PDA

View Full Version : FC Mercenaries

Daaaah Whoosh
10-27-2011, 08:13 PM
So, a problem that we often see during battle nights is the inability to set up squads. Sometimes it's just a matter of who has the maps, or who's online, but sometimes you'll have everyone ready to go and then someone leaves unexpectedly.
Therefore, a solution I've thought of is having a group of people in FC who could fight on both sides. Let's say they're Green Army. Like a privatized military, they could have leadership and a rank structure, just like REDD or BLUE, the only difference being that they wouldn't go into battle with squads or anything. They'd just send soldiers to the armies that needed them, and hopefully be able to cycle through everyone one or two times a night.
There are two problems I can see thus far:
1- Possibility of double agents, who don't do their best for one army, but try really hard for the other army.
2- Imbalanced player skill would lead to preferences, so that armies only take the best players, and the worse ones wouldn't get to play as often.
Of course, these problems can be solved with the simple solution that we're not going to take it that seriously, but also with the use of army credits. Perhaps if it costs more credits to hire the better players (based on stats, or the Green Army HC's judgement), but you only have to pay if you win, then it would make more sense to hire players of varying skill level.
So, then, the question must be asked: who would make up this army? Well, I, for one, would be glad to lead it if neccessary, since I've had some experience playing with random squads in lieu of my own, but other than me, I don't think players from the different armies should be allowed to transfer without a good reason, to prevent problem #1, and also the problem of Green Army getting too big. So I thought that maybe it'd be a good place for members of FC who no longer fight in the wars. Like respected members, moderators, Forerunners, and the like. It would be a great way for neutral members to get a taste of both sides of the war, and participate more. And it might also solve the problem of the long wait times between games, which would lead to funner battle nights, and better recruit retention.
Of course, there will probably be more problems with this idea, but that's why I've posted it. What do you guys think?

Puba
10-27-2011, 08:46 PM
love it you have my vote on it

Raider0614
10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
You have my political support my brother

GhostHammer
10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Been discussed numerous times before, it's not going to be happening anytime soon. Too much compication, too much extra work, and a short term fix to a long term problem. Activity needs to increase, people need to recruit, when people do that, everything will be fine.

Carpe Vexillum
10-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Still a great idea, I will see if I can type up laid out plans a specifics for every aspect Woosh. If you want get on XBL or skype sometime and we can work together.

Daaaah Whoosh
10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Been discussed numerous times before, it's not going to be happening anytime soon. Too much compication, too much extra work, and a short term fix to a long term problem. Activity needs to increase, people need to recruit, when people do that, everything will be fine.
I know it's going to be more work, but as far as I can tell, there's not much that needs to be done by anyone except the soldiers themselves. They could keep track of everything that goes on during the battles so that Mythonian doesn't have to, so all that'd be left for anyone else to do would be to deal with the final transactions.
And the point wouldn't be just to help with getting squads together. As I said, it would be a great way to allow neutral members to enjoy the battle nights.

Also, Carp, I'd like to hear what you have to say. I don't think I have much else to do this weekend.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-27-2011, 09:18 PM
I like this idea, but we'll see what the WC has to say.

Spartanbh
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
The reason we're in Green Army is because we don't care to play in battles lol

Nocte
10-27-2011, 09:23 PM

I was still in the WC loop when Ghost actually thought of this idea. I don't think we ever went public with it, because a long discussion with the Forerunners and RaZ at the time deemed it almost stupid to do it. Not saying your stupid Whoosh nor is anyone who agrees with it, because I sided with Ghost on the matter. After discussion though we realized that it would really break a key aspect of this community. Choosing an Army and sticking with it. In the past this community has tired to have a third faction and from what I am told it always failed. Things got way to complicated and honestly if we have a merc "army" it shows how disorganized we are getting as a community.

If I may make a suggestion, have an Army Merc group. Just free floating soldiers that aren't designated to a specific squad. Have these players integrate fully with the rest of the army so they are comfortable with whom ever they play with.

GhostHammer
10-27-2011, 09:27 PM
I was still in the WC loop when Ghost actually thought of this idea. I don't think we ever went public with it, because a long discussion with the Forerunners and RaZ at the time deemed it almost stupid to do it. Not saying your stupid Whoosh nor is anyone who agrees with it, because I sided with Ghost on the matter. After discussion though we realized that it would really break a key aspect of this community. Choosing an Army and sticking with it. In the past this community has tired to have a third faction and from what I am told it always failed. Things got way to complicated and honestly if we have a merc "army" it shows how disorganized we are getting as a community.

If I may make a suggestion, have an Army Merc group. Just free floating soldiers that aren't designated to a specific squad. Have these players integrate fully with the rest of the army so they are comfortable with whom ever they play with.

Took the words ouyt my mouth. Well done.

Puba
10-27-2011, 09:28 PM

If I may make a suggestion, have an Army Merc group. Just free floating soldiers that aren't designated to a specific squad. Have these players integrate fully with the rest of the army so they are comfortable with whom ever they play with.i agree with this too :P

Raider0614
10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I like the army merc idea better but there must be a balance or regulations on which mercs join the match.

Gargoyle
10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Yep that's the only problem. 3 different armies creates way too much balancing issues. Been tried, failed badly.

Daaaah Whoosh
10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Well, damn. Any chance I could be a special exception?

GhostHammer
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Well, damn. Any chance I could be a special exception?
Nope.

EriRi 1138
10-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I love how every year the same suggestions get brought up by different people.

Gargoyle
10-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Well to them, this stuff is knew. Plus to be honest, to them this does sound like it would solve some issues.

Nocte
10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I love how every year the same suggestions get brought up by different people.

Universal thoughts that everyone has, this is also because we don't include failed parts of our community in our history. Maybe we should create a log on those things, so that people don't have to waste their creative minds on suggestions that became issues in the past.

VerbotenDonkey
10-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Why not just take extras from some squads to plug others? Thats what I do. Problem solved.

Blackhawk570
10-28-2011, 12:16 AM
I remember at one point we had Reserves for both REDD and BLUE army. If anything that could be brought up once again.

HeavyArms
10-28-2011, 01:14 AM
The wars are to complecated as it is.

GhostHammer
10-28-2011, 01:54 AM
I remember at one point we had Reserves for both REDD and BLUE army. If anything that could be brought up once again.
We still use ours.

Carpe Vexillum
10-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Man that plan went up in flames like a Christmas tree at the Griswold's.

bazongaman502
10-28-2011, 05:28 AM
i tried to get a merciniery idea going before (like 2-3 months ago), but it was shot down by HC really quick

Nocte
10-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Man that plan went up in flames like a Christmas tree at the Griswold's.

^_^

Didn't really go up in flames, it was just destined to die.

Gargoyle
10-28-2011, 08:20 AM
For fire to catch there must first be something to lite on fire.

Courtesy of Gargoyle Fortune Cookies tm

silversleek
10-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Well to them, this stuff is knew. Plus to be honest, to them this does sound like it would solve some issues.

because some of those ideas would solve alot of problems. they would just bring up some more different problems.

Kuhblam
10-28-2011, 03:34 PM
There will be NO mercenaries or anything of the sort. Ever. I wrote a blog about why I refuse to endorse something like this no matter how adjusted it is; feel free to look for it, gentlemen.

~Kuhblam

----

http://i40.tinypic.com/2150ubd.jpg