PDA

View Full Version : FC in Far Cry 3

Apathy
04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm fairly sure that a good percentage of people know what Far Cry is. For those who don't (and because I was going to say it anyway); Far Cry is a single-player, first-person, survival-type game. That is the campaign portion of it. In terms of multiplayer, it follows a similar format to most FPSs: CTF, Deathmatch (Slayer), Team Deathmatch (Team Slayer; I know you're not stupid I just felt the need to clarify), etc. And it also has a map-editor somewhat like Halo's "Forge." But unlike Forge, players are given the ability to not only manipulate the objects within the playable area, but to edit terrain as well and built some marvelous maps. I'm pretty sure my friends Raider and Puba can attest to that. I feel that with the newest installment of the series (Far Cry 3) coming out this September, it might be a nice idea to maybe try that out. I like Forge just as much as the next gamer, however it does have its limitations, and this could be an opportunity to expand FC's operational area a bit. I'm not saying stray away from FC's roots, just dip our toes into another pool a bit and test the waters. It would also give our Forge artists some more clay to work with. And just incase somebody reads this wrong I am not insulting the skill of our Forge department, or in any way saying that I am tired of seeing their work. I myself have been somewhat of an amateur Forger in some of my free-time, and never could I have imagined coming up with the maps produced by them.

Just an idea to consider.

Spartanbh
04-11-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't want this to sound like I'm shooting the idea down, cause I'm not, but when you look at it realistically, it would be EXTREMELY hard for this to happen. There are several factors as to why we could not fully succeed as FC on Farcry, here are some of the reasons:

-Far Cry isn't that big of a name out there. When you think of shooters and popular games on console, Far Cry may barely just make the top 20 in sales. It's a very narrow and select fan base (I loved Far Cry Instincts-Predator, but I HATED Far Cry 2). Obviously games like Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gears of Wars, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six are going to come ahead of the Far Cry series.

-The Gameplay of Far Cry isn't that attractive anymore...unless FC3 COMPLETELY blows everyone out of the water unlike FC2 did, then I doubt a long-term community will last on there.

-The Map Editing on Far Cry has always been the #1 attraction, however they always seemed to focus a lot more on just being able to make maps than focusing on balanced Gameplay...Far Cry 2 was clunky, granted it came out like 4 years ago.

-We tried having a war-sim on Call of Duty, arguably the most popular franchise on consoles and it just didn't last long because the customization and diversity in Call of Duty matches nothing to HALO. Far Cry will likely have nothing in comparison when it comes to customizing everything we want like HALO. Plus HALO 4 is coming out in December so we as a community will be heavily focused on transferring onto that game.

Like I said, I don't want it sound like we're shooting it down but as all leaders of this community will tell you, it's already a big hassle focusing on just our HALO community. Trying to do 2 games at once would overwhelm everyone.

HOWEVER, if you can find a loyal and active fan-base for FAR CRY then there's no stopping you from creating your own Far Cry war-sim section. You can't really use the "Forerunner Conflict" name since...Forerunners is part of the HALO universe lol. We'd be more than willing to give you advice on what you need to set up a community like ours. But as for all of us taking part in Far Cry, it most likely isn't going to happen. Hell, I don't even see 10% of the people in this community getting Far Cry 3. Far Cry is just not an "OMFG I NEED TO GET THIS GAME" kind of game (at least for most people).

Mythonian
04-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Having a greater capacity to edit maps or such is not a reason to move the community to an entirely separate game. For the most part, we tend to prefer default/DLC maps over custom maps anyway. xD

We play Halo because everyone in the community enjoys playing Halo. If suddenly everyone stopped liking Halo and started liking another series, we would consider switching, but otherwise we'll be sticking with Halo.

If enough people are interested, game nights or other events on Far Cry 3 are a good possibility. You may want to consider setting them up.

EDIT: Looks like Spartan beat me by a few seconds. xD

Spartanbh
04-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Damn right I beat you. But yeah as Myth said, HALO is just that universal game that everyone has and will always enjoy playing (even if they don't admit it). You'd have to get in touch with a large Far Cry fanbase to create wars. But by all means you can have custom game nights on it through our Community!

d3ad1te
04-11-2012, 11:35 AM
This is why we have those gamenights!

That nobody goes to lol...

Carpe Vexillum
04-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Here we go again. =p