PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lord of the Rings

Graycochea
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Is Gandalf the White a different person than Gandalf the Grey? I'm watching The Two Towers and he doesn't seem to remember everything before he died. He also spoke of what they used to call him(Gandalf the Grey), like he's been gone for a long time.

VerbotenDonkey
06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
It's depends a lot on mysticism. It's kind of magical. You can think of it as a "computer upgrade" though. Gandalf is kind of taking Saruman's spot as the White Wizard.

The movie really doesn't go much into detail on anything, it's all in the books.

MedeDust
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Same guy.

Graycochea
06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
So should I read the books? How much extra info do they have than in the movies?

GhostHammer
06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Basically...

The "Powers That Be" realized Saruman was no longer a "Good Wizard" and revoked his status as the "White Wizard" and reincarnated Gandalf to replace Saruman's good Wizard spot.

MedeDust
06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
The book will always have so much more information, and the movie always adds extra stuff not in the book.

Graycochea
06-13-2012, 02:18 AM
I guess I may read the books now. I've had them forever and even started Fellowship, but I couldn't get into it because, like the movie, it's really slow and boring in the beginning. I love the Return of the King though. I watch that movie by itself all the time. I've seen that one more times than the first two combined. Anyway, thanks guys. Feel free to rant about LotR here if you want to.