PDA

View Full Version : New Way Of Running Things

VerbotenDonkey
01-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Obvious this is NOT going to happen this War. I was thinking it would be nice for next War. But since people are nostalgiating and such, just would like community opinion on a few things. Granted, I'm typing this up rather quickly before class when in reality I should draw my ideas more thoroughly.

First off, everyone needs to decide whether they want a Community or a War-Simulation. Personally, I was thinking about mixing the two together. In the past, it was all War Sim, and now it seems to be mostly Community. Why not both? Inside each Army, War-Simulation. This has been talked SOOOO many times, and everyones like "Yay, let's do it!" But as John Wayne used to say "Talkin' don't get it done, dude." Revamp everything about the Armys and reset. Make a few CORE Squads, I'm sick of this "Mixed" crap. If we have an overabundance, I understand throwing the extra players into a "Mixed" Squad to play together. But that's what Platoons are for, are they not? Then, extras from two Squads within a Platoon get together and form a "22nd Infantry Platoon," etc. These Squads, if we choose the War-Sim path, are INTEGRATED. Yes, we have to let a few people go. But it would be time to stricken up. Squad Uniforms, Weekly practices, YES SIRS, NO SIRS, actually calling your Fire Team Leader SERGEANT instead of his gamertag, having Squad Pride. This is what needs to happen in my opinion. We slacked off from this original plan, and now it just seems like a Custom Game Night every Sunday instead of a WAR SIMULATION. Once again, we talk the talk of calling ourselves a War Simulation, yet we lost the core values.

I'm forgetting what else I wanted to say x_x I'll edit the rest in after Lab I guess. Discuss this idea for now.

MedeDust
01-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I think You're right on the money. I remember when you would actually be a squad and you would be known for being from that squad, hell sometimes other squad members wouldnt really know who you were because you were with your squadmates all the time. And no I'm not saying this because I'm trying to say that those times were better but because that's actually how it should be. Be proud of being blue army or red army but also take pride in your squad and take the initiative to bring them all together as one, as a team, almost as a family.

EriRi 1138
01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm going to bring this up in the WC. Thank you, Lieutenant Colonel.

;)

Blackhawk570
01-19-2012, 03:54 PM
I think uniforms should be mandatory, respect during battle nights (that means all lower ranks MUTE your mics unless spoken to), I think calling people by their ranks shouldn't be mandatory but people could do it, and weekly practices of course but like always never mandatory because real life comes first.

silversleek
01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
i'm not so sure on the whole uniform thing. i think that'll turn a lot of people away from fc. also, what would officers wear?

SuRroundeD By 1
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
i'm not so sure on the whole uniform thing. i think that'll turn a lot of people away from fc. also, what would officers wear?

Agreed, at most maybe there should be a universal emblem for each army that one side has to use, but a uniform is a bit crazy.

The problem with the emblem thing is that the BLUE army emblem cannot be made in Reach (I can't at least), but REDD armies logo can be made. If we need to be similar in some sort I suggest emblems and BLUE can switch to a something else (I like mine, a single white star in a blue background).

EriRi 1138
01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
REDD's emblem can't be used in Reach, either. Trust me. The icons are both there but they don't make the same shape anymore.

Again, this is all being discussed in the War Council. Please continue providing feedback.

MedeDust
01-19-2012, 04:45 PM
What happened to Squad meetings? That's what you guys need to discuss uniforms and emblems and practices etc. Come to a compromise and see how easily you become united and even more active.

Blackhawk570
01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Uniforms are only for practices and battle night, other than that you can use your own emblem. If you honestly cant comply with that then you shouldn't even be in FC

VerbotenDonkey
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm going to bring this up in the WC. Thank you, Lieutenant Colonel.

;)

Just doing my job, SIR!

Squads would have their own Emblems to distinguish them, so when everyone is in a party, they all don't look like random people. Then your Squad gets KNOWN, so when you join a party, you're like "Oh DAMN, he's from Wolf Squad," etc. Officers could wear whatever, unless they're fighting in a Squad. Like I'm a Lieutenant Colonel, but unless a Squad needs me, I usually play with Foxtrot now. Or, I help get all Squads together, do my Officer duties etc.

