PDA

View Full Version : Help The "Newbies" In This Forum

GhostHammer
04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Just an idea, maybe the WC can throw up and pin a "Read This First" thread and list things that have been suggested multiple times and have been declined multiple times? Saves people repeating topics and posting them same thing to get the same answer. Just an idea.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I doubt many would read it, even if it were titled "read this first" but who knows?

Gargoyle
04-21-2012, 03:34 PM
You know, taking it even further, Someone with enough time could make a short youtube clip showing the way around the site, how to get places, what these places are for, etc.

Deathhawk
04-21-2012, 05:21 PM
You know, taking it even further, Someone with enough time could make a short youtube clip showing the way around the site, how to get places, what these places are for, etc.
People would watch this.

I don't think I've ever read a "Read this first" topic.

silversleek
04-21-2012, 05:24 PM

somebody already did... awhile ago, i'm sure it's around somewhere...

Mythonian
04-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Deadite made one last June. xD Unfortunately, the youtube account associated with the video has since closed (it was our old YouTube account I believe).

http://fcwars.net/forums/showthread.php?2410-FC-Intro-to-Forums

Gargoyle
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Alright, then we could make a new one. Have someone make a new account and show the Recruits how to sign up for forum, army sign ups, and other community stuff.

Is there a way to make people watch this vid before signing up?

Mythonian
04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Alright, then we could make a new one. Have someone make a new account and show the Recruits how to sign up for forum, army sign ups, and other community stuff.

Is there a way to make people watch this vid before signing up?

We could do something like they must watch it and at the end is a registration keyword that they are required to input during registration.

Currently, we require them to answer the question, "What does FC stand for?" and they must put "Forerunner Conflict" in order to register. We could add something that would require them to watch the video.

Other than that, there isn't really a way.

Gargoyle
04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Cool, I think that way we don't have to walk every recruit through registration.

Efficiency.

VerbotenDonkey
04-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I think Metkils PM should include the video, they shouldn't be forced to.

Carpe Vexillum
04-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Add the topics to this =D And then actually put it up somewhere! Pooling intelligence!

http://fcwars.net/forums/showthread.php?3871-The-most-Informative-thread-you-will-ever-read

Just saying; Add some of your ideas to it and someone could add; 'hotlinks' that when you click on a topic it takes you to that part of the page, currently normal users such as myself dont have the coding power.

But actually in all honesty; its a good idea to add that because i have seen... many duplicate suggestions.

GhostHammer
04-21-2012, 06:08 PM
If we need a video like that, I can always do one along the "War Sim" style like the FM ones...

Carpe Vexillum
04-21-2012, 06:12 PM
If we need a video like that, I can always do one along the "War Sim" style like the FM ones...

I like this idea!

Gargoyle
04-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Here's the main reason why I think they should be forced to watch the video, the entire video:

How many updates and changes and things like that have we made in both armies and WC and community overall in the past month?

Now, how many people regularly check the website? Officers, fresh new guys, and older members are the majority of people that goes on and looks at stuff here and this website is our main communication area.

I think if we force people to do something web based other then just "sign up so you can play", they can see just how important this place is with whatever we do. Hopefully they'll learn this and check more often. Maybe even seeing events too?

Mythonian
04-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Add the topics to this =D And then actually put it up somewhere! Pooling intelligence!

http://fcwars.net/forums/showthread.php?3871-The-most-Informative-thread-you-will-ever-read

Just saying; Add some of your ideas to it and someone could add; 'hotlinks' that when you click on a topic it takes you to that part of the page, currently normal users such as myself dont have the coding power.

But actually in all honesty; its a good idea to add that because i have seen... many duplicate suggestions.

You are able to use the code. I made it a bbcode awhile ago. xD

text
text

Example for this thread:
Example Anchor
Anchor

This is what it looks like:
Example Anchor
Anchor

Click "Example" and it takes you to Anchor.

The "Example Anchor" within the anchor is optional. If you just do text it will still work as long as the "text" is exactly the same as the "text" for the [jump].

Deathhawk
04-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I could use a "War Strategy for Dummies" topic.

I still don't know how the cR system and shit works. I've read the details... but I still don't grasp it.

GhostHammer
04-22-2012, 03:29 PM
That can be included in the video. Myth or WC? Would you like something drafted up?

RaZ Vader
04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
That can be included in the video. Myth or WC? Would you like something drafted up?

I say go for it :)

GhostHammer
04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Eye 'El Cap-ee-tan! Camera is rolling...

Nocte
04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Love. Love. Love. This idea. I can do some dialogue if need be. I have a cool shiny mic :p