PDA

View Full Version : Do away with the FM participation limit

Rokkman X
08-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Thought about it, and one of the things that doesn't really make sense to me is that the FM can participate in battles only once per calendar month and in the HiCom battle at the conclusion of the war. I think this is unnecessary, most of the time the FM would be the one to set up matches but there is no real reason to limit it so much, as the HiCom is capable of doing it as well.

When Wu Ch'i was a general he took the same food and wore the same clothes as the lowliest of his troops. On his bed, there was no mat; on the march he did not mount his horse; he himself carried his reserve rations. He shared exhaustion and bitter toil with his troops.

silversleek
08-31-2012, 07:19 PM
it's literally just so there's a garunteed person setting up matches. the general and other highcom members often go into games themselves. if the entire high com is in games....well...

Rokkman X
08-31-2012, 07:25 PM
This would be pre determined, If someone needed to do it the FM or another HiCom member would step up to do it. There's a reason why they're there. They have to look at the big picture and assess if it would be ok for which members to participate in a battle. They're not thoughtless or inconsiderate like that. Plus I'd like to take a few more cracks at the opposing teams FM every now and again. I'm sure the REDDs feel the same way.

Gargoyle
08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Not necessarily. I actually agree with the limit. It sucks, but when you agree to be the FM you know that you'll be sacrificing certain things. Majority of my time in high com has been sacrificing certain things to ensure your army is doing good. Yeah other high com members could do it, but it's just nice to know you have one guy you can always depend on. One guy that understands the situation with his army. What squads work well together, who leads what squad (co/xo), what gametype wins do we need, etc.

When Unlucky works, I usually fill in as FM and even I find a few troubles now and then cuz I'm not the regular FM and dont understand 100% of eveything.

Maxdoggy
08-31-2012, 07:46 PM
We did this so that the HC doesn't get shafted by the Field Marshal who can order them to run Battle Nights so that he can play.

The FM position has this roll as they lead the army.

Also, that's why the General Position is the best spot in this community.

Mythonian
08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
There are differences between the position of Field Marshal and the other HC positions.

The Field Marshal position is rarely an appointed position. You have to apply for it and be elected usually. The rest of HC, though, is appointed by the FM.

If you apply to be FM, you are not merely getting a promotion to the next rank of HC or something, you are changing the way you look at the community and interact with it.

The FM sacrifices the fun he would have on Sundays so that he can allow others to have fun instead. The FM position is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to be a job.

We used to have FMs play more often in battles (such as the First Reach War) and it caused a few problems. So, in the middle of that war we created the limit to ensure that the battle nights ran smoothly and effectively, but that they still have the option to play every now and then.

However, with the limit, the majority of FMs don't even play the one battle night a month that they have the option to. This is because they take their job seriously and would rather let others have fun instead. (or at least that's what they should be thinking).

Nicholas Sapien
08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
It was in the FM handbook....What? did any of you ever read it?
And thats why General is the best position in the army

Al Capone111
08-31-2012, 09:43 PM
I remember that back in the day (H3) tied maps were decided by a High Comm vs High Comm battle. All the squads would be sitting around waiting for those matches to end just to see who one. It created that sorta "My dad can kick your dad's ass" feel to it.

Spartanbh
08-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Personally, when I was at the top I rarely liked playing...being in that FM position kind of gives you a feeling of playing a RTS where you're directing what troops are fighting where and who. Sure playing more would be more fun, but as stated above several times, the FM accepts the sacrifice of playing in order to make sure others are having fun. I'm sure that whoever is FM feels good when they know that their army is having fun playing. Anyone in the FM position has had plenty of time being a grunt and on the frontlines of battles. When they get the honorable role of becoming FM, I'm sure their #1 priority is to make sure everyone else is having as much fun as the FM did at the grunt levels.

MedeDust
09-01-2012, 04:25 AM
You wouldnt understand till you get to the HC position.

I think we also decided because it was more "realistic" i guess.

bazongaman502
09-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Its the sacrifice the FM takes when accepting the position. Officers and higher should always try to get their guys in games before they do... id rather have all my guys in games and me sitting in a lobby all night... its just who i am.

I know UNLUCKY would love to play more often, but theres not much you can do when its your job to make sure everyone is in games.

Fuzzy
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
TThe FM sacrifices the fun he would have on Sundays so that he can allow others to have fun instead. The FM position is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to be a job.

Myth you took that quote from me. :P

MedeDust
09-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Myth you took that quote from me. :P

Crybaby.

Graycochea
09-02-2012, 12:40 AM
I'd like to hear what a current Field Marshal has to say about this...

Silko
09-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Does it really matter what a current one has to say? every FM in the reach wars minus ghosthammer and eagle has posted in this thread. Trust me this is for the best. You have to volunteer to become a FM, every FM past preset and future knows what they are signing up for. Sacrifices have to be made so others can enjoy themselves.

Of course there is always the saying: if it isn't broken don't fix it

Guzzie
09-02-2012, 01:04 AM
There are differences between the position of Field Marshal and the other HC positions.