Also, yeah it might turn people away from FC, but so what. It's silly to think we can accommodate to /everyone./ As a War Simulation, its SUPPOSE to be strict. Not everyone can get into the Army, same thing.

d3ad1te
01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I think you can have both a war simulation and a community.

This is how I believe it(should) work.
Forumboards=The Community
Game Nights= Community

Army Subforums=Wars Simulation
Sunday Nights=War Simulation
Training/Practice/Bootcamp=War Simulation

SuRroundeD By 1
01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I think you can have both a war simulation and a community.

This is how I believe it(should) work.
Forumboards=The Community
Game Nights= Community

Army Subforums=Wars Simulation
Sunday Nights=War Simulation
Training/Practice/Bootcamp=War Simulation

Isn't this how it already is?

Salvanous
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I will throw this out there, for the 251st ODST, we are required to wear at least one ODST permutation. I personally think that may be the way to go, provide a loose requirement for a squad, but don't say "You have to wear this helmet, this body piece, these shoulders, ect." So I think you could request something minor there, but don't go too far, because I like my freedom to choose the armor I want, and that I am able to be myself in a war while following the requirements is something I am pleased with. I don't have a problem with a squad emblem, I think it might actually be a good idea as it makes things much easier to organize.

We should have more squad meetings as I know at least for 251st we do get together pretty often, but I think it would be nice to have a designated time when everyone gets together to discuss things. I also think that we should make much more use out of the squad gamertags as I have our squad in my friends list, but I never see anything from it. No announcements, no reminders, nothing, and while that isn't a big issue it would be nice to feel like I have a reminder from that.

The "Yes SIR" "No SIR" content I am.... iffy about. I don't mind it too much as long as it doesn't feel milked. I don't know how to explain it very clearly, but if it gets pushed too fair I know I will lose an interest in it. In total I agree with what d3ad1te is saying, because I want to be part of a war-sim, but I also want to be part of a gaming community.

Anarchy
01-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I can support each squad having their own emblem. As for armor uniforms, I feel like that would scare people away. I never really look at my opponent's armor permutations, so it would seem rather pointless to force people to change their armor. Emblems are right there and in plain sight in lobby, so I could see that being established.

I like the platoon/mixes idea.

Saying "yes sir" and the like may be a bit overboard... This is, after all, just a video game. It would leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth to be in my dark room, with a turtle beach on trying to role play that I'm an army NCO. But respect should be established.

Some squad/army pride needs to be in place. I honestly think that once things get all equal again, it should be more discouraged for squads to switch armies. It could cause major imbalance, like now, and would essentially throw a wrench in all that you're saying.

VerbotenDonkey
01-19-2012, 05:49 PM
As far as communitiy changes go, RESPECT. No more name calling, no more "Lol fuck you"s, JOKING STATEMENTS NEED A SMILEY. Crack down hard on that. After we just got a new affiliate, I doubt the first thing they want to see is a fight breaking out. Moderators, no more shit. Stop being soft on that stuff.

As far as Emblems, I only meant Emblems, not Squad permutations, UNLESS a certain Squad Leader wants it to be that way. Obviously, you cant FORCE a Recruit to join that Squad, however, if the CO wants Armor Perms, it would be a volunteer only Squad.

Another point, what does the Community feel about relatively Skill-even Armies. Obviously, nothing like what we have no would be allowed before a War starts. Just a little rule, I think everyone would have more fun. Either that or, highly skilled Squads play highly skilled Squads. I'd rather the Armies just have an even skill gap though. Nothing as major as now, but if one Army has a little better advanttage, no reason to freak out.

Anarchy
01-19-2012, 05:54 PM
As far as communitiy changes go, RESPECT. No more name calling, no more "Lol fuck you"s, JOKING STATEMENTS NEED A SMILEY. Crack down hard on that. After we just got a new affiliate, I doubt the first thing they want to see is a fight breaking out. Moderators, no more shit. Stop being soft on that stuff.

