PDA

View Full Version : Career goals?

Anarchy
10-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Just curious as to some of our FC members and their career aspirations. More or less, what kind of job to you hope to get out of college/high school/technical school/military/what have you?

I feel like we know little about each other on a personal-professional level, and for a lot of you, I'm truly curious about what you guys want to do for a living. It's interesting to see what people want to do, then compare that with how they work in FC and debates.

VerbotenDonkey
10-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Physician's Assistant, working anything Hospital related. I've always wanted to work in a Hospital since I was little. Making my dream come true!

Anarchy
10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Physician's Assistant, working anything Hospital related. I've always wanted to work in a Hospital since I was little. Making my dream come true!

Being someone from what could be considered the complete other side of the career spectrum, how does that contrast with being a nurse? Not calling you a nurse or anything, I just know nothing xD.

VerbotenDonkey
10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Being someone from what could be considered the complete other side of the career spectrum, how does that contrast with being a nurse? Not calling you a nurse or anything, I just know nothing xD.

Physician's Assistant are now pretty much becoming your typical "doctors." We see the patients first, take diagnosis', etc. Then we consult with the Doctor with all the information and the Doctor sees the patient himself, if there is an issue going on. Nurses are more like the physical treaters, they do most the physical work, like inserting IVs, transporting patients around, etc. If you've ever heard of a Nurse Practitioner, it's basically the same thing as a Physician's Assistant, it's when a nurse goes back and does like another 2 years of schooling or so.

PAs come about after Vietnam when a bunch of Medics came back with no job experience. Now, PAs are slowly taking the traditional role of Doctors, and can even have their own practice, under the supervision of a Doctor. Also, we can prescribe medicine, unlike nurses, among a few other things.

Also PAs come out making ~70 - 80k and Nurses make ~40 - 50 or so xD

MedeDust
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Pro Gamer

Blackhawk570
10-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Pro Stripper. And one of my goals is to develop a relationship with each member of this community by any means necessary

GhostHammer
10-18-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm leaving for Military University next September, then I'll do 4 years studying military strategic studies and graduate as a Lieutenant. Once that happens I deploy for 6 months to gain experience, serve a couple years. Then I'm being tracked into our SF Areas to work as an Officer leading platoons there. Progress my way up and eventually get towards Canadian Special Operations Command and the like.

So basically, the Canadian version of what I was doing as FM down the road.

Coda
10-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Behavioral Psychology. But I'm also just 16 right now. So, it could change. But that's what I've wanted to be for years... so, I don't see me changing my mind

KazuhLLL
10-18-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm currently majoring in Software Engineering. Hoping to become involved in video games somehow, but if not I'd like to do something with operating systems.

Vestige
10-19-2012, 12:01 AM
I want to race cars. I am in the first process of starting, saving. Then comes upgrades, engine modifications, this, and that. I have to work for 2 years at my current employer. By then I will have put enough money into it, including have bought the car [Honda S2K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000)] this up coming spring. Then go look for legit track races.

JonOU812
10-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Honestly I have no fucking idea. I change my career interest practically everyday. It seriously pisses me off.

Silko
10-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Lawyer or a history teacher still split between the two

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-19-2012, 03:17 AM
@ Silko, I can totally see you as a lawyer.

I plan on becoming a Clinical Psychologist, pretty similar to Coda. I have a ways to go and I'm not very far. But I've completely enjoyed every Psych class I've taken at my community college.

bazongaman502
10-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Disk Jockey. Already a DJ at my radio station

ThatRussianBear
10-19-2012, 06:54 AM
System architect but I'm not too sure I'll like it

ItsGettingMessi
10-19-2012, 06:58 AM
i myself have wanted to be a pathologist for quiet a few years now, its kinda like a doctor who only studies bacteria and works in a lab most the day.

Anarchy
10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm currently majoring in Software Engineering. Hoping to become involved in video games somehow, but if not I'd like to do something with operating systems.

That's exactly what my roommate is doing. Software engineers do quite well.

Lawyer or a history teacher still split between the two

Lol, yehsus wants to be a history teacher. It'd be funny to see you two co-teach a class xD.

I want to go into public accounting, specifically audit, at one of the "big 4" accounting firms.
If you work at one of those places for 2-3 years, and get your CPA, you start getting magical calls from headhunters in different industries for finance/accounting positions.

Honestly, I've never understood the appeal so many people have towards psychology... No offense >_>

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
10-19-2012, 10:05 AM
I enjoy the concept of understanding the way other people think. Mostly I enjoy relating it to my family/friends. But I suppose in the career field I'd have to work with complete strangers.

It's a cool subject for me is all.

Maxdoggy
10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Business, with a concentration in Finance.

I will then climb the ladder to the top of many organizations and accrue vast amounts of money.

Then, I shall run for President and have Mythonian be my running mate or be a member of my Cabinet.

After that? World domination, etc... Lol. J/k. :P

Legit
10-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Currently applying to an internship for the summer at GE Aviation, my uncle works there and i hope to work in the heat transfer department. Basically working with engines of planes and such.

LocoCrazy
10-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Meet up with Timpon Carpet and punch him in his ugly ass sucking fucking face. Then I could die right then knowing I lived a very satisfied life.

MedeDust
10-19-2012, 04:00 PM
K I guess ill post something more serious.

I'm majoring in Game art & Design so obviously I'm heading in that direction.

