PDA

View Full Version : 17+?

SuRroundeD By 1
05-19-2012, 09:01 PM
So I was minding my own damn business one day when a random thought popped into my mind.

I'm 17, a M-rated game, technically means 17+. That's what every game ever that has been given an M-rating has said, 17+. However, when I had went to pre-order Halo 4 (this was when I was 16) the employee there asked if I was 18 (of course I said no, but I've been mistaken for being older than my actual age before, it comes with the facial hair). So I had my mom get it for me and blah blah blah.

Here is my question: When Halo 4 finally releases (11/6/12) will I be able to roll up and pick up my copy of Halo 4? Or do I have to legally be 18 despite the fact that the box says 17+?

Thanks,

~ SuRroundeD By 1

RaZ Vader
05-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I say you should be able to get it if ESRB Rating states "M" rated games are considered for ages 17+

Personally, in my opinion I would rate Halo as a "T" just because it is not as bad as other games like GTA, Deadspace, etc.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
05-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I believe you still have to be 18, although I don't know for sure. It's been a while since I've had that sort of dilemma. I think they say you can "buy" the game at 17 as long as you have a parent with you. Where as if you are under 17 then a parent would have to buy it straight up.

SuRroundeD By 1
05-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I say you should be able to get it if ESRB Rating states "M" rated games are considered for ages 17+

Personally, in my opinion I would rate Halo as a "T" just because it is not as bad as other games like GTA, Deadspace, etc.

I completely agree, although Halo 4 is supposed to be darker than the previous trilogies (as far as the story goes).

I believe you still have to be 18, although I don't know for sure. It's been a while since I've had that sort of dilemma. I think they say you can "buy" the game at 17 as long as you have a parent with you. Where as if you are under 17 then a parent would have to buy it straight up.

I hope that's not the case . . . I'll be . . . like the only person there who will be with his mom buying the game haha.

Gargoyle
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM
As an ex worker of the glorious empire that is Wal-Mart, it varies store to store. Some stores you have to be 18, others you can be 17, and others you can be 17 but need a parent. For my Wal-Mart, it was easier for business to make it 17+ so thats what we had. These regulations are open for flexibly, just like how games are sold on Tuesdays.

Blackhawk570
05-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Surrounded I will hold your hand for you <3

SuRroundeD By 1
05-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Surrounded I will hold your hand for you <3

Aww, thx bud. You don't happen to live in Pennsylvania, Michigan then do you?

As an ex worker of the glorious empire that is Wal-Mart, it varies store to store. Some stores you have to be 18, others you can be 17, and others you can be 17 but need a parent. For my Wal-Mart, it was easier for business to make it 17+ so thats what we had. These regulations are open for flexibly, just like how games are sold on Tuesdays.

I hope GameStop is the same way then . . . I guess I'll just have to go up and ask then.

Spartanbh
05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
By Supreme Court rule in 2011, all stores by law should be able to sell games to children under 17. At the same time however, I think most Gamestops have their own policy when it comes to selling to that young. But lawfully, there are no actual rules by the government anymore restricting it.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/06/27/supreme-court-video-game-violence/

SuRroundeD By 1
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
By Supreme Court rule in 2011, all stores by law should be able to sell games to children under 17. At the same time however, I think most Gamestops have their own policy when it comes to selling to that young. But lawfully, there are no actual rules by the government anymore restricting it.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/06/27/supreme-court-video-game-violence/

Haha I can't believe something like this went to the Supreme Court. Thanks Spartan, what I'll probably end up doing though is just drive up to the one a mile away and ask. Well see how that works, but I think it would be stupid if they wouldn't . . . I mean . . . the box says 17+, and I could pass for 19 when I don't shave.

Carpe Vexillum
05-20-2012, 01:00 AM
If your 17 yes. with proof of course. I have this problem because I look younger than I am.

Vestige
05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
This has bothered me before. Game sites, like COD Elite, ask you to be 18 to enter; where the rating is M (17+). I have no bother now, that I am 18. Which is also the legal age in Alberta, Canada. So yea.. BTW, you should have waited to pre-order Halo: 4; the limited edition was released just last week!

Yehsus
05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
It should be 21+

Anarchy
05-20-2012, 01:25 PM
The only Gamestop near me requires you be 18. I learned that one the hard way. It varies from store to store, really. However I doubt there's much in terms of law enforcement on the matter.

Vestige
05-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Should be 18, your out of High school, and basically on your own.

Choca Cola
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Like some have said, depends on your store. The Gamestop where I am has a 18+ policy while another has 17+ farther away.

SuRroundeD By 1
05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
This has bothered me before. Game sites, like COD Elite, ask you to be 18 to enter; where the rating is M (17+). I have no bother now, that I am 18. Which is also the legal age in Alberta, Canada. So yea.. BTW, you should have waited to pre-order Halo: 4; the limited edition was released just last week!

Haha I can always swap my preorder to the limited edition. I don't know if I want it though . . . it'd take some major convincing (as I'm down on money).

It should be 21+

What . . . you don't love kids like me?

The only Gamestop near me requires you be 18. I learned that one the hard way. It varies from store to store, really. However I doubt there's much in terms of law enforcement on the matter.

Cops bust in: "Under-age kid got a game!" *bang bang bang*

Anyone whose seen asdfmovie1 would understand that reference.

Like some have said, depends on your store. The Gamestop where I am has a 18+ policy while another has 17+ farther away.

Yeah, still haven't asked mine yet.