As far as Emblems, I only meant Emblems, not Squad permutations, UNLESS a certain Squad Leader wants it to be that way. Obviously, you cant FORCE a Recruit to join that Squad, however, if the CO wants Armor Perms, it would be a volunteer only Squad.

Another point, what does the Community feel about relatively Skill-even Armies. Obviously, nothing like what we have no would be allowed before a War starts. Just a little rule, I think everyone would have more fun. Either that or, highly skilled Squads play highly skilled Squads. I'd rather the Armies just have an even skill gap though. Nothing as major as now, but if one Army has a little better advanttage, no reason to freak out.

having "High skill squads" play only against eachother would not only give poor battle results, but it would be quite scary to a lot of us. You'd essentially be listing, in say, this war's situation, red's top two squads as your best, and them having them play VbD over and over and over again because they're listed as your highest skilled squads.

I agree with filling the skill gap, but forcing one squad to take the brunt of the god squad's blows is what almost got the 105th to leave the entire community when I was in it. Sounds great for those in lower squads, but not so great for those who are only a little above average. Obviously the armies and their skill levels need to even out, but forcing one group of squads to play against the same group of squads gets boring and dreadful.

VerbotenDonkey
01-19-2012, 05:57 PM
That's why it was a thought lol honestly, its not one I wanted to choose myself, just throwing suggestions out.

Salvanous
01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I agree partially with you Donkey for the most part. I know that people need to be better at conveying a joke to people, such as when Yehsus had said in a previous thread that "We should make the age limit 21 and up"(not exact words) He seemed as though he was being serious but when I conversed with him later he had said that he had been joking. So there is definitely good justification to be able to say we need to work on how we convey our messages, though I don't think we need to apply a smiley at the end of every message that is joking, I think we just need to think about what we want to say, and really make sure that the context of how something is said is how we really want it to be read.

The balancing is a good idea, but I think what we should do, isn't that because then there applies a pressure to newer members to join a particular army to maintain balance, and when people join a site, I believe they should be able to choose who they want to fight for. I think we should crack down more on applying a proper skill ranking towards each squad(maybe each member of each squad even) and then have a more sophisticated tier system in who fights against whom, like you would indicate if a wrestler was heavy, medium, or light, they get paired against people close to their weight. I also think we should stop having some of the Officers be the immediate backup for a squad, I believe that instead of making new squads, we work on making sure that each squad has at least 120% of the members needed for each war, then when it is confirmed where they stand, if they still don't have the members needed then the officers would be used as substitutes.

I can't do justice to trying to write up how to make things balanced in such a small amount of time, or don't think that we should have it be a segment of this thread but have it be it's own individual thread.

d3ad1te
01-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Isn't this how it already is?

I hope so.

I don't know whats going on, hence why I put (should) in parentheses.

Seven
01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I like the squad emblem idea, I would only use it when participating in FC but I'm pretty sure thats what you meant so I'm okay with it. It would be nice to have some that tells the other people you are with what squad you are from, can't tell how many times I was asked which squad i was in last Sunday.

As for the "Yes Sir", "No Sir" and "Sergeant" stuff I don't really like it. Honestly it would probably stop me from talking at all during battle nights as I wouldn't feel comfortable saying these things over a video game. I could handle a bit of it but if it becomes something completely necessary 100% of the time ehh.

On another note i would be up for getting smacked around by VbD every Sunday. (Notice the lack of a smiley.) Pretty sure I ended up playing Zulu every second game anyway back in H3.

Silko
01-19-2012, 07:02 PM
The whole squad armor and things of that nature, like donkey said, can be discuss by the squad. Squad Emblems I do like. I like looking at the ODSTs for example, all the ODSTs have squad embs and have similar armor. When you play against the ODSTs you know you are playing against them. I Agree with the Platoon idea. I always wanted it to be called a "Platoon" verse a "mix". There are times in blue where the other squad in a platoon would send members over to a sister squad to help fill the ranks for a battle night. To agree with Donkey when it comes to keeping it nice for others. I say fuck them. That is what Bootcamps are for we weed out those who are not willing to make the commitment and follow the rules. As for Officers that can be up to the Army. I for example normally run around with Black and Orange as my colors but then go to Black and Blue for any FC event. To quote Spartan's Chem teacher KISS: Keep it Simple, Stupid.

