PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILERS*: Halo 4 Campaign Discussion

Maxdoggy
11-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Warning: If for some reason you clicked this thread and did NOT want to have the story spoiled for you, abort right now! Run!!

Why Cortana, why????

Seriously though, I thought Halsey was on the Infinity in the Engineering deck (according to The Thursday War). So why did we just go through this campaign when we could've just left Cortana on the Infinity while MC saved the day??

GhostHammer
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Warning: If for some reason you clicked this thread and did NOT want to have the story spoiled for you, abort right now! Run!!

Why Cortana, why????

Seriously though, I thought Halsey was on the Infinity in the Engineering deck (according to The Thursday War). So why did we just go through this campaign when we could've just left Cortana on the Infinity while MC saved the day??

Did you play the game? Del Rio was going to decommission her...

Maxdoggy
11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I know that, but I didn't know that they booted her off-ship after their rendezvous on Sanghelios.
(I could have missed something in Thursday War, as I sped-read it over two days.)

Nocte
11-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Thursday War and Halo 4 are four years apart, Halsey could have very easily been removed from the ship when she was finished.

But when Chief stood up to Del Rio. I was like fuck you Del Rio! Paranagosky didn't want you as CO anyway!

Anyways I cried when Cortana did what she did, but ya know what Chief is still alive and the Didact is still out there!

Graycochea
11-07-2012, 12:49 AM
But when Chief stood up to Del Rio...

I honestly thought when he made the crack about MC being old and Cortana being crazy, MC was going to choke him out. I wanted to see that so bad. Lasky = wonderful new supporting character who isn't a caricature of Johnson, J Keyes, or M Keyes.

Also, @Maxdoggy there's one more book in the Kilo-Five Trilogy and one more in the Forerunner Saga.

Hopefully, the new Forerunner one will explain why the Didact hates humanity so much now. Of course, he isn't the Didact. He's probably the Bornstellar Didact, in which case he could have developed his own opinions of Humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways I cried when Cortana did what she did...

What exactly did she do? Split herself up so much that she couldn't be put back together?

Silko
11-07-2012, 04:41 AM
What exactly did she do? Split herself up so much that she couldn't be put back together?

Well she did that and that caused her to lose much of her. Thus leaving her with only enough power and control to save Chief. I think they are going to give the Chief new armor come Halo 5. Seeing as he took off his armor at the end. My big question is will he be leading the new spartan squads or will he still be that lone wolf he has become. After all MC is a natural born leader.

Nocte
11-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Hopefully, the new Forerunner one will explain why the Didact hates humanity so much now. Of course, he isn't the Didact. He's probably the Bornstellar Didact, in which case he could have developed his own opinions of Humanity.

We know why the Didact hates humanity, he has from the beginning of Cryptum. For all we know Bornstellar isn't even the Didact.

Andimion most of you know him some of you don't, he's an older member. Has the theory that the more powerful Forerunner's transfer themselves into another Forerunner to have eternal life. Which is why Bornstellar as the Didact still hates humanity, he isn't Bornstellar anymore. He is the Didact just as the previous Forerunner was before etc.....

Seeing as he took off his armor at the end. My big question is will he be leading the new spartan squads or will he still be that lone wolf he has become. After all MC is a natural born leader.

That doesn't mean anything he was just taking off because he can finally do that. The last time he did that it was 5 years ago!

Fiery Grave
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
My big question is will he be leading the new spartan squads or will he still be that lone wolf he has become. After all MC is a natural born leader.

If he is he will probbably end up becoming a spartan 4 like the last of the remaining SII's did before him

Nocte
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
If he is he will probbably end up becoming a spartan 4 like the last of the remaining SII's did before him

They never became Spartan IV's. They just started training them.

Al Capone111
11-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Thursday War and Halo 4 are four years apart, Halsey could have very easily been removed from the ship when she was finished.

That's what I was thinking.

Also, @Maxdoggy there's one more book in the Kilo-Five Trilogy and one more in the Forerunner Saga.

We know why the Didact hates humanity, he has from the beginning of Cryptum. For all we know Bornstellar isn't even the Didact.

Andimion most of you know him some of you don't, he's an older member. Has the theory that the more powerful Forerunner's transfer themselves into another Forerunner to have eternal life. Which is why Bornstellar as the Didact still hates humanity, he isn't Bornstellar anymore. He is the Didact just as the previous Forerunner was before etc.....

That doesn't mean anything he was just taking off because he can finally do that. The last time he did that it was 5 years ago!

But after the events of Cryptum and Primordium the Didact and the Bornstellar/Didact don't hate humanity. So could it be another Forerunner that Didact put his imprint on before the events of Cryptum?

Fiery Grave
11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
They never became Spartan IV's. They just started training them.

they were fased into the spartan 4 program and are now classified as spartan 4's is what im saying

Reaper
11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I found the one button boss battle complete and utter bullshit

Nocte
11-07-2012, 04:07 PM
they were fased into the spartan 4 program and are now classified as spartan 4's is what im saying

Oh. I never knew they were classified as Spartan IV's. Hmmm.

