PDA

View Full Version : Where you're the controller...

Graycochea
07-18-2012, 07:06 PM
So, unless any of you have been living under a rock for the better part of 6-ish years, give or take, great strides in motion controlled video games have been made from the epic failure that was the Sixaxis Playstation controller which made getting Nathan Drake across a fallen tree or log a tiny bit more difficult to the Xbox Kinect which basically turns your body into a controller and your living room into a dance club. I would like to know what you guys think. From the Sixaxis Experiment to the Nintendo motion Revolution(see what I did there?) to the motion control beast formerly known as Natal(<--That might help you with the Revolution thing.)

I think Playstation should just put away their wands and stop trying. Nintendo, as far as I'm concerned has the most to offer with it's motion control experience. Kinect is a far better idea than Nintendo(which you still need a controller for), but the controller gives you more control. All Kinect really has(and I'm not sure about this, I've never really explored Kinects game library) is dance games. Wii has the dance games and the sports games and the fighting games. The Wii motion controller has been easily integrated into sword games(e.g. Legend of Zelda) and First Person Shooters(e.g. CoD: WaW). WaW got the short stick on Wii concerning online playability, but strictly from a motion controlled weapon standpoint it was a very good game.

So far the most far reaching feature on the Kinect hasn't been motion control, but voice commands. Motion control is used for all the dance games, but like Wii motion control has been integrated into all games(fight, dance, sports) Kinect voice commands are more prominently featured. They're in Halo:CEA, ME3, and they've been integrated into Skyrim(but yelling Fus Roh Dah when your parents are sleeping is not a good thing. And you can't whisper Fus Roh Dah. It's not possible. You have to yell it, why? Because you're the dragonborn.) Off topic. Anyways, it's like the Kinect motion control failed but now they're retooling the technology to better accomodate what people will use it for. What I truly believe though? I think Kinect could surpass Wii. I really do. Wii is better because the motion control is integrated with all different games. If Kinect integrated their motion control with shooters and fighters, OMG! No, but seriously who wouldn't want to kick the crap out of Sub Zero on Mortal Kombat? They could make gun controllers like Wii but better cooler ones. You buy one that can be used across every game. MA5B, Battle Rifle, DMR, M-8 Avenger, M4A1, M1 Garand, 1911 Colt .45, Swords, Shields, Lancer(what person on Earth wouldn't want a machine gun with a chainsaw attached to it, even if it was plastic). Of course you'll naturally get the try-hards who will buy all of them.

That's probably why Kinect hasn't been used for more games. No controller. The guns or swords will have control sticks and buttons which is how you'll be able to play Halo and that. So... this tangent is over.

tl;dr Motion control, whatchu' think?

Coda
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
If kinect was completely perfected*, I think it would be much more diverse and enjoyable. Until then, I don't really use it

However, it's the same with wii. Even with the wii motion plus, it still doesn't work perfectly. Once it works perfectly, who knows what kind of games you could have.

*by perfect, I mean having it find your body perfectly. If your dog walks past your screen, your character shouldn't curl up in a ball and have a seizure. That's a little scary. But funny. If it was perfected, you could do extremely complicated movements, and it would do the same. Immediate reactions, etc.