PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Compatibility

Graycochea
06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
So, apparently, the new Playstation, codenamed Orbis, will not only NOT be backwards compatible but will also have some sort of protection against used games. This means no more buying cheap used games and no playing old games on new platforms. We're either going to have to rebuy digital copies of all our old games or... just that, we'll have to rebuy digital copies of all our old games. I know most are like "I'll keep my old console handy for when I want to replay one of my classics.". But what happens in 15 years when all our consoles break and they become harder to find than a piece of straw in a haystack? Not only is this rumored for PSO, but also for the new Xbox. So, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Good? Bad? Another way for game companies to cheat us out of our money?

Me? I think it's terrible. Unless they have some way of giving us free copies of games we've already bought, like a barcode scanner or a disc burner. I was talking to my mom and got the idea. It'll be like Itunes. You burn a game onto the console then it goes into a library you can access using Cloud memory. Something like that. I really don't want to rebuy my games and I know in 15 years I'm going to want to play Uncharted, Mercenaries, Kingdom Hearts, Mass Effect, Gears, and Halo. I've already tried buying digital copies of my PS2 games and they don't even have them on PSN. They have 12 games for PS2 compared to the 150 games for PS1(exaggeration?). This would mean that Orbis will have a huge library of PS2 games and we'll have to wait for the Next Next Gen for a respectable PS3 library. So, I think it's bad, very, very, bad. Then again, I'm just kinda worried about the future of gaming.

Acid
06-16-2012, 09:24 PM
It's bullshit. Sony and Microsoft are really turning console gaming inside when they pull this kind of shit.

Mythonian
06-16-2012, 11:15 PM
One more reason to go back to full PC gaming, it seems.

Graycochea
06-17-2012, 12:03 AM
I how I wish I could PC game. I totally would too.

Silko
06-17-2012, 12:20 AM
I partly do and if they pull that bullshit I just may do it.

Graycochea
06-17-2012, 09:54 AM
If they just didn't add backwards compatibility, I wouldn't be so angry. I'd be more sad than angry. I'm angry at the fact that they're trying to ban used games. That shows they are actively trying to find ways to fuck us over. There was a time when people would just put games on a CD rack and if anyone wanted them, they could just take one. Word of mouth spread, games became big, and corporate executives have had their teeth and claws in us ever since. Something has to change.

KillerGUNNY132
06-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I actually read that some specs on the new Xbox were leaked and that it stated that it would be backwards compatible.

Mythonian
06-17-2012, 05:27 PM
If they just didn't add backwards compatibility, I wouldn't be so angry. I'd be more sad than angry. I'm angry at the fact that they're trying to ban used games. That shows they are actively trying to find ways to fuck us over. There was a time when people would just put games on a CD rack and if anyone wanted them, they could just take one. Word of mouth spread, games became big, and corporate executives have had their teeth and claws in us ever since. Something has to change.

It's not that they are screwing us over, it's that effectively, retailers have been using used games to screw over the companies. For a used game, retailers get 100% of the profits and the company gets absolutely nothing. They are doing nothing more than ensuring that they get the profits for the game that they made, which I personally see nothing wrong with.

However, if they remove the option of renting games (which will likely happen), then I consider it a problem (unless they have a demo or something). People should be able to preview the game before purchasing, but if they want to purchase it then they should pay full price.

I actually read that some specs on the new Xbox were leaked and that it stated that it would be backwards compatible.

Well, considering that they haven't said anything officially, it's all rumors anyway. There's been no real evidence either way.

Metkil5685
06-17-2012, 05:27 PM

They said the same thing with the X360 and Xbox. Look how much support we actually got. Backwards compatibility is a weird subject, but think of this. Until the X360, PS3, and Wii generation, we never had true backwards compatibility. This current generation had some signs of it, but the Wii was the only one to pull it off with the GC titles. The support on the PS3 and X360 is minimal at best.

