PDA

View Full Version : News about 'Dominion mode'

SuRroundeD By 1
09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Alright guys, so there was some talk about it back in the Halo 4 thread, but I wanted to just . . . get some more details out there for those who don't know.

Dominion, is a team based objective game, at the moment I don't know if teams will be limited in the mode. In the video's I've seen, they've been playing 4v4, although I hope it's also included for 8v8.

Dominion is 'in its roots' territories . . . except with the added bonus of a few layers of bad-assery. Imagine if Chuck Norris and Mr. T fused together . . . that's about what Dominion looks like.

There are a few major things that separate basic Territories and Dominion, first of all, territories seemed to be located inside buildings, or happen to be the buildings themselves. Also, the basic capturing technique of sitting inside the hill, no longer works, players have to move to a static capture point and manually capture the base (for default controls, holding the X button). The 'capturing' takes about 2-4 seconds; however, it takes about 10-15 seconds to 'fully' capture a base, at one point it will begin to raise its defenses (turrets, weapons, vehicles, etc). Each team gets points for holding objectives; however, the match can be ended early if one team holds all of the capture points. Let's say, Red team fully captures all of the objectives, all of Blue team goes into 'last stand'. Which basically means one life, and they have their one life to try and capture another base, so . . . if Blue team captures another base, the match goes on.

Another thing that's pretty interesting about Dominion, is that you can actually 'place' vehicles and turrets. The option to set them will appear as a glowing hologram, and players can walk up to the hologram, press the 'enter' button and the vehicle will immediately spawn and the player will instantly board it. Another interesting fact, is that when a player captures an enemy base, they will be 'trapped' by a (I'm assuming one way) shield barrier and have to wait for the base to become 'fully' controlled by their team in order to leave.

Now . . . for speculation.

As of right now, we don't know how customizable the game mode will be, whether or not the capture points are static or adjustable, whether or not we can place the vehicle and turret spawns, but I'm assuming we can. But imagine how awesome it would be if we could place them? Imagine a map where there are two large bases or 'castles' and each team spawns in one. There is unlimited time and no life limit so literally, the game goes on until one team captures the other teams base, and eliminates the remaining players. I can already imagine playing with all the chaos that would ensue >:)

Oh and . . . this isn't confirmed . . . but I'm about 80% sure that Dominion is Invasions replacement . . . so yeah!

I'm going to post a few videos here which basically go over what I've said, but they still look cool, so here we go:

Halo4Followers take on Dominion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCKfEbiF6E&feature=g-all-u

Some Dominion on Longbow strategy courtesy of Bravo (although for some reason I couldn't find it on his channel . . .):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUsuAq6QL9c

Last video so it doesn't take hours to load each one . . . original gameplay on Dominion with (most likely) final sound effects and graphics (except the medals still aren't in place yet . . . I don't think I saw any that is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0YVBgWuVk

VerbotenDonkey
09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
It always seemed to me that this mode would be best for 8v8. :I Really hope it's 8v8 in matchmaking.

Coda
09-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I hope they have 8v8, but this kind of thing would be such a great thing for FC. I'm really looking forward to it

VerbotenDonkey
09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aoJMAMR038

Here's the whole video from the Longbow game. It's the first video I saw about Dominion.

It does kind of irk me though how many power weapons we're seeing. There were like 3 open power weapons outside of the bases, plus each of the bases gets outfitted with power weapon drops inside as well .... too many in my opinion. Everyones just gonna be running around with Rockets.

SuRroundeD By 1
09-24-2012, 04:37 PM
It always seemed to me that this mode would be best for 8v8. :I Really hope it's 8v8 in matchmaking.

I'm sure it will be, and about the power weapons, most of the time I only saw one rocket, one sniper, and two SAW's during most of the Longbow gameplay, so it didn't seem too bad to me, but we'll see at release. They might have just been trying to get the people playing to test out a lot of the weapons and features ya know.

The one thing I'm worried about is 8v8 in all of Halo 4. 343i said that they were releasing Exile as a BTB map, but at PAX, all the gameplay was 5v5, and if we can play a BTB map with six people less than we usually would, I'm afraid that the maps will be too small you know? So far, two of the forge world environments have been released, and they look big, also, Exile, Longbow, and the map remake to be announced are all going to be BTB worthy . . . so I'm getting a little worried about that since the only map that looked large enough for BTB was the Forge Environment released at RTX.

But we'll see.