But after the events of Cryptum and Primordium the Didact and the Bornstellar/Didact don't hate humanity. So could it be another Forerunner that Didact put his imprint on before the events of Cryptum?

We still have Silentium to read, which I'm taking is why 343 waited to release it after Halo 4 to explain that.

Al Capone111
11-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh. I never knew they were classified as Spartan IV's. Hmmm.

We still have Silentium to read, which I'm taking is why 343 waited to release it after Halo 4 to explain that.

Exactly. Cause Born liked humans. Cryptum era Didact didn't love humans, but he understood them better than he did before and didn't hate them.

KazuhLLL
11-07-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the Unified Earth Government created a whole branch of the military called simply "Spartan". The remaining S-II's and S-III's were put into this branch, but they're still classified as S-II, S-III, and S-IV.

Specact
11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

I know. I was expecting a epic battle because of all the weapon crates and stuff before you got to him.

Graycochea
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Exactly. Cause Born liked humans. Cryptum era Didact didn't love humans, but he understood them better than he did before and didn't hate them.

@Nocte This is what I'm saying. Neither Didact hated humanity, but they(Forerunner and Humanity) were enemies. Because of that, the Didact obviously didn't like humanity, but he respected them as a race and as equals, I think, which he mentioned when he was talking to the Lord of Admirals. That means that somewhere between Primordium and Halo 4 he went from respecting the human race to thinking that they were an insect to be crushed. Theories: Bornstellar Didact developed own opinions on humans(though he didn't hate them either), he snapped and went insane, something happened between him and the Librarian(Notice how the game didn't make a mention of their marriage).

I can't wait until Silentium because according to 343(Spark not Industries) she is still alive somewhere.

Also, to answer your other question, Silentium may take place after Halo 4, cause (SPOILER) at the end of Primordium Chakas goes berserk and hijacks a UNSC ship to go rocketing off in search of the Librarian. They may tell part of that story using flashbacks while the main book takes place in the present with Chakas trying to find the Librarians... cryptum? Or maybe she's inside of a shield world.

Note: Didact in books was a "humanitarian". Didn't want to set off Halo because he cared about the sanctity of life. He developed the Shield Worlds. The contrast between the book Didact and the game Didact is staggering. Either something huge happened to the Didact or 343(Industries not Guilty Spark) is diverting from the book.

Either way, I'm excited for the future of Halo.

- - - Updated - - -

I know. I was expecting a epic battle because of all the weapon crates and stuff before you got to him.

The epic battle was fighting all those fuckin' Warrior-Servants on the platforms. Honestly, I don't mind the CoD ending because I think there will be an epic battle between Titans in one of the later games.

Didact definitely isn't dead. He doesn't survive for 150,000 years and then bite it from a grenade to the chest and falling into deep space.

The Didact is the only character in the series that may be cooler than the Chief.

Fuzzy
11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I just beat it on Legendary Solo, hardest Halo campaign I have ever done, needless to say it was awesome. I loved the Star Fox flying part.

Nocte
11-07-2012, 06:47 PM
May I also go on record and say this. The Forerunner Saga is being told the UNSC by Spark. An age old literary ruse is making the narrator unreliable, Spark could very well be unreliable.

The Terminals also explain why the Humans and Forerunners went to war in the first place. Humanity was all glassing Forerunner planets to stop the flood and never told the Forerunners why.

zZ Dr K Zz
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I am actually happy to see that happen. Halo doesn't need boss battles and it should stay that way. Especially after the dreadful and phoned in one in Halo 2. Halo 3's "boss battle" with 343 was pointless and could have been resolved with a longer cutscene.

VerbotenDonkey
11-08-2012, 12:57 AM
In case you didn't know, Requiem was a prison >_> So I think the Didact was just insane. Possibly from being couped up for so long.

Overall I loved the Campaign. I think there was just a LITTLE too many tasks, like run over here and push this buttons, etc. I think they should have come up with a few more interesting tasks than just button pushing. I'm also sad we didn't get to see much of Requiem. Basically just got there and left lol.

Fiery Grave
11-08-2012, 01:11 AM
In case you didn't know, Requiem was a prison >_> So I think the Didact was just insane. Possibly from being couped up for so long.

Overall I loved the Campaign. I think there was just a LITTLE too many tasks, like run over here and push this buttons, etc. I think they should have come up with a few more interesting tasks than just button pushing. I'm also sad we didn't get to see much of Requiem. Basically just got there and left lol.

I agree with the task thing, Im also finding the campaign, even on legendary incredibly easy... automatic weapons just rape everything and keep a precision weapon for un shielded opponent and blam... super easy campaign...

Coda
11-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Cortana :( she's been around since... Forever. Will John go AI-less? Will Cortana make some miraculous return? I feel bad for John. That sucks.

Nocte
11-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Cortana :( she's been around since... Forever. Will John go AI-less? Will Cortana make some miraculous return? I feel bad for John. That sucks.

We never really saw here "die", I personally think she'll come back at some point in five. Chief can't go A.I.less. Think back on how much Cortana did for the Chief. I was okay with the button pressing gave me something to do while I'm fucking up the storm or the knights.

