PDA

View Full Version : GRFS Review

GhostHammer
05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Hey all you Ghost Recon fans!

As most of you know, the Ghost Recon Future Solider multiplayer closed beta has come to a close. For those lucky enough to play, the release date can't come soon enough. I've broken down the Beta in a review, what I like, what I don't like, and what was simply amazing. Without further adieu, let's get this started!

Environment
Aesthetically the game is beautiful. Environments look very believable. Nothing looks "arena" like and there is great use of cover and line of sight. Enviromental effects such as wind, debris, and plants are great also. Overall a beautiful looking game, Ubisoft really did well with the look of things.

Spawning
Spawning was great. As a long time player of GR sometimes a good team can really keep you from being effective out of your spawn. Although you can lock down spawns in GRFS there is a "No pass" zone that allows you to spawn and orient yourself without fear of being shot. Furthermore, if the enemy keep holding you at the edge of that zone, you get "deployed" from an alternate zone behind enemy lines, thus defeating the spawn camp. They don't put you too close to the hostiles, and it forces them to turn around and move back to their spawn zone. Really effective way to fix this issue. A+ on that one.

Classes
In the GRFS Beta you were able to play as three classes...

-Rifleman/Support
This was your main assaulter. Used rifles and machine guns, primarily carried a frag. Overall the "standard" class for general combat. Frags were used a lot I found, and they hurt A LOT. Easily take people out behind cover, although if you're far enough away it just knocks you over. Standing up takes some time, so it leaves you defenseless.

-Scout/Sniper
This was the "cloaking" class. Had to stay still to be cloaked but you could peak over cover without disrupting the cloak. Used snipers and SMGs. The cloaking wasn't too overpowered in my opinion. It was able to be seen if you're looking, and with the realism (See below) it was easy to take them out. Flashbangs on this class are DEADLY. They blind you for a LONG 5 seconds, and I'm talking pure blank white.

-Engineer/CQB
Used PDW's and Shotguns. Overall solid in CQB but beyond that I found the Rifleman to be superior in almost every way. Carried Sensor Grenades that tagged people in their radius. This basically outlined them in red and allowed them to be seen through walls, smoke, etc. Also can use a UAV which is THE MOST ANNOYING FUCKING DEVICE IN THE GAME. It's too damn fast and small to hit with any accurate weapons fire. I hope Ubi fixes this in some way. It is very unbalanced and if you abuse it right, you'll keep the entire team lit up 24/7 which to me, is too much like CoD Mini-Map camping.

Movement
If you've played GoW then you'll fit right in here. You're able to sprint like you can in GoW and actually run INTO cover, just like Gears. Once in cover, you can move around, peak over, duck, etc. No blindfire, but you can fire without sighting your weapon. Best feature IMO is when you move your stick towards another piece of cover. There is an option to "Hold A to Move to Cover." When you do this, your character automatically takes the shortest route to that cover as fast as possible. In Essence, you can move cover to cover very fast in this game. If you decide mid movement to stop moving to said cover, you can just release "A" and you will simply stop running where you are. This element has really helped quicken and smoothen the movement in GR as compared to previous games.

Weapons
Love them. All of the modern firearms and a sprinkle of future ones. Customization is endless. Gas tubes, trigger groups, pain, grips, optics, you name it. You can build your weapon however you see fit. Some of my person favorites were the ACR and the MP7. Both were insane mid range. One downside I found, was the Russian weapons were lacking in punch and style. Worse off, you couldn't use American weapons as a Russian and vice versa. I hope this is changed on the release.

Gameplay
Gameplay with GRFS has been given a serious overhaul. It keep the tactics of previous GR games, a major spike in importance of cover, and pushed the pace of the fighting up BIG time. Not quite run and gun like CoD, and no where NEAR as slow as the old GR. Think more Gears-BF pace. I love it personally. I've always liked GR and this increase of pace will hopefully, bring more players to the franchise.

Realism
DROOL. This is so well done! Single shot to head is a kill. 2-5 rounds to the body is a kill. It's very realistic and I love it. It means that if you see some jackass camping a corner, and are fast enough, you can put a round into his face and drop him, no questions asked. It also means you can use single shot and win against a full auto if you know how to aim. I'm so excited with this, it's not as "one shot" as CoD hardcore, and not even close to regular CoD gameplay. They've done well here.

Overall
The Beta was amazing. Besides issues with their servers and some connection, I thought the multiplayer was amazing. Can't wait for this to be released in full, just wish I had more time to play it :P