Backwards compatibility is actually a lot harder to accomplish then you think. Yes, they will be using the same medium in this next generation as they do this current generation, but the architecture of the games is a problem. The reason PCs are able to play older games with little to no issue is the libraries that the games utilize typically have the same objects, but modified. They also need to be generic as the variety of hardware the software needs to interface with. Ask any PC gamer and you will learn that most games have an issue with something (Intel or AMD; Nvidia or ATi). Always happens, but the generic drivers and libraries allow you to play it anyways.

Now consoles have to use specific libraries and drivers. This makes the games developed for the consoles are specific to those. Now in order for a console to backwards compatible, they need to have similar hardware (like the GC and Wii) and/or use more generic libraries (which means more platforms can run it, I prefer this method. Makes consoles more like PCs. =D).

So end of the game it's two factors for backwards compatibility. 1) The amount of work system designers would need to do to ensure backwards compatibility. 2) Greed. You know that more labor means more money spent, so the work to ensure would "cost too much." Also, the companies know that most of the gaming market will ALWAYS want the latest and greatest. Which means buying the latest console and latest games. So not spending the money to do so, means more profit.

Now, this second one is just personal opinion is not based on ANY fact. Honestly, I've already left console gaming for the most part, so this does not affect me much.

tl;dr Backwards compatibility is a hard thing to ultimately pull off.

Maxdoggy
06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
If Blockbuster stops being a thing I will be so screwed. Lol. That's basically how I play most of my games nowadays. The most recent purchase I've made in video games was preordering Halo 4 and buying Mass Effect 3.

Carpe Vexillum
06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Not to mention even now you have to pay so much more for downloaded games. I refuse to pay 20 dollars for a PS2 game no matter how much I like it.

Luckily I own every Gen from PS1 to Xbox, but right in the future when they break or become unusable and hard to find what will we do?

While it may be hard to do it seems like they did it just fine for the Xbox, releasing updates for the titles after it launched rather than messing with the system.

As for used games it was already said perfectly - they forgot how they got so big where the support came from.

Now their just turning gaming into a more and more expensive hobby.

Its crap and I am sure there will be some sort of petition. So sign that bitch when it arrives. When they realize they will lose sales and create and angry mob... lol

Graycochea
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I didn't know they don't get anything from a used sale, but do they really need the $12 from a used sale when I pay $10 dollars every month? It's not like the company will fail if they don't get it. Who doesn't get the money, Developers, Publishers, or Console makers?

I know how they're going to do it. They're going to ban used games using Origin. Naturally EA would be the ones helping to destroy the Video Game Industry. Like when you first put in Mass Effect 3 and it says checking for Origin account, I'm pretty sure it's registering the game.

Does anyone think we'll ever see the rise of a new system? One that would knock Sony and Microsoft of their pedestal? I believe they've summarily destroyed Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo may have destroyed Nintendo. I dunno.

Mythonian
06-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I didn't know they don't get anything from a used sale, but do they really need the $12 from a used sale when I pay $10 dollars every month? It's not like the company will fail if they don't get it. Who doesn't get the money, Developers, Publishers, or Console makers?

I know how they're going to do it. They're going to ban used games using Origin. Naturally EA would be the ones helping to destroy the Video Game Industry. Like when you first put in Mass Effect 3 and it says checking for Origin account, I'm pretty sure it's registering the game.

Does anyone think we'll ever see the rise of a new system? One that would knock Sony and Microsoft of their pedestal? I believe they've summarily destroyed Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo may have destroyed Nintendo. I dunno.

Neither the developers, publishers, nor the console makers get the money from used sales. 100% goes to the retailer. If, let's say, 20% of all sales for a game are from used sales, that's a huge amount of money the developers don't get.

Many, many game companies have gone out of business from not getting enough profits from games. Used sales have done nothing to help them and have only made it even harder for them to get the profits they need.

Origin will never become fully mainstream or standard. Services similar to it, though, will become much more common.

Knock them off the pedestal... Well, the only way for that to happen would be for consumers to stand up for themselves more and actually hold the developers/publishers up to the high standard that some preach about. But unfortunately that's never going to happen, so they will never be knocked off their pedestal and will continue getting away with lackluster games, services, etc.

bazongaman502
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
If Blockbuster stops being a thing I will be so screwed. Lol. That's basically how I play most of my games nowadays. The most recent purchase I've made in video games was preordering Halo 4 and buying Mass Effect 3.

