PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P G4

bazongaman502
09-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Just like the title says :c

G4 has been "rebranded". here is the article:

According to a report on Variety, G4 - one of the only TV stations in the world with a "geek" mandate - will be "rebranded" early next year, resulting in a change of focus and possibly a change of name as well.

In other words, it'll be an almost entirely new/different channel.

NBCU, the station's owners, are reportedly looking at turning it into a TV version of GQ, ditching the nerd focus in favour of something more "modern male".

Beginning in 2002 as a purely video game-oriented channel, G4 slowly evolved into a more general "young male tech/geek/game" site, with its most popular shows at the moment being Attack of the Show! - which in recent years lost both its popular hosts, Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn - and American Ninja Warrior.

There's no details on just what a "modern male" rebranding would entail, but I'd bet you could expect a lot more coverage of micro-breweries, indie bands, expensive loafers and designer laptop bags.

Clarification: Variety's report does also indicate that "The guy-centric net is mulling a more sophisticated look while remaining true to its tech and vid game roots." So video games may still have a home there, though in what seems like a very different, less geek-targeted context.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5941222/report-g4-as-we-know-it-is-as-good-as-gone?utm_campaign=socialf low_kotaku_twitter&utm_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Goodbye G4. I remember staying home "sick" from school just to watch you durring the E3 Coverage and other days as well.

MedeDust
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Another Spike tv -_-

- - - Updated - - -

Another Spike tv -_-

Blackhawk570
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
G4 was a joke. I remember when I watched it 90% of the time they played COPS or Cheaters

bazongaman502
09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
G4 was a joke. I remember when I watched it 90% of the time they played COPS or Cheaters

Thats what it eventualy got itself into.. but i watched it for Attack of the Show, Ninja Warrior, Xplay and a few other gaming shows

Another Spike tv -_-

I didnt have Spike tv till last year.. thats why i watched G4

Gargoyle
09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
DirecTV hates G4, didn't have it for long.

Blackhawk570
09-07-2012, 04:03 PM
DirecTV hates G4, didn't have it for long.

Yeah I read up before why G4 wasn't on DirecTv and it is because of some contract dispute.

Graycochea
09-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I have Directv, so I haven't seen G4 in awhile. However, I used to have Dish and when I first started watching G4 it was all reruns of Attack and X-play. Couple years later, Cops and Cheaters arrived and I suddenly didn't mind having Directv. Now I just watch Spike's Gametrailers. I only even watched G4 for Kevin, Olivia, Morgan, and Adam. Around the time Kevin left Olivia was gone and I did some research and found out Adam left too. After that I didn't care about not having G4 quite so much. I don't know anything about whether Morgan is still there.

xXReiBearXx
09-07-2012, 04:57 PM
When G4 first came out it had shows dedicated to video games such as Arena, Filter, Blister,Cinematech, Game On,Sweat, Cheat!, Porta, Pulse, and Judgment Day....G4 basically turned into MTV...They replaced all those great shows with COPS and CHEATERS which had NOTHING to do with video games. Kinda like Jersey Shore and Real world have shit to do with music. If this is what G4 sold out to become I am glad they are going off the air!

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
09-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I lost interest in G4 when they started leaning away from a pure video game channel. Then I got into Ninja Warrior & AOTS. Ninja W was the same stuff over and over, and once AOTS lost Olivia it all went downhill.

P.S. Remember when Olivia Munn was in Playboy? I bought that magazine on my 18th birthday, major dissapointment. If you didn't see it, you didn't miss anything.

zero_swat
09-07-2012, 06:52 PM
i havent been able to watch it for a while so i dont care, damn DirectTv. before that i remember that it was called tech tv. So far the only show that has survived all of the changes was Xplay. and that was once called extended play.

Vestige
09-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Watched it for EP daily, which I think is out of British Colombia.

Guzzie
09-07-2012, 09:41 PM
G4 was alright, Ninja Warrior was awesome, specially the legit one in Japan. Will I miss it? not really.

Al Capone111
09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
G4 was originally for tech geeks, gamers, and nerds in general. All the shows that were once on there fit into one or two of those catergories. X-play is garbage because Adam S is gone and AotS sucks because the original hosts are gone. Don't deny it, Munn and Webb were hot as hell.

When DirectTV dropped G4 i was pissed at first. Now im glad. I dont have to watch the channel linger on like a fart that wont dissipate. You know, the ones that your proud of at first, but after a few you wish it never happened?

Maxdoggy
09-07-2012, 11:01 PM
TBH, I'm not terribly upset. I haven't legitimately watched G4 for anything except for E3 Coverage and for the occasional (and kinda bad) American Ninja Warrior.

Also, I preferred KPereira and Alison Haislip over KP and Munn.

Gargoyle
09-07-2012, 11:10 PM
yep. Normally shows get cancelled after there prime. This can even happen to channels.

I say Normally cuz....well, look at Jersey Shore.

Mi Boys Dinner
09-08-2012, 05:25 PM
>modern male
>instantly think dubstep, hipsters, swag, and yolo

Heads are about to roll. Jimmies are rustled.

zZ Dr K Zz
09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
After 2006 G4 became a shit fest and continued that trend. It used to be a show about games and then it turned into any other boring channel filled with useless crap.

I miss Tech TV and G4 when they were separate, it was a sad day when they merged together :(

I used to watch it for the E3 coverage, but now I just watch livestreams via the internet.

Glad it's gone for good now! GOOD RIDDANCE!