PDA

View Full Version : MJOLNIR GEN2 Thoughts

Coda
09-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I decided to share some of my thoughts on the new generation of the MJOLNIR PAA (Powered Assault Armour)

When I first saw some of the helmets, I thought they all looked ridiculous and stupid. I hated pretty much all of them. Visors are all weird, not the same shape, everything just changed way too much for me. I couldn't handle it. But, now that I've thought about it a bit more, I kind of like it. Some of them I still don't really like. But that was the same with Halo REACH. I didn't like some of the helmets, and won't wear them.

With the Mark VI for example, there's that nice big visor that same look it's always had. With the RECON helmet, there's that much thinner visor. Or if you look at EOD, there's two eye holes (or in reach it's a small visor). All of these helmets are very different. Now, If you look at the new generation, there's still some of that. Same kind of visor. But, there's some really weird ones.
Look at those pictures. The visors are really odd. I really didn't like that at first. But like I said, I've thought about it more. That kind of visor can add a bit of a fear factor to the SPARTAN IVs. It makes it look human, but not quite human. You don't want to fight one of those.

It's the same with that one. Do you really want something like that running up to you with a rifle? Or what if it had this?

It all can make stuff scarier. Imagine being an insurrectionist, hiding behind a barricade with an assault rifle. You get up to return fire. You see that heading straight at you. That could make you wet your pants. It's the same thing while fighting covenant. Even if they're aliens, you're gonna want to scare them a bit. If you read the Halo: Glasslands novel, an elite sees a spartan, and is scared of it because of how strong and fast they are. It's covered in armour. It doesn't even look human anymore. It's almost like a robot. Something you don't expect to fight in war. And it works the same way with this. But this time, it's magnified. The GEN2 armour doesn't even look entirely human anymore. It changes it a bit. I don't like all the helmets, but even the weird ones can be pretty cool.

With these new, Promethean weaponry, and the scarier MJOLNIR PAA, I think it makes the SPARTAN IV program quite successful, even if we don't all like this new armour.

Those are some of my thoughts. What do you guys think about this new armour? Good? Bad? Both?

Gargoyle
09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Customization is suppose to be even bigger than Reach with armor. There's really bound to be a few everyone will gravitate toward.

OPOC1L1PSE
09-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Awww YEAH!!! Cannot wait for that shiz!!!

Juggernaut9473
09-14-2012, 06:20 PM
i like the armor im getting with my xbox =P

Maxdoggy
09-14-2012, 07:12 PM
i like the armor im getting with my xbox =P

Are you a rhinoceros?
Or a unicorn?
Or gay?
:P

Juggernaut9473
09-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Well you do get a unicorn emblem with the preorder console as well...and its been dubed the unicorn armor...but I'm going with the rinho...it looks badass if you ask me

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I loved the Reach armor right from the beginning, the Halo 4 armor I look at is ok but not amazing. But the one thing that bugs me about the new spartans is the stupid huge things on their backs which I think is a jump pack? I don't really know what they are but that's the thing that bugs me the most.

VerbotenDonkey
09-14-2012, 08:28 PM
They still look too much like Power Rangers. I don't know, they look TOO bulky, I like the small, sleek designs from like Halo 3 and Halo 2 better.

zZ Dr K Zz
09-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I miss the armor from Halo 2.

These look to be the worst looking in the series. They don't look like SPARTANS, they look like robots.

Honestly, everytime I see that armor I think it's just a copy/paste off of Vanquish. It just looks silly.

Coda
09-14-2012, 11:28 PM
I agree, they look a bit weird. Very different from what we're all used to. But hey, we could all grow to love em. I say give them a chance. Some actually look pretty cool

Daaaah Whoosh
09-15-2012, 01:55 AM
I just want to say, having three armor colors in Halo 3 did not work, and I do not think having random stripes/splotches all over your armor will work either. The human armor, for me, has always been about a lot of lines and empty space. Kind of like Clint Eastwood: he just stands there, straight as a waterboard, silent as the lambs, but with the power of a brick wall and the scowl of a cornered bear. Now, imagine Clint with a perm and a polka-dotted poncho, and that's what I think of the new Halo armor.

What I'm trying to say is that it's still kind of awesome, but it's also really gay, and not what I was hoping for.

SuRroundeD By 1
09-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Update, people who have played the game say that the armor looks much better in-game than they do in the screen captures we've been given.

But I haven't played the game myself yet and I don't really know. Just what some people have been saying on the Waypoint forums.

Choca Cola
09-15-2012, 02:02 PM
They still look too much like Power Rangers. I don't know, they look TOO bulky, I like the small, sleek designs from like Halo 3 and Halo 2 better.

To me not Power Rangers, but Bionicles if anyone remembers those.

Gargoyle
09-15-2012, 02:31 PM
I can see the part about Bionicles.

Like I said though, there's BOUND to be at least one helmet that someone will like. Especially if they have attachments like in Reach. I know some of the attachments in Reach drastically changed some helmets, so we'll see I guess.

Coda
09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
I can see the part about Bionicles.

Like I said though, there's BOUND to be at least one helmet that someone will like. Especially if they have attachments like in Reach. I know some of the attachments in Reach drastically changed some helmets, so we'll see I guess.

I agree. There will be some that people love. But it'll take some time to get used to the different kind of armour.

Dr Gusta
09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
I don't think armor will effect my gameplay so I don't care about them. How my spartan looks won't change the outcome of a match.

Nocte
09-16-2012, 11:52 AM
The packs on their backs are their shielding units, but if it looks even bigger then that I think it's the thruster pack. Either way 343 already said they were making the Spartans bigger looking. If you read the books the descriptions of Spartans in their armor makes it seem like that are FUCKING HUGE! So 343 really wants to portray that in Halo 4.

I like the Gen II armor looks badass, much more customization, which means you feel like a Spartan.

Coda
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM

I thought this helmet looked like one of the weird ones.. But I actually really like this one. What do you guys think?

Maxdoggy
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM

I thought this helmet looked like one of the weird ones.. But I actually really like this one. What do you guys think?

It looks exactly like CQB from Halo 3 but with three lights in the middle instead of a visor.

Coda
09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
It looks exactly like CQB from Halo 3 but with three lights in the middle instead of a visor.

There are some similarities, of course, but I have to disagree with your statement. All helmets will have some similarities to each other. Size, shape, features, etc. But I don't think it looks notably like CQB. I am interested on what you think looks so similar about the helmet. Perhaps you could even change my opinion on the helmet. Care to give some more information?

VerbotenDonkey
09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Reminded me of something from Mass Effect.