PDA

View Full Version : Five ways games are getting you addicted to them.

LyricsMode
11-22-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Very very interesting read. Merry turkey day!

Coda
11-22-2012, 05:31 PM
That's really creepy

GhostHammer
11-22-2012, 05:59 PM
This is why a healthy balance of video games and real world activities are essential. Gaming isn't bad for you, but like anything else, if you do it 24/7 it will kill you.

I use xbox as my "escape" from the real world. Get stressed? Go kill some aliens and blow shit up for a while. Bad day? Go play Splinter Cell Conviction and beat the crap out of some people. It's my world where I can shelf all the real world craziness for a bit and just simply be entertained.

Lil Nawty Lucia
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
The only way it could kill you is if you, let it stress you out, and that is like days straight playing. I play games way more than most people, but I have never felt addicted. Video games have help learn many things and many skills. Then again I don't just play games, I read the books, draw fan art, write my own stories, and I can quit after a couple of really bad games too.

I don't think video games are addicting. I say the cases where people get 'addicted' are the types of people who have addictive personalities. They just need something to latch onto be it gambling, drugs, working, games, reading, etc etc. It is possible to sleep yourself to death. Does that mean the people who make more comfortable beds are in the wrong, No. I find things like this silly, not creepy , not scary, and I don't ever worry about getting addicted.

To me that article just spreads paranoia, making you worry about useless things, and that can kill you just as fast as stress from gaming.

EDIT: Crap you made me rant. Now I need some Halo 4

Fiery Grave
11-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Your MUCH better off reading up on Flow (concept) this theory was tested and proven in the game of the same title. Miholy Chicksamilhaly is quite brilliant with it

and for those too lazy to read up on it at all its basically the real reason why people get addicted to games, when your skill level matches the challenge (both of which need to increase over time as you play more and learn more) you enter a state of Flow, where you will not notice anything but the game, time and bodily functions are ignored and conceptually if you make a game where the challenge is always just about the player skill level you can get the to piss themselves from ignoring the bathroom, but they will not starve themselves, body just goes fuck you your eating by that point.

everything is in the challenge, not matter if the challenge is finding a new gun in borderland, beating that one opponent in dead or alive, or winning a game in halo... its all the challenge that gets you addicted