The Field Marshal position is rarely an appointed position. You have to apply for it and be elected usually. The rest of HC, though, is appointed by the FM.

If you apply to be FM, you are not merely getting a promotion to the next rank of HC or something, you are changing the way you look at the community and interact with it.

The FM sacrifices the fun he would have on Sundays so that he can allow others to have fun instead. The FM position is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to be a job.

We used to have FMs play more often in battles (such as the First Reach War) and it caused a few problems. So, in the middle of that war we created the limit to ensure that the battle nights ran smoothly and effectively, but that they still have the option to play every now and then.

However, with the limit, the majority of FMs don't even play the one battle night a month that they have the option to. This is because they take their job seriously and would rather let others have fun instead. (or at least that's what they should be thinking).
Could not have put it better myself.

bazongaman502
09-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Does it really matter what a current one has to say? every FM in the reach wars minus ghosthammer and eagle has posted in this thread. Trust me this is for the best. You have to volunteer to become a FM, every FM past preset and future knows what they are signing up for. Sacrifices have to be made so others can enjoy themselves.

Of course there is always the saying: if it isn't broken don't fix it

+1

you sir, keep going up on my good side ;)

Gargoyle
09-02-2012, 12:54 PM
I agree with bazonga agreeing with silko.

4 other high com ranks that can play in games, take those.

Anarchy
09-02-2012, 01:43 PM
We know the sacrifice when we take the job. While I'd like to play a lot more, it really wouldn't make a difference if we had the requirement changed or not as far as BLUE goes, I've been trying to take my once a month ever since I got the job and still haven't been able to.

It's in our job description to not play much. We can still get once a month if we want, but in order to truly be an asset on the field, an FM would have to focus on other duties other than being FM in the first place.

Carpe Vexillum
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Takes the what he said stance-

If your a FM and doing your job correctly, you wont have time to play in battles. If you find yourself with time to play in battles, there is probably something else you could be doing to help things run smoothly, or preparing for after battle meetings/running over results and formulating plans.

Derp-derp.

Anarchy
09-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Playing 25% of the time (once a month) is enough for an FM. To make it so the FM can play more, we'd have to go beyond requirements, and start digging into the job itself.

Gargoyle
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
^
Hell, when I was FM, I didn't even have time to worry about playing. The job itself, if you do it correctly of course, will never give you short work. You'll be busy as an FM trust meh, Imma doctor.

Guzzie
09-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Members might also start voting for FMs based on skill rather than their capability when leading an army.

bazongaman502
09-05-2012, 04:56 PM
If you removed the amount of games the FM can play, basically you are making the entire HC playing as FM... like it has been said, being and FM is a job. You never see the US President wanting to go on the frontline of war. Someone has to stay back and do the job when required. Were actually lucky to have an FM play at all durring the war. But i can already bet on both FMs next war will play 1 time a month.

Members might also start voting for FMs based on skill rather than their capability when leading an army.

Not really, but it can happen because it leaves the FM being able to play any game he wants... but i dont see why anyone would do that, instead they would keep a strong group together.... NIce try Guzzie... you will not be FM :P

Carpe Vexillum
09-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Not really, but it can happen because it leaves the FM being able to play any game he wants... but i dont see why anyone would do that, instead they would keep a strong group together.... NIce try Guzzie... you will not be FM :P

Hey he was agreeing with your side.

Also, neither will you.

Zing!

<3

Case and point. Be a FM do your job, and lets move on. . .

Guzzie
09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
If you removed the amount of games the FM can play, basically you are making the entire HC playing as FM... like it has been said, being and FM is a job. You never see the US President wanting to go on the frontline of war. Someone has to stay back and do the job when required. Were actually lucky to have an FM play at all durring the war. But i can already bet on both FMs next war will play 1 time a month.

Not interested in the least bit nor was I implying anything lol.

bazongaman502
09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey he was agreeing with your side.

Also, neither will you.

Zing!

<3

Case and point. Be a FM do your job, and lets move on. . .

hey hey hey... i got robbed... everyone thought you were supposed to vote who you didn't want to win lol

Anarchy
09-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Actually that's already happening, just in the opposite sense.

3-4 people voted against me cause they wanted to play with me on Sundays xD.

UnicornFetus
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
i hart red.

MedeDust
09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Unnecessary bump and spam. This is your warning.

VerbotenDonkey
09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
i hart red.

Was this bump really necessary?

GhostHammer
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
FM's job is to run his army. He/She can't do that while playing in a game. If you want to be FM you should know ahead of time you wont catch much action on Sundays. If you still just want to play, don't apply for FM.

As Max said, General is a great spot to both help the community and play pretty regularly.

Maxdoggy
09-19-2012, 10:02 PM
FM's job is to run his army. He/She can't do that while playing in a game. If you want to be FM you should know ahead of time you wont catch much action on Sundays. If you still just want to play, don't apply for FM.

As Maz said, General is a great spot to both help the community and play pretty regularly.

Who is the "Maz" you speak of? Please don't tell me you've confused me and RaZ! :P

GhostHammer
09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
What are you talking about? I don't see any mistake...