Blockbuster still exgsits for you?? lol

There isnt a single blockbuster near me thats within... id say, 20 miles? lol

ontopic: Nothing is confirmed, Microsoft doesnt talk about rumors that have been around since day one. We will just have to wait and see

Vestige
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Your lucky, in Canada; there is no more Blockbuster.

Graycochea
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen a blockbuster around this region thats not closed down.

What if Sega were to re-emerge? I remember the Genesis. First console I ever played on. The DreamCast was ahead of it's time.

bazongaman502
06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen a blockbuster around this region thats not closed down.

What if Sega were to re-emerge? I remember the Genesis. First console I ever played on. The DreamCast was ahead of it's time.

oh the memories

Graycochea
06-19-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm under the impression the reason the DreamCast failed was because of it's premature use of discs. It's like Sega dies, THEN everybody starts using discs. I'm also pretty sure DC was the first to experiment with online multiplayer. Ahead of its time. :(

Spartanbh
06-19-2012, 01:37 AM
I work at a place that specializes in mainly used DVDs, Video Games, and CDs. If the new systems did this, it wouldn't only hurt my company (The Exchange), but it could potentially damage MANY, MANY, MANY other companies similar to mine. Even GameStop would be hurt if Sony/Microsoft did something like that. I highly doubt they would go that far just to ensure there is no such thing as used games anymore. That would be stupid and the consumer would turn away from the companies in a heartbeat.

Graycochea
06-19-2012, 01:59 AM
I highly doubt they would go that far just to ensure there is no such thing as used games anymore. That would be stupid and the consumer would turn away from the companies in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't underestimate their greed and they know even if they did this, they won't lose all gamers. Gamers will hate them, but still buy games. Humanity is stupid that way. The only other option is PC gaming and I'm not trying to knock it, but most people, such as I, don't have the means to get a good enough PC to play newer games. That's how they hook and keep people. There are only 3 consoles, so there isn't much choice, but if they all do it we either suffer it as a necessary evil, PC game, or quit video games for good. I don't know about other people, but for me, quitting video games outright would be like ripping out my lungs. I couldn't live. On another note...

... you work at The Exchange? We have one of those, I think, on Peach Street, like a retail hub for Erie. What are prices like? I've always wanted to go in there and peruse but, sadly, I've never been able to find the time.

Spartanbh
06-19-2012, 02:15 AM
... you work at The Exchange? We have one of those, I think, on Peach Street, like a retail hub for Erie. What are prices like? I've always wanted to go in there and peruse but, sadly, I've never been able to find the time.

Yeah Erie is one of the stores in the chain. Prices are REALLY good for video games, normally A LOT better than Gamestop. Plus you can buy/sell/trade all kinds of DVDs, CDs, Video Games. All the Exchanges also have a bunch of classic video games like NES, SNES, Genesis/Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1 and 2, Xbox, Gameboy original through DS, and pretty much all the good stuff in between. All The Exchanges rely on used goods, and Video Games are our biggest sellers. If either microsoft or Sony decided to do that shit with their systems, our industry would go to shit.

Graycochea
06-19-2012, 03:36 AM
When you sell used stuff do you get a fair price or is it like the Gamestop price of approximately $2.41 for a game bought new yesterday. I honestly am making going to this store an Alpha Priority behind getting into college and winning this godforsaken war.

EDIT: I freaking found this! If it pertained anymore to this conversation, it would be here talking with us right. fucking. now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4qHZsytKk&feature=relmfu

It's like this squirrel is reading my goddamned mind! I love the internet. Only here will you find this kind of serendipity.

3rd EDIT: I found another video that sort of pertains to used stuff and what Myth was saying about where money goes. Since I'm sure there's a rule somewhere about having a million videos in one post I'll just put the name and if anyone wishes to see it, they can.

Removal of Ownership : Foamy The Squirrel