PDA

View Full Version : Website Upgrade 11/2/12

Metkil5685
11-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Well folks, the website maintenance and upgrade is complete!

You may have already seen what we have changed.

On behalf of the website development team, aka Mythonian, Mededust, and myself, we are proud to present our latest piece of work. A brand new skin! This skin you are viewing is called "FC Socialize." We hope you all enjoy it!

Cheers!

Mythonian
11-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Disclaimer: Work in progress.

We had to shelf a few things due to time or other issues. Got a number of additional features and things planned to be added in over the next few days.

We are always open to suggestions and everything!

GhostHammer
11-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Looking good guys! Great update! :D

Graycochea
11-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Freakin' SEXY. I love it. Just sayin' I-LOVE-IT.

Coda
11-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Love it. Skin is a bit laggier for me... But it's purdy ^_^ loved the live stream. You should do that more often :D

Mythonian
11-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Love it. Skin is a bit laggier for me... But it's purdy ^_^ loved the live stream. You should do that more often :D

We'll be optimizing it and such in the near future.

We'll definitely be doing a lot more streaming in the future.

Silko
11-02-2012, 01:04 AM
I had to change it to the new skin it didn't go to it by default. Just a FYI

Graycochea
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
That's cause it's still being updated.
@Silko

Boneill1621
11-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Great work. Appreciate all y'all do.

Mythonian
11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Updated the Banner and backdrop for the November theme.

We're going to be starting to use themes based on the seasons or holidays, etc. to keep the site looking fresh and everything.

Big thanks to Mededust for making the graphics!

Vestige
11-02-2012, 02:21 AM
*cough* new Vcash system?

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 02:29 AM
You don't get vcash.

zZ Dr K Zz
11-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Awesome job guys! Thanks for all of your hard work!

It looks great! And I like the seasonal changes, very cool idea :)

<<<<< Love the new userbars as well! :-D

bazongaman502
11-02-2012, 04:18 AM
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t431/wraith06/puking-rainbows-meme-rage-face.jpg

Graycochea
11-02-2012, 04:19 AM
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t431/wraith06/puking-rainbows-meme-rage-face.jpg

I second this motion.

RaZ Vader
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Well Done! I also like the festive Spartans. Oh Mededust.. btw I love my new Access Card, although i miss the big FC Emblem too. <3 Proud of everyone who had a part in this.

Thank You, it looks amazing

Maxdoggy
11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Seen this before. Nothing special.

Lol. J/k.

Thanks, Web Design Team!
(And the Mexican help they hired to get some of the work done!)

Choca Cola
11-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Awesome job tunnel snakes! Looking forward to more as well.

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Rank Specific User bars? :(

Didn't see much yet cause Im mobile and off to class but I'm exploding with happiness at how awesome all this stuff is. Wonderful job guys and Mededust is a hero.

Nocte
11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Holy new gorgeous layout!

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Seen this before. Nothing special.

Lol. J/k.

Thanks, Web Design Team!
(And the Mexican help they hired to get some of the work done!)

HHahaha this made my morning!

Fuzzy
11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
For a Mexican, Mede makes some good graphics...

Deathhawk
11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I love the skin! It looks like an updated version of what it used to be, which is always welcome. I'm always nervous about changes but this seems good!

Only critisizms I have is that.. there needs to be a (maybe 60% opaque) box around the login/regster parts at the top of the page. It's kinda a clusterfuck with the leaves and stuff. Box(es) would clean that up. The whole top portion is actually a bit messy, there's a lot going on. With the ads, user info, and the leaves flying everywhere, banner, etc... it's a lot to process and doesn't look very sleek.

The other thing.. WHY ARE LETTERS NOT UNIFORM ON USERBARS?!?!?!
Why does it say "ENLiStEd"?

Personally I hate the shit out of that, it didn't look good in the '90s, it doesn't look
KEEP ALL THE LETTERS UNIFORM. It's annoying as shit to read and look at.

Sorry Mede, all the other graphics look awesome, the userbars are cool too, I appreciate you making all the graphics, but capitalizing letters selectively just looks like it's some pre-teen's selfie they put on myspace in the 90's with some gay text about "HoW WeRe BeSttt FRieNdz 4 LyFee & nO 1 caN sePeRatE us!"

It's just a golden rule for design in my eyes.

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Well Done! I also like the festive Spartans. Oh Mededust.. btw I love my new Access Card, although i miss the big FC Emblem too. <3 Proud of everyone who had a part in this.

Thank You, it looks amazing I can adjust that.

