PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Squad Tournaments.

Sangheili Ekim
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
For the past two days an idea for a tournament has been building in my head. And now that the war is over, now seems like a good time to present it. I think it would be great if we could hold a tournament for all squads to enter in and compete with eachother. No Redd vs Blue. Just every squad for itself. I also think it would be great if the winning squad could receive a ribbon for the season it won the tournament in. So for instance, we are currently in the middle of Fall (Autumn) and a squad has just one the Tourny. A "Fall Glory" ribbon has been given to each of the member of the squad. As far as maps and gametypes go, we can simply just use what's already within the community. Any suggestions to this idea are welcome.

Blackhawk570
10-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Sounds awesome

VerbotenDonkey
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Does REDD have refined Squads? I mean we'd need to get all the members situated. And then I'd say lets do it!

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I think its a great idea. Plus itd be a good way to keep the squads warm during peace time. Also it would let everyone know what squads to look out for in the next war.

Sangheili Ekim
10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Does REDD have refined Squads? I mean we'd need to get all the members situated. And then I'd say lets do it!

I think so. We could definitely make a squad out of all the recruits I've brought in too.

Sangheili Ekim
10-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Plus itd be a good way to keep the squads warm during peace time.

That's another reason I'd like this to happen.

Blackhawk570
10-17-2011, 08:25 PM
How many people do we need?

Sangheili Ekim
10-17-2011, 08:31 PM
That's up to everyone. It would probably be a 4v4 tournament, but I'd like it if it was a 5v5 or 6v6. 4v4 matches are so boring if you ask me. 1 or 2 more players make all the difference when it comes to fun.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-17-2011, 08:34 PM
I like 5v5 personally

Fuzzy
10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
This would be a good idea, but it is obvious that there is dominant squads that would most likely come out victors. You can basically tell who is going to win depending on who signs up.

VerbotenDonkey
10-18-2011, 12:18 AM
This would be a good idea, but it is obvious that there is dominant squads that would most likely come out victors. You can basically tell who is going to win depending on who signs up.

Obviously, you can also tell who is going to win High School Sports depending on who is better. I would have to say, I wouldn't go into this looking for a win, I would go into it looking for fun, and hoping to do the best you can. At least come out of it with some experience, and a memory with friends.

And we can probably run this multiple times before the next War, so I say go for it. It will help everyone and bring the community together =) I'll definately be informing all the Squads in BLUE of it.

Sangheili Ekim
10-18-2011, 02:26 AM
I agree with you Donkey. I'm not looking for a win in this tourney. I just think it would be nice to have during the peace, plus something else to look forward to besides the Wars. And like I said before, it would only come around once every season.

silversleek
10-18-2011, 06:46 AM

yup, we could cut everything now and just put in vbd vs zulu.. although i'll definately play for third.

Blackhawk570
10-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Or we could mix it up even more and just have 4-6 players from either army sign up together to play as a squad

Fuzzy
10-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Or we could mix it up even more and just have 4-6 players from either army sign up together to play as a squad

We got a winner!

Blackhawk570
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
This won't stray away from your original idea either Sang, because you can still sign up with your squad if you like, so if VbD still wants to roll together they can.

Andimion
10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
It actually will stray away. What if I inquired to join Zulu or VbD as a squad member for jut this tournament. Problem? Or all the best from 3 ends of the world squadin up. Its best if all the top both players were kept apart. Or SOMEONE will call stacking. ;D

VerbotenDonkey
10-18-2011, 02:16 PM
We're revamping anyway. Might as well let people mix it up and play with others if they wish, or they can stick with their original squads, and see what works best.

Or better yet, have it Squad only, like take the Rosters from the War and then you know who's eligible. Then have a second tournament afterwards where you sign up with a team.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Lets keep it simple, just squads. It would help if you released what maps & gametypes we would be playing on so tgat squads could practice beforhand.

Fuzzy
10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Which brings back the original issue, do you guys have set squads at the moment. We ended the war because of that exact issue...

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I have recently been getting stronger numbers for my squad, & im sure sangheili has been for his. Altho i cant speak for all of the other squads in REDD. If we keep it small like 4v4 or 5v5 im sure it wouldnt be too big an issue.

Blackhawk570
10-18-2011, 04:07 PM
What if someone wants to do this tournament but they don't have enough volunteers from their squad.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-18-2011, 04:35 PM
I think it would be alright some players "subbed" for squads. For instance lets say one guy cant get his whole squad to join him, or one squad already has a full team for a match. This player could sub and fill in for another squad that may be a man short. The 2nd squad could keep their squad name because most(at least 50%) is of the original squad.

Sangheili Ekim
10-18-2011, 04:35 PM
We have three or four? But we could definitely pull more men together to make another one. I'm going to check the roster and talk to a couple people about it.

silversleek
10-18-2011, 04:40 PM
while i'd definately love to play with zulu or VBD, i think it would indeed be better for all to keep squads the way they are.

