefully, will be getting an iPhone)

Our carrier is Verizon.

Ex Zen Mute
10-07-2011, 11:54 PM
All depends on how much you will use the phone.
What do you think your average texts, data, and minutes used will be?

Maxdoggy
10-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Do you have an unlimited plan already? Or no...?

Acid
10-08-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure because that's usually my parents end until now because they don't seem to know how to figure how they make there damn plan cheaper. But here are our phone usage statistics:

SM=Sent Message, RM=Received Message

Father:
Call-
Text-SM=161 RM=105
Data- .016GB

Mother:
Call-
Text-SM=43 RM=92
Data- .010GB

Me:
Call-
Text-SM=275 RM RM-298
Data- .110GB (This may increase once/if I get an iPhone)

The reason I didn't pull call down is because I don't know how to read Verizon's stuff, like Peak, Off Peak, M2M Peak, M2M Off Peak, etc.
But more or less we don't call people that much and usually the conversations, at least for me, are about 1-5 minutes long,

As for our plans. They are: "FRIENDS & FAMILY10 S/P 1200" & "UNLIM 1X SMARTPACK"

MedeDust
10-08-2011, 01:01 AM
First of all your greatest mistake is expecting a low bill from verizon. Second, Verizon is Definately charging extra for anything over 2G. You get charged for Text, media, data, and minutes. Obviously if you have a plan for unlimited on something its still going to cost but you save yourself money by using it as much as you want. Now for the iPhone I'm more than certain that you must have a data plan. Now I'm promoting. Hehe. I have the HTC EVO Shift 4G. So far the best I've ever had. I myself pay an average of 50$ a month for unlimited everything and data plan and on top that my 4G data. A great price and great connectivity and speed. All together we have 4 lines and we pay an average of 200$.

Acid
10-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Well we have 3 lines and we pay and average of $230, But I think I found a way to reduce. Because if my parents both take non-smartphones(they hardly using any of the smartphone features anyways) like they said. Then I'll only have to pay for data on just the iPhone. So here's the math.

Talk & Text plan.
700 Minutes(Unlimited texting included) = 99.99
3 lines = 9.99(2 lines are included, so it's the 9.99 for the extra)
1 data plan of $30.

=139.98

$90-$100 cheaper than our current one.

:D

Nocte
10-08-2011, 01:42 AM
I do believe Version sucks to have the iPhone haha I could get into why phone companies rip you off like no other, but it wouldn't help you decide.

However if you use your phone mainly at home with a wi-fi network and only use it for calling it and texting when your not near a wi-fi network then don't get an unlimited date plan.

At least for AT&T if you tap into wi-fi you don't use your data plan to surf the web and download apps and what not. Just make sure if you get a music app like Rhapsody you download all of your music from your wi-fi network and then listen to it.

I don't have an unlimited data plan and I would stream music all the time not realizing that it effected my data plan so much. My bill was high as fuck....

Static
10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, since the iphone requires a "data plan", and since you have verizon, for my "Droid X" my data plan is unlimited data for $30, and then if you want a 250mb plan it will cost you $15, eagle said, if your only going to use your phone for web surfing or apps at your house then get the 250mb plan. If not up it.

VerbotenDonkey
10-08-2011, 11:08 AM
You're poor and Irish Acid. You don't have enough hats.