PDA

View Full Version : Controller Configurations Debate

PhoenixPrime
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Here are some selections that Neighbor, from MLG, scrolled through in his play of Halo 4. The controller setup is going to be a bit different from recent iterations of Halo, because Sprint is a native aspect of player movement, and must be bound to a button.

Here is the link (http://halo4nation.com/news/all-controller-configurations/)

I will likely play with the Green Thumb configuration, since it has the Fire Button and Zoom button closely linked together. The armor ability is right where it was in Reach, so no difference there. Reload is the same as the old Halos. And Sprint is linked to the Movement Stick, which makes one stick in charge of all aspects of moving the Spartan. I like having melee linked to the Look Stick as it helps orient the player for melee strikes, which is a key aspect of Halo.

All of the three main actions of Halo are linked to where the fingers are positioned by default. Reloading is second nature at the X button, and I can probably get used to pressing B for crouch, or linking the button to a custom button at the bottom of the controller. I think with this configuration, I'll have the best reaction time in engagements, once I master the orientation of the buttons.

What configuration would you guys use, and why?

Ex Zen Mute
11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Either Bumper Jumper or Recon.

I'm used to Bumper Jumper, but for what god forsaken reason did they swap AA and Grenade locations like that?
X to toss a grenade? How does that make sense?

Guess I will be relying more on AA movement and aiming at the same time.

VerbotenDonkey
11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Whatever they give me to start. I usually just roll with whatever the default is and get used to it.

Juggernaut9473
11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
i have always used the default, so i will stick with it

Silko
11-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I'll be useing Recon again. My only concern with Recon is not being about to steer as well while sprinting but I'm sure I can find a way with my massive hands

PhoenixPrime
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
i have always used the default, so i will stick with it

With the way that FC plays, and the way that competitive multiplayer works out, precision grenade throwing is a key aspect to Halo. That's why I'd prefer the grenade button not be a face button on the controller.

I'll be useing Recon again. My only concern with Recon is not being about to steer as well while sprinting but I'm sure I can find a way with my massive hands

Possibly, though from what I've seen, moving precisely while sprinting to cover usually determines whether or not the player can disengage from an opponent. All the streams and vids I've have led me to believe that sprint, as a movement mechanic, is very useful when teams choose to converge on targets.

KazuhLLL
11-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Ugh, if Bumper Jumper switched LT and X, I would use it for sure, but as it is none of them seem like they'll feel "right".

I'll probably end up using Green Thumb, unless there's toggle sprint, in which case I'd use Recon.

Maxdoggy
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Ugh, if Bumper Jumper switched LT and X, I would use it for sure, but as it is none of them seem like they'll feel "right".

I'll probably end up using Green Thumb, unless there's toggle sprint, in which case I'd use Recon.

I concur. However, I'm more of a default guy. I was looking at using Bumper Jumper but that configuration is kinda stupid.

GhostHammer
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
To be honest I don't like any of them... I'll have to try them out in Campaign and get a feel for what works best.

Rayven Feather
11-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Bump jump for me :)

KazuhLLL
11-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I concur. However, I'm more of a default guy. I was looking at using Bumper Jumper but that configuration is kinda stupid.

They actually did switch Bumper Jumper's LT and X buttons!

Here's a screenshot taken from BravoMLG's most recent video:
http://i.imgur.com/syinR.png