Rank Specific User bars? :(

Didn't see much yet cause Im mobile and off to class but I'm exploding with happiness at how awesome all this stuff is. Wonderful job guys and Mededust is a hero. I did them as requested. I can possibly work on UB for signatures but each army has different ranks if im not mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the skin! It looks like an updated version of what it used to be, which is always welcome. I'm always nervous about changes but this seems good!

Only critisizms I have is that.. there needs to be a (maybe 60% opaque) box around the login/regster parts at the top of the page. It's kinda a clusterfuck with the leaves and stuff. Box(es) would clean that up. The whole top portion is actually a bit messy, there's a lot going on. With the ads, user info, and the leaves flying everywhere, boxes, etc... it's a lot to process and doesn't look very sleek.

The other thing.. WHY ARE LETTERS NOT UNIFORM ON USERBARS?!?!?!
Why does it say "ENLiStEd"?

Personally I hate the shit out of that, it didn't look good in the '90s, it doesn't look good and it never will.
KEEP ALL THE LETTERS UNIFORM. It's annoying as shit to read and look at.

Sorry MeDe, all the other graphics look awesome, the userbars are cool too, I appreciate you making all the graphics, but capitalizing letters selectively just looks like it's some pre-teen's selfie they put on myspace in the 90's with some gay text about "HoW WeRe BeSttt FRieNdz 4 LyFee & nO 1 caN sePeRatE us!"

It's just a golden rule for design in my eyes.

ahh it's the font it does that automatically. I was trying to find a decent font, its very hard, since I lost everything, to preview all fonts to have more choices. This was the best I could do at the time, but I can find something better. There's some adjustments I need to make anyways.

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, don't worry about it haha. I actually kind of think the system we have now is fine with the Enlisted, Officer, etc, I just remember when there was the push for Rank Specific, don't remember the out-turn of that though. I just remember we said "wait until halo 4" xD But I'm pretty sure REDD/BLUE have the same ranks.

Didn't notice the capitalization issue until now, I agree with DeathHawk though, that is quite annoying >_> Makes us seem like we're all 10 year old 90's kids haha. Also, not sure what's going on with the little line down the side of the userbar and theres stuff written on the left hand side? I can see it clearly in the BLUE Enlisted userbar, can't read what it says though. (Just a small thing, I think it would be cool if REDD Enlisted userbar Spartans had the Enforcer Helmet on :P Not a big issue thoug haha)

Also, just a note, using this skin with Mobile and using the "New/Today's Posts", you can't click on the little number that takes you right to the page, you can only click on the thread titles.

Anarchy
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah, don't worry about it haha. I actually kind of think the system we have now is fine with the Enlisted, Officer, etc, I just remember when there was the push for Rank Specific, don't remember the out-turn of that though. I just remember we said "wait until halo 4" xD But I'm pretty sure REDD/BLUE have the same ranks.

The turnout was that we would have them come Halo 4.

The fact that we ignored that makes me angry... But it does look good.

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
The turnout was that we would have them come Halo 4.

The fact that we ignored that makes me angry... But it does look good.

Well, maybe we can experiment with Rank Specific, only if Mededust wants to remake new ones though >_> It's a lot of work haha. I wouldn't complain if we did, cause I was all for it.

Also, this skin doesn't load on my Laptop either. The stars background does, but the new banner and seasonal background does not. I only knew about it cause after class when I opened my browser, I noticed it had completely loaded. So it just takes awhile.

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I am a 90's kid!

And you mean where it says Access? Yeah I'm working on that.

If you miss rank specific the last ones are still here (http://fcwars.net/forums/album.php?albumid=28)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, maybe we can experiment with Rank Specific, only if Mededust wants to remake new ones though >_> It's a lot of work haha. I wouldn't complain if we did, cause I was all for it.

Also, this skin doesn't load on my Laptop either. The stars background does, but the new banner and seasonal background does not. I only knew about it cause after class when I opened my browser, I noticed it had completely loaded. So it just takes awhile.
Get a better phone!

Anarchy
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

To "experiment" with it would require we have mede make them all. That's an extra 30 or so images. It's more organized, and it works a lot better in keeping things together. But it's probably way too late at this point, lmao.

The skin took like 3 minutes to finally load on my computer. xD.

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I am a 90's kid!

And you mean where it says Access? Yeah I'm working on that.

If you miss rank specific the last ones are still here (http://fcwars.net/forums/album.php?albumid=28)

- - - Updated - - -

Get a better phone!

Is it suppose to say access on the left side of our user bars? O.o

And it's my Laptop too, not just my phone xD And yes, I am using Fire Fox.