Deathhawk
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I have no idea what the hell was happening through the campaign. It was also short and I felt all the missions were the same, hit a button, then do it again. Thank god those buttons looked fucking incredible.

I felt like I was missing explanation for what I was doing- in Halo 2 and Halo 3 the missions were very clear cut and I knew there was a purpose to what I was working towards.
I also would have liked a boss battle- it's pretty anticlimactic to fight a whole campaign only to see the dude get pushed off a bridge by Cortana. I wanted to kill him myself.

I don't think there was enough explanation for us non-book reading gamers either...

Like, first of all, who is Didact? Is he forerunner? Is he Promethean? What the hell is a Promethean anyways?
Who's the Librarian? What does she do to chief?

What interaction did the Didact have with humanity that pissed him off so much?

Why is Del Rio such a stupid fuck?

Why is the Covenant still fighting us?

Why was NOBODY really even REMOTELY surprised that THE MASTER FUCKING CHIEF WASN'T DEAD?!?

Coda
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
We never really saw here "die", I personally think she'll come back at some point in five. Chief can't go A.I.less. Think back on how much Cortana did for the Chief. I was okay with the button pressing gave me something to do while I'm fucking up the storm or the knights.

In the description for the epilogue, it says "Cortana's death. . ." or something like that

Maxdoggy
11-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I have no idea what the hell was happening through the campaign. It was also short and I felt all the missions were the same, hit a button, then do it again. Thank god those buttons looked fucking incredible.

I agree.

I felt like I was missing explanation for what I was doing- in Halo 2 and Halo 3 the missions were very clear cut and I knew there was a purpose to what I was working towards.
I also would have liked a boss battle- it's pretty anticlimactic to fight a whole campaign only to see the dude get pushed off a bridge by Cortana. I wanted to kill him myself.

Cortana didn't push him off, that grenade you placed on his back pushed him off.

I don't think there was enough explanation for us non-book reading gamers either...

Like, first of all, who is Didact? Is he forerunner? Is he Promethean? What the hell is a Promethean anyways?

Yeah, if you don't read the books you wouldn't know.

That'll be explained in detail in Silentium, probably.

Because he thinks he deserved that position (which he kinda did) though Margaret Parangosky thought otherwise.

Explained in Karen Traviss' books. Specifically, The Thursday War.

Why was NOBODY really even REMOTELY surprised that THE MASTER FUCKING CHIEF WASN'T DEAD?!?

In that jungle mission, if you listen to the Marines, they are all like "what the heck"? And "we thought you were dead!"

Graycochea
11-11-2012, 09:00 PM
**Copied from Maxdoggy's Answer**

I agree.

Cortana didn't push him off, that grenade you placed on his back pushed him off.

Yeah, if you don't read the books you wouldn't know.

Didact is a Forerunner Promethean. Promethean is the technical term for a Forerunner Warrior-Servant. Like the Covenant the Forerunners had a caste system with the Builders on top(Prophets), then the Miners(Elites), Lifeworkers(Jackals), Warrior-Servants(Grunts). That was their system from top to bottom. Their jobs are completely different than the Covenant jobs.

Builders designed and built Forerunner structures. Halo's were designed by the Master Builder and Bornstellar's father. Miners were secondly important because they mined the material the builders used to build. Lifeworkers are like glorified medics or doctors. The lowest caste was the Warrior-Servants(Prometheans). The Prometheans were the fighters. They were the Forerunner military.

The Didact is a great Forerunner General who was imprisoned for not wanting to build the Halos. Instead of going to jail, he chose to enter a Cryptum(time capsule type thing). The Librarian gets Bornstellar to open the Cryptum, bringing the Didact back to life. The original Didact gets executed and Bornstellar becomes the Didact.

The Librarian is a Lifeworker. She's like the head Lifeworker called The Lifeshaper. She can control peoples genes and gives humanity a genetic memory. She is also the Didacts wife, which they never touch on. She forced Chief to evolve so that when the Composer melted the Dr. in that one level, it didn't work on him. She also unlocked the genetic memories which is that flashback when you meet her.

That'll be explained in detail in Silentium, probably.

At last check, the Didact liked humanity and the Bornstellar Didact had human friends so shit definitely goes down.

Because he thinks he deserved that position (which he kinda did) though Margaret Parangosky thought otherwise.

Explained in Karen Traviss' books. Specifically, The Thursday War.

They are a Covenant zealot group/terrorist organization I think called the something something of Abiding Truth

In that jungle mission, if you listen to the Marines, they are all like "what the heck"? And "we thought you were dead!"

@Nocte The second one is told from Chakas perspective, but the first is told from Bornstellars.

BloodxFangz
11-12-2012, 12:08 PM
the rings were already made, the librarian wanted to use them but didact was more on to kill the humans and enslave them by making them prometheans as a kindness in his opinion, he ignored why the humans did what they did he saw it as an attack and that they needed to be set back and he didnt really care and was imprisoned by the librarian on requiem for his "crimes". as well, the forerunners didnt know the humans were trying to stop the flood and in turn doomed the human race