PDA

View Full Version : Posting Informtion Revisement

Salvanous
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey everyone, I thought I would throw out another potential suggestion that may not improve the efficiency of the site but maybe it's aesthetic appeal. I don't know how to really explain it well so I did a rough rearrangement of what I was thinking (I hope I attach it right)

Basically what this does is it rearranges the avatar picture, the rank and the ribbons of the members to something that may be a bit more... clear. I know in the past week I have run my eye over the first picture which is the rank of someone multiple times and had to catch myself from thinking that a different person was talking. Basically the rearrangement implies that the person's avatar provides the most about them, followed by their rank and then people can look to the person's achievements after all of that.

It seems a bit strange to me that you look to a person's achievements first, followed by their rank and THEN you see the person's personalized avatar. If nothing else I would like to kindly ask that one of the staff consider centering the avatar picture so that everything appears in a straight fashion.

EDIT: For more clarification as to why this may be a good idea please look to my next post or post #4 as it gives a some more in depth reasoning.

Nocte
01-01-2012, 11:41 PM
The reason why we have the rank first is simply because we are a war-sim based community. Although I do agree with the centering of the avatar image.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
01-01-2012, 11:42 PM
God I wish I had thought of this idea, I support this idea.

Salvanous
01-01-2012, 11:46 PM
And I can understand that, I simply thought I would suggest it as the system is now you have basically a "upside down pyramid scheme" going on here and if you were to reverse it may look a bit more...stable for lack of a better word. You may need to pardon me but I tend to think that people coming in to the community may like to see that they are seen as a person first, then as a member of either the R.E.D.D. or the B.L.U.E. Really I am just looking at the matter from different perspectives and trying to think of what may make the member's of the community feel like they have control over what is shown first on their information, if that makes any sense.

I personally think that if you have the avatar picture first, followed by the rank and ribbons then each member seems to have a bit more personality and seen less as a drone. I don't think that if you were to change the order in the fashion I have you would be removing any sense of this being a military simulator community, as it doesn't have any effect in how the community functions. I think it simply shows that the community provides you with the ability to express yourself above simply what your rank is.

Returning to the concept of stability, you see that in designing the content on the bottom tends to be generally wider than the content on top, or the pyramid concept. You look at most advertisement or text and people try to follow that as it is what applies to real life in the situation that you can see items stacked up in a pyramid fashion, but it is highly irregular to see it in reverse. When you go by that concept you are going coming into the area of the "Uncanny" which can sometimes make people feel uneasy on varying levels, to a point where the person may only feel uneasy on a subconscious level.

If you want to really talk about it I would probably advise over XBL as I don't know know how to clearly convey what I am trying to say in text.

Blackhawk570
01-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Yay! Thumbs up

Vestige
01-02-2012, 01:19 AM
I support, but only the avatar centering. Everything should stay the same, just center the avatar.

Metkil5685
01-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Myth and I can discuss this.

Mythonian
01-02-2012, 01:56 AM
For the moment, we've decided to go with the avatar centering.

The other stuff we will consider more tomorrow. It's a lot of work (like somewhere between 3 and 5 hours) just to move the ranks above the ribbons... >.>

Salvanous
01-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Sorry Myth, seems like I keep on giving you guys more work.

I still stand by my idea but I wish I could help you with it.

MedeDust
01-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Its fine they need work Salv ;)

Salvanous
01-02-2012, 02:59 AM
I know but I also like doing work myself so it feels strange making work and not doing it. lol!

silversleek
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
well, ai's can perform like, a trillion calculations a second. gotta give skynet something to do, or he might accidentally see terminator while browsing online.

Nocte
01-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I personally think that having your ribbons and rank once again make more sense as we are a war-sim community and are solely based around that. Sure we have other things to do, but generally people come here to fight in the war for that.

Putting the avatar first, looks very unprofessional, and kind of strays from the war-sim ideal that we have in this community.

This is one thing I'll be very conservative about, because it doesn't make anyone look or feel like a drone. You will find that many people in this community represent their army with pride. They will stand by and defend it until they get banned or are told by a superior to knock it off.