I'd probably lean more toward environment or story board.

Blackhawk570
10-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Meet up with Timpon Carpet and penetrate him in his ugly ass. Then I could die right then knowing I lived a very satisfied life.

Fixed

Spartanbh
10-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Sports Management, hopefully someone decent in the hockey world. #1 dream job is an NHL General Manager, but I'd take pretty much any job right now that can get me in the industry.

Juggernaut9473
10-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Spartan, you should be the Zamboni Guy

Rayven Feather
10-19-2012, 04:43 PM
I want to be a Veterinarian, been wanting to since I can remember :), but I'm also planning on going to college for music because I love it and because I'm pretty kickass at the trumpet ;)

JigokuNoNinja15
10-19-2012, 04:43 PM
K I guess ill post something more serious.

I'm majoring in Game art & Design so obviously I'm heading in that direction.

I'd probably lean more toward environment or story board.

Joel, I thought you said that you were star running back for USC, what happened to playing in the NFL? lol

As for me, I'm currently undecided in major, but I may be either Music Performance: Classical Piano, AET, Music Business, Law, or Asian Studies. I'd like to get a Doctorates in music and teach in a university, or perhaps become a politician. Dream job would be to teach english as a second language in an Asian country.

JigokuNoNinja15
10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I want to be a Veterinarian, been wanting to since I can remember :), but I'm also planning on going to college for music because I love it and because I'm pretty kickass at the trumpet ;)
Sorry to double post but... (SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION ALERT)
Totes check out my university, Belmont University. We have a fantastic music program, and our music business program is critically acclaimed. Just saying, if you're serious about music, this is your school. http://belmont.edu

MedeDust
10-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Joel, I thought you said that you were star running back for USC, what happened to playing in the NFL? lol

As for me, I'm currently undecided in major, but I may be either Music Performance: Classical Piano, AET, Music Business, Law, or Asian Studies. I'd like to get a Doctorates in music and teach in a university, or perhaps become a politician. Dream job would be to teach english as a second language in an Asian country.

They found my drugs so I got kicked out:(

Blackhawk570
10-19-2012, 05:16 PM

You can teach me Engrish

Juggernaut9473
10-19-2012, 05:20 PM
You can teach me Engrish

your a lost cause =P

Silko
10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
you should be the Zamboni Guy

Isn't this like every Canadian's wet dream?

Nicholas Sapien
10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Military Intelligence Officer

H2O Yordle
10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I want to commit murder in the major third degree.

Ex Zen Mute
10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Computer/Network Support/Security.

Current Education
AAS: Computer/Network Security
BS: Information Technology

Past Jobs
IT Intern
Network Support Services Student Worker

Current Job
Kohl's Associate (... Yeah, I don't care much for it either, still job hunting)

- - - Updated - - -

your a lost cause =P
So are you since you used the wrong your/you're.

LocoCrazy
10-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Isn't this like every Canadian's wet dream?

You Muricans got it all wrong. I wont spoil what it really is but here a clue. It involves a scalpel and a bag of rice.

Juggernaut9473
10-19-2012, 06:35 PM

freaking grammar nazi <_<

Anarchy
10-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Computer/Network Support/Security.

Current Education
AAS: Computer/Network Security
BS: Information Technology

Past Jobs
IT Intern
Network Support Services Student Worker

Current Job
Kohl's Associate (... Yeah, I don't care much for it either, still job hunting)

- - - Updated - - -

Of all the people to have a college degree in FC, it's you.

May god help us.

Regardless, that's impressive. Grats on being out of school x.x

EriRi 1138
10-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Sorry to double post but... (SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION ALERT)
Totes check out my university, Belmont University. We have a fantastic music program, and our music business program is critically acclaimed. Just saying, if you're serious about music, this is your school. http://belmont.edu

The University of North Texas' College of Music is pretty goddamn spectacular as well. I hear there is a 100% chance of music education majors nailing a job the summer after they graduate, and our marching band, the Green Brigade, was named the best marching band in the nation last year.

That being said, the College of Visual Arts and Design at UNT is also famous for its success and popularity amongst many design firms today. I could be wrong, but I think I heard that the new Windows logo was designed by alumni of CVAD here at UNT.

I'm currently working on a BFA in Communication Design, which is graphic art & design. I'm putting the skills I've developed over the past few years doing GFX here on the forums to the test, and so far, I love the program a ton. I feel right at home, and right where I want to be with my life. Someday, preferably, I will be working in a graphic design firm, or leading the firm with an Art Director position.

JigokuNoNinja15
10-19-2012, 08:13 PM
The University of North Texas' College of Music is pretty goddamn spectacular as well. I hear there is a 100% chance of music education majors nailing a job the summer after they graduate, and our marching band, the Green Brigade, was named the best marching band in the nation last year.

That being said, the College of Visual Arts and Design at UNT is also famous for its success and popularity amongst many design firms today. I could be wrong, but I think I heard that the new Windows logo was designed by alumni of CVAD here at UNT.

I'm currently working on a BFA in Communication Design, which is graphic art & design. I'm putting the skills I've developed over the past few years doing GFX here on the forums to the test, and so far, I love the program a ton. I feel right at home, and right where I want to be with my life. Someday, preferably, I will be working in a graphic design firm, or leading the firm with an Art Director position.

<3

Lol its James
10-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Art/graphics/animation- hobby

Police officer-job trying to