Kuhblam
01-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Wow. We've become so far off from what we used to be the old way of thinking is considered the new way of thinking.

But good brainstorming, kiddos. Using that noggin of your's will help this place out more than any number of new recruits will.

~Kuhblam

RetRdidMunkie
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Wow. We've become so far off from what we used to be the old way of thinking is considered the new way of thinking.

Truth. This man speaks it

VerbotenDonkey
01-19-2012, 07:52 PM

I didn't say it was a new way of thinking. Sometimes, you revert so far back that you need to reset.

Raider0614
01-19-2012, 09:20 PM
The Legion is behind the idea but squad uniforms seems a little too much. Squad emblems and more respect sounds like the change we need in this war. As for the skill tiers we should wait until to get the battle results of this sunday before we officially take it into consideration

Kuhblam
01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
There should always be a squad uniform, specifically colors and emblem. Now that I think about this, I don't even know why it's being discussed. If you guys want to have a real war-sim aspect and not just be a community with matchmaking (that's what the wars have become), this will be a defining step towards hitting up the old traditions for a permanent relationship and not a date at the movies.

~Kuhblam

Spartanbh
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
There should always be a squad uniform, specifically colors and emblem. Now that I think about this, I don't even know why it's being discussed. If you guys want to have a real war-sim aspect and not just be a community with matchmaking (that's what the wars have become), this will be a defining step towards hitting up the old traditions for a permanent relationship and not a date at the movies.

~Kuhblam

I liked our date at the movies though...babe

Static
01-20-2012, 02:43 AM
When I was in CW, We had symbols for each rank and that make it really cool:)

Relapsive
01-20-2012, 07:55 AM

~Kuhblam

;) Dammit i already bought the tickets.

d3ad1te
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
When I was in CW, We had symbols for each rank and that make it really cool:)

Yes in RED army during RvBR we did the same thing.

Squad emblems replaced ranks... And now i guess anything goes. It's really up to the squad co to decide.

Anarchy
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes in RED army during RvBR we did the same thing.

Squad emblems replaced ranks... And now i guess anything goes. It's really up to the squad co to decide.

My squad has matching emblems and standardized service tags! :D

-Ego boost

silversleek
01-20-2012, 04:06 PM
yeah, but you're a clan too/

Gargoyle
01-20-2012, 05:13 PM
so what? It just means they're close nit, which is a big thing missing. I used to know all redds and all blues. It was fun to face people you know, gave you that taste of friendship but professionalization still being there with the military feel.

Kuhblam
01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
so what? It just means they're close nit, which is a big thing missing. I used to know all redds and all blues. It was fun to face people you know, gave you that taste of friendship but professionalization still being there with the military feel.

Agreed. When I was on XBL during war-time, I basically lived with my battalion. I don't say squad because it really was a battalion. Emblems were a big part of giving the units inside a sense of family.

~Kuhblam

Link2Halo
01-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Just saying here as a suggestion but if were going to talk about making FC more of a war-sim then why don't we add tactics into the the mix. Let me put it this way teach new recruits things such as bounding, flanking, and suppression and make them be able to follow them perfectly also make the squad leaders be able to know when to use which tactic.

Kuhblam
01-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Just saying here as a suggestion but if were going to talk about making FC more of a war-sim then why don't we add tactics into the the mix. Let me put it this way teach new recruits things such as bounding, flanking, and suppression and make them be able to follow them perfectly also make the squad leaders be able to know when to use which tactic.

We used to do tactics in regular and advanced bootcamps way back when.

However, what you're suggesting is very broad and general: it's much easier said than done.

~Kuhblam

Link2Halo
01-22-2012, 12:11 PM
We used to do tactics in regular and advanced bootcamps way back when.

However, what you're suggesting is very broad and general: it's much easier said than done.

~Kuhblam true