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Google Chrome Windows 7, And Galaxy s3. The faster the better, it's allot to load but I think if your cookies are turned on it loads faster after a while, i think.

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Chrome is barely faster on my Laptop, and it doesn't have the customability that Fire Fox has.

Also, just something I just noticed, I kinda dislike how the Faction Userbars are all tinted the same color. When you're quickly browsing, it doesn't catch my eye about a change in Rank unless you really look, cause they're all the same color. Like before, the Officer and Enlisted userbars were different, so it caught your eye. Now they're all the same tint. Just something small.

Fateless Wolf
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM
likeing the new rank pic have to check out that skin i havnt a different one on but great job

Vestige
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Honestly I prefer the user bars as ranks. Besides the user bars the website looks great and a good job to all; but still where is the new Vcash system?

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Honestly I prefer the user bars as ranks. Besides the user bars the website looks great and a good job to all; but still where is the new Vcash system?

There's a lot of stuff that hasn't been introduced yet. :)

silversleek
11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Eh, i have to say, i'm not too fond of the new skin. I think i'm going to stick with underground.

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Eh, i have to say, i'm not too fond of the new skin. I think i'm going to stick with underground.

The skin? Or the images? The skin is almost the same.

silversleek
11-02-2012, 04:39 PM
well, images i guess. maybe? not sure exactly what you mean.

Maxdoggy
11-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Mede is talking about the skin being the grey areas we type on and see posts. The forum layout, etc.

The images are the banner, header, backgrounds, etc.

GhostHammer
11-02-2012, 05:23 PM
There's a lot of stuff that hasn't been introduced yet. :)

I have to wait until Halo 4 to release my suprise to non WC members :/

Speaking of which, all WC members hopefully are reading everything and sending input...

VerbotenDonkey
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Is there any way to include the "Forerunner Conflict" thing to be included scaling up and down the sides of the forum like the previous one had, along with the various ships in the background? That'd be neat.

KazuhLLL
11-02-2012, 06:13 PM
My only complaint is that the register button says "Click Here 2 Register!" rather than "Click Here to Register!"... :P

Other than that, great work, guys! :)

MedeDust
11-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I like how suggestions are thrown out, after things are released. Anyways, I'll be modifying allot of things, each month is different so yeah.

Deathhawk
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
DeathHawk

Speaking of my issues with capitalization...

It's "Deathhawk" for a reason lol

Mythonian
11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
As I said earlier:

Disclaimer: Work in progress.

We had to shelf a few things due to time or other issues. Got a number of additional features and things planned to be added in over the next few days.

*cough* new Vcash system?
Coming soon.

Only critisizms I have is that.. there needs to be a (maybe 60% opaque) box around the login/regster parts at the top of the page.
Metkil told me the same thing yesterday during the livestream. It's set up in our super-secret test skin, but I haven't transferred it over yet. Will do that shortly.

I actually kind of think the system we have now is fine with the Enlisted, Officer, etc, I just remember when there was the push for Rank Specific, don't remember the out-turn of that though. I just remember we said "wait until halo 4" xD But I'm pretty sure REDD/BLUE have the same ranks. That's one of the things we had to shelf.

First of all, finding enough unique Halo 4 screenshots with different looking Spartans was difficult just to get the few usergroups we are using at the moment. Reach had a Beta, so we were fine then, but with H4 we can only do so much before the game launches.

Also, we've got to go through and get Mede to make the images, set back up all the usergroups themselves, attach the images, fix permissions, etc., which all takes a lot of time (and honestly is far from our top priority at the moment).

So it won't happen before the Beta War, but it may happen between then and the first real war in January.

Also, just a note, using this skin with Mobile and using the "New/Today's Posts", you can't click on the little number that takes you right to the page, you can only click on the thread titles.

1) This skin is far from optimized at the moment. A lot of things will be adjusted and fine-tuned to improve loading times and functionality.

2) This skin will not be optimized for mobile browsers.

3) We are working on a mobile skin that will be optimized for mobile, but it's not a high priority and likely won't happen for awhile. I recommend using the default vBulletin mobile skin for the moment until we get it set up, though.

That should be fixed once I optimize some things and reduce the cache size required. The reason it wouldn't load is probably because the image cache put the website cache beyond the limit your browser had preset, so it wasn't loaded.

The skin took like 3 minutes to finally load on my computer. xD.
Should be fixed once things are optimized, but for the moment we had to rush some things to get it out.

My only complaint is that the register button says "Click Here 2 Register!" rather than "Click Here to Register!"... :P
That was one of the first things I noticed when we originally decided to use this skin, and I had totally forgotten to change that. That will be changed either tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I find time. xD