PDA

View Full Version : Mercy Rules

Deathhawk
07-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Ever been playing a match in FC and thinking, "FUCK THIS STUPID SHIT!! THIS IS GAY!!!! FUCK! GODDAMN IT, ALL WE'RE DOING IS BEING SPAWNKILLED!!!! RAAGHEBBELKNEF!!!!!!!"

Well, you aren't alone. There's at least 1 game per battlenight where one team is getting unfairly ravaged.

Considering we are about competitive respect, I don't see how it's respectful to beat a dead horse into a dusty pulp. Let alone competitive.
So, I propose a mercy rule be enacted.

If a team in any FC match is losing by a large margin, they should be given the option to end the game early. -in an honorable method.

For instance, I was playing a game on Puke, er, sorry, Pulse, where we quickly went under by about 5 flag caps.
Well, at the end of the game it was 1-14, and we hadn't scored since the first two minutes, and they had proceeded to ruin our night, and capture an unnecessary amount of flag caps. But, we didn't quit because it's dishonorable.

I felt disheartened when my teammate said "Welcome to Forerunner Conflict. Where just about everything is shitty"

I think this waaay overdue. Mercy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRA_AQ-Azo4) Rules.

Mi Boys Dinner
07-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Due to not having been in the game (lol lost the game) for a while, I have no opinion to any of this.

I'm here because I strangely like this song too. :|

VerbotenDonkey
07-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Sounds good to me.

silversleek
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
i don't see many using it, even if they want to, playing them keeps the good squads out longer and helps the army as a whole.

Yehsus
07-15-2012, 09:42 PM
I hold the boys back when we're up by 3 in any objective. In slayer, its gonna happen :(

Sounds like a good idea.

H2O Yordle
07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Objective based lines, I agree. Like Yehsus said Slayer its gonna happen. Eather put a point game on games like flag/bomb or add mercy rules.

xXReiBearXx
07-15-2012, 11:14 PM
I actually agree with Deathhawk. I like this idea. I like it very much.

Anarchy
07-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Just make it so that a team's ranking officer can "Forfeit" any time they want.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
I like it, however we can't abuse it. I say:
any given unit is only allowed to use it once per battle night.
only if the game has been in play for at least 5 minutes.
at least 3/4 consent from the team willing to forfeit, plus the consent of the highest ranking member of that team.

Legit
07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
No Shooting within the 18

H2O Yordle
07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Exaclty, no shots within the 18.

VerbotenDonkey
07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Only thing I can see this messing up is the Stats xD Since you wouldn't get the full game in.

Still think it should be added though. Because we're about fun.

xXReiBearXx
07-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Only thing I can see this messing up is the Stats xD Since you wouldn't get the full game in.

Still think it should be added though. Because we're about fun.

Even though we do this for fun, it does tend to get competitive sometimes. It is kinda frustrating when you know you're getting pounded an you just lost all ambition to continue. I think it's a good idea because it's kinda like we see when we have been defeated even before the time runs out so we graciously forfeit.

Choca Cola
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm up for this, on Battle Night's there is usually one match that can be described as domination. However we should have rules in place as to under what circumstances you could throw the match, and how the team would carry it out.

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Verboten, I don't see how that'd mess up stats? :nerd:

bazongaman502
07-16-2012, 01:14 AM
how would this be settled then?

If a team wishes to enact the "Mercy" rule, should they crouch and aim at the ground to signify they arent continuing any further? Send the lobby leader a message saying they are forfiting?

Like how will this happen?

I like the idea btw, i come across alot of those kinds of games every war

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM
the leader of the forefiting team will just switch to the other team and announce that they are throwing in the towel.

bazongaman502
07-16-2012, 01:41 AM
the leader of the forefiting team will just switch to the other team and announce that they are throwing in the towel.

Should forfit games count in the stats?

cuz doesnt the person that switches between the teams to tell the other team they forfit lose their stats?

xXReiBearXx
07-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Should forfit games count in the stats?

cuz doesnt the person that switches between the teams to tell the other team they forfit lose their stats?

I think Forfeiting should go on stats.

VerbotenDonkey
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Verboten, I don't see how that'd mess up stats? :nerd:

If you're going for most kills for FC Top 10 and the opposing Team ends the game halfway through, you're losing out on like 7 minutes of kills.

H2O Yordle
07-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Thats why I said only Objective based games. The highest rank sends the party leader a message saying we're done. If the leader dosnt end the game they should get some kinda punishment, not to bad but enough to not make them wanna do it again.

VerbotenDonkey
07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Thats why I said only Objective based games. The highest rank sends the party leader a message saying we're done. If the leader dosnt end the game they should get some kinda punishment, not to bad but enough to not make them wanna do it again.