Fuzzy
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I definitely would prefer if it was squads, but at the current moment I am worried at what the turnout would be and I think making it more open and community building would bring a greater show-up. The fact that we just went into peacetime and squads are far from set may cause it to be difficult to do this properly at the moment.

Its not as if you can just place yourself into your own teams without the players consent, for example VbD and 21st are very selective teams and they are groups of friends that only play with each other, they are not going to let others play with them and would most likely stick with each other for these Tourneys but for other people it would be a nice chance for them to play with their friends in another army or other squad, since it is peacetime and they would never get a similar opportunity during the war.

VerbotenDonkey
10-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I say wait awhile so Squads can continue becoming more firm with members and then do a Squad tourny.

Small vCash prize for all who participate and then a larger vCash prize for the victor?

Sangheili Ekim
10-18-2011, 05:18 PM
I think it's going to simply go either way with the decision of High com. They're either gonna prohibit mixing or come up with something that will solve this problem. I don't know. If you ask me, I think it should be current squads only. And if you have enough guys in your squad, you can split them into two separate squads just for the occasion. There's 8-12 people per squad so it's possible. As far as randoms from others squads go, if they want to join someone else's squad, it should only be for sub purposes only and it must be established at the very beginning of the tournament that the person subbing is on standby specifically for that squad.

Sangheili Ekim
10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I say wait awhile so Squads can continue becoming more firm with members and then do a Squad tourny.

Small vCash prize for all who participate and then a larger vCash prize for the victor?

I like the vcash idea. I still want to push for the ribbons too. Maybe get both if you win? That would get me super pumped for a Tourny.

Mr Funktastiiic
10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
If we let people pick who they want it will properly just flop like a lot of other tournaments we try and have, if its done with squads it can be enforced by officers and what not plus i think this should be a thing to keep FC squads playing with each other during peace time. The way i see it is i think it should be every sunday instead of battle nights during peace time so the squads can keep playing together but instead of fighting for armys its for vcash and ribbons plus it would give every one a chance to play against people they have never played against i for one dont know or play with/against most of the people in BLUE and REDD so i hope this happens but the original idea with my contributions :P

Sangheili Ekim
10-19-2011, 01:51 AM
What I suggested about sub's was only an idea, I think its probably for the best if squads just stick with origanal memebers all together.

VerbotenDonkey
10-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Why don't you create a sign up thread for Squads to get this started.

Sangheili Ekim
10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
It's something that I'd like to be official and almost just as important as the battles. Someone like me putting a tournament together wouldn't matter or wouldn't get much attention. I set up a BYOGN and no one showed up. I don't want that to happen again. I'm waiting for a forerunner or field Marshal to finally jump in here and give us they're opinion. And then I'll go from there.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Sangheili, if you haven't done so already I would recommend that you go to one of them directly and ask for them to start it, waiting for one to show up around here is too hopeful. Also if you get a green light to start this, i would be glad to help set it up.

VerbotenDonkey
10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
It's something that I'd like to be official and almost just as important as the battles. Someone like me putting a tournament together wouldn't matter or wouldn't get much attention. I set up a BYOGN and no one showed up. I don't want that to happen again. I'm waiting for a forerunner or field Marshal to finally jump in here and give us they're opinion. And then I'll go from there.

I warned you about putting it up on a weekday Haha. Either way, as long as a Forerunner allows you to have that vCash prize for everyone, Im sure people will join up. Heck you have both COs of REDD here minus Guzzie, whom Im sure will join. It won't matter too much who posts it.

Blackhawk570
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I set up a BYOGN and no one showed up. I don't want that to happen again. I'm waiting for a forerunner or field Marshal to finally jump in here and give us they're opinion. And then I'll go from there.

OHHHH So that is why you wanted to play that day lol

Mythonian
10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Since you guys were waiting... >.<

If you want to set this up, go ahead. You can have up to a 5000 vCash prize pool; if you want more, you can contribute your own vCash or get players to pay some in order to participate.

However, we probably won't make it an official thing.

Already, many people are bored with Reach and are playing other games, such as Gears, and other games are just about to come out, B3, Skyrim, etc., etc. Because of that, we won't force people to attend something during peacetime if they don't want to.

If people want to participate, they can sign up and attend. If they don't want to participate, we won't be making them.

If you want help working out a system, I'd be willing to help out, but it still won't be as serious as the battle nights.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Mythonian, i stand corrected.

Sangheili Ekim
10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I shall set it up. Any chance of ribbons?

Mythonian
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
If you get someone to make them, they can be given to winners and placed in their sig.

Otherwise, it isn't likely to be similar to the FC ribbons.

Kuhblam
10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
If you get someone to make them, they can be given to winners and placed in their sig.

Otherwise, it isn't likely to be similar to the FC ribbons.

Agreed.

As he said, this will be unofficial as the administration isn't organizing it. Don't let us stop you; we like this kind of stuff.

~Kuhblam

Sangheili Ekim
10-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try my best to make this work.