Salvanous
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Now I don't mean to say that this configuration makes people feel like drones, I simply mean to say that the configuration may show a sense of priority that can potentially be seen as rank over personality. You also say that people here are very proud of their group, but isn't this community provide the option to alternate between the two sides in a rather fluid fashion? I think it is important that we take pride in that we are R.E.D.D. or B.L.U.E. but I think it may be more important to be proud that we are Forerunner Conflict. If we bind ourselves too close to being a war simulator then we may end up damaging the appeal of being part of the community, in example that I am simply a recruit that is debating with a field marshal right now, something that simply isn't possible within the army today. I hope you understand that I feel this should be a community that has war simulations, and not a war simulator that has a community.

I do hope that you do not think unkindly of my intentions or that I don't listen to your opinion in this Eagle, as that isn't my intent. I am simply trying to find ways that I may try to help.

VerbotenDonkey
01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Now I don't mean to say that this configuration makes people feel like drones, I simply mean to say that the configuration may show a sense of priority that can potentially be seen as rank over personality. You also say that people here are very proud of their group, but isn't this community provide the option to alternate between the two sides in a rather fluid fashion? I think it is important that we take pride in that we are R.E.D.D. or B.L.U.E. but I think it may be more important to be proud that we are Forerunner Conflict. If we bind ourselves too close to being a war simulator then we may end up damaging the appeal of being part of the community, in example that I am simply a recruit that is debating with a field marshal right now, something that simply isn't possible within the army today. I hope you understand that I feel this should be a community that has war simulations, and not a war simulator that has a community.

I do hope that you do not think unkindly of my intentions or that I don't listen to your opinion in this Eagle, as that isn't my intent. I am simply trying to find ways that I may try to help.

This guy, in the community not even a month, not even through bootcamp yet, and knows more about the fabrics of Forerunner Conflict than most it's members.

Iiiironnyyyyy.

=P

silversleek
01-02-2012, 01:08 PM
This guy, in the community not even a month, not even through bootcamp yet, and knows more about the fabrics of Forerunner Conflict than most it's members.

Iiiironnyyyyy.

=P

ikr.

VerbotenDonkey
01-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Alright well personally I agree with the avatar being above the Ranks, not because of any Community vs War-Sim arguement, but simply because avatars are usually larger or more extended vertically than the Rank is, and it just looks neater. I don't know, that's my personal view anyway.

Nocte
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Salvanous I understand your position, but your reasoning sounds kind of redundant. Your point makes complete sense to me, but the people who we recruit are generally told about this community before joining. Sure we have people who might just stumble across the site, but we really don't want members like that. We ask of members who recruit to get to know the person they are recruiting, because just like any other job in the world. We want to make sure the members of our community are respectful and mature. Members who stumble across the site might not be that, so why would we want or need them to join.

Salvanous
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
lol, I stumbled across this site so this is rather humorous to me.

I do understand that the chances of success for members who stumble across the site tend to be very low in finding quality members and that to recruit only the best of the crop is generally what is practiced. What is puzzling to me is that you seem to be referencing that the members you have join the site are applying for a job as really we are here to all have a fun time because at the end of the day this is a place for people to come and have fun.

You can look at the subject in many different ways and I feel like this suggestion may hold more reasons for it than against it. I do feel as though you may be wanted to argue over this and if you want to discuss it further I am more than happy to discuss it over PM's or over XBL but I think we both have said all we need to and at the end of the day it falls to the War Council to answer the question, so to avoid any hurt feelings or unneeded argument best we simply drop the argument agreeing to disagree. :)

If absolutely nothing else I am happy to be able to voice my opinions and that the avatars are centered (Thank you again Myth and Met) even if only on a temporary basis while they discuss the issue.

silversleek
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM

it's always going to be a 'discussion' about weather to make the warsim or community aspect more apparent. It's harder than it seems to do both.

Salvanous
01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah and there sadly is no one universal agreement with what is a good idea. Some people will want more community, others will want more war simulation. I would like to think for the most part I want to see what I can do to improve both aspects as I like this community and it's concept, but as a new member I thought it would be good to throw out a few ideas that may have been overlooked by more veteran members.

MedeDust
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Ideas are always welcome.

Salvanous
01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
You don't need to worry about me not throwing ideas out there, I just know that new members or people just coming into a project may have fresh perspectives that may have been overlooked or forgotten by members who have been working on things for much longer.

I would say you are better off worrying that I go to the staff with too many insane ideas and that you become insane down the road; well, more insane. ^_^