Kills in objective games still count towards Top 10.

H2O Yordle
07-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh, eh.

Nicholas Sapien
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
So is this actually being implemented
*looks at forum*
oh well, still worth for war council to look at this

Guzzie
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Why are people thinking of ways of accepting defeat instead of thinking of ways to get better. Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me. If you are getting beat so bad that you are considering giving up, as a squad/platoon CO you should be trying to make your team better, not accept the fact. You win some, you loose some, it's as simple as that.

If a squad feels like they are outmatched, I say take care of it before the game even starts, in the lobby. Have the field marshal of that army send a more adequate squad in to play. No sense cutting a game short just because you can't be a man for 15 minutes.

Deathhawk
07-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Why are people thinking of ways of accepting defeat instead of thinking of ways to get better. Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me. If you are getting beat so bad that you are considering giving up, as a squad/platoon CO you should be trying to make your team better, not accept the fact. You win some, you loose some, it's as simple as that.

If a squad feels like they are outmatched, I say take care of it before the game even starts, in the lobby. Have the field marshal of that army send a more adequate squad in to play. No sense cutting a game short just because you can't be a man for 15 minutes.

Not everyone cares so much.

Try convincing a casual gamer (The majority of our community) to put in a lot of work, time and effort in a dated videogame to improve their skill so they can not get their ass whooped while they're just trying to enjoy themselves in an online community.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Also, on a personal level, when was the last time you were consistently pulverized? I don't think you know what it's like to be on the other end.

Guzzie
07-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Try convincing a casual gamer (The majority of our community) to put in a lot of work, time and effort in a dated videogame to improve their skill so they can not get their ass whooped while they're just trying to enjoy themselves in an online community.

Also, on a personal level, when was the last time you were consistently pulverized? I don't think you know what it's like to be on the other end.
Not ridiculous, unfair maybe. Regardless, I still stand by what I said. If it can be taken care of before the game starts, it should.

I've lost plenty of games, some worse than others, but losing makes winning that much better. Giving up, for me, is more of a pride thing. I would rather play the entire game than quit (unless it's laggy, I can't stand lag). I've seem many comeback from behind wins, and essentially, taking that out of the battles because you don't want to loose too bad just seems silly to me.

xXReiBearXx
07-16-2012, 02:50 PM

I have to agree with Deathhawk completely on this. No matter how much you improve there will always be someone better. This is suppose to be fun but you can easily tell the outcome of a game when you know your team is going to lose. If anything, if the team that is losing all agree on it then it shouldn't be a big deal to graciously forfeit. Deathhawk has the right idea. I'm on board.

Nicholas Sapien
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Got to agree with Deathhawk

Deathhawk
07-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Not ridiculous, unfair maybe. Regardless, I still stand by what I said. If it can be taken care of before the game starts, it should.

I've lost plenty of games, some worse than others, but losing makes winning that much better. Giving up, for me, is more of a pride thing. I would rather play the entire game than quit (unless it's laggy, I can't stand lag). I've seem many comeback from behind wins, and essentially, taking that out of the battles because you don't want to loose too bad just seems silly to me.

I get the pride thing, and I agree, but this is more of a sanctioned thing rather then your whole team ragequitting. It's putting down your weapons and saying "You won. We lost. Good Game."

It's not taking that out of battles at all! It's completely up to the squad who's losing. If they want to fight on- they can.
Plus, I don't think anybody would ever surrender unless they were losing by a very large margin, or perhaps lagging past the 2 minute rule.

If you think about it, it makes sense for a war-sim. Surrendering and becoming prisoners of war, rather than being massacred. It's been a part of war for a long time!

Link2Halo
07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
I got to agree with Deathawk, I mean sure everyone wants to get better but there are always matches where you just get owned and you don't even try anymore.

Reaper
07-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I got to agree with Deathawk, I mean sure everyone wants to get better but there are always matches where you just get owned and you don't even try anymore.

xXReiBearXx
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Not %100 sure if this is a new or old rule, but I noticed Myth updated the Rules of Engagment (http://fcwars.net/forums/showthread.php?6912-Rules-of-Engagement) yesterday...

2.5 If one participating unit entirely quits the game without prior warning or extraneous circumstances, then it is to be considered a forfeit by the infringing unit.

Mythonian
07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Not %100 sure if this is a new or old rule, but I noticed Myth updated the Rules of Engagment (http://fcwars.net/forums/showthread.php?6912-Rules-of-Engagement) yesterday...

2.5 If one participating unit entirely quits the game without prior warning or extraneous circumstances, then it is to be considered a forfeit by the infringing unit.

That's an old rule.

However, we are currently discussing the possibility of a Mercy Rule of sorts. We'll let everyone know what we decide to do.