PDA

View Full Version : My New Laptop

Deathhawk
11-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Sup yall. Just purchased a new laptop for college/because my old tower was worthless (Yay intel core 2 duo processer and 1gb of ram!)

What software should I equip it with? It came with a nice screen capture program, actually.
Haven't decided if I want to game or not with it. I'll be doing video editing which is taxing enough.

Here's my new friend.

A Lenovo Y580.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM (2.40GHz, 6MB Cache)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX650M 2GB
RAM: 8.0GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Display: 15.6" HD Glare
Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 rpm

Maxdoggy
11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Nice! How much did you pay for it?

Deathhawk
11-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Nice! How much did you pay for it?

A crisp $923.50!

It was on sale, and there was free shipping. It said I saved $450.

KazuhLLL
11-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Consider me jelly. My laptop's crap lol.

Maxdoggy
11-28-2012, 11:57 PM
It's a pretty nice deal! How fast does it boot with that crap 5400RPM 1 TB HDD? I know Win8 is fast on boot up, but if there's an extra slot for it, I might suggest a small SSD for Win8 and for your video editing software.

Deathhawk
11-29-2012, 12:23 AM
It's a pretty nice deal! How fast does it boot with that crap 5400RPM 1 TB HDD? I know Win8 is fast on boot up, but if there's an extra slot for it, I might suggest a small SSD for Win8 and for your video editing software.

Definitely planning on getting an SSD. Keeping AVCHD video files on the computers hard drive is such a bitch.

Boots pretty quickly. Granted, I have nothing on it yet lol

Consider me jelly. My laptop's crap lol.

I feel your pain. My old desktop was an acer from 2006 that was like $300 back then.
It feels like I can walk/run after being in a wheelchair my whole life.

Coda
11-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Sup yall. Just purchased a new laptop for college/because my old tower was worthless (Yay blah blah blah blah)

What software should I equip it with? It came with a nice screen capture program, actually.
Haven't decided if I want to game or not with it. I'll be doing video editing which is taxing enough.

Here's my new friend.

A something or other.

Specs:

Processor: blah blah blah blah
Graphics: blah blah blah blah blah
RAM: blah blah
Display: blah blah blah blah blah blah
Hard Drive: blah blah blah

This is what I read. Yeah, I'm not good with computers.

Sounds good though!

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
11-29-2012, 12:38 AM
That's a sexy piece of hardware Dalton, I have a Lenovo also but not nearly as nice as that one.

KazuhLLL
11-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Definitely planning on getting an SSD. Keeping AVCHD video files on the computers hard drive is such a bitch.

Boots pretty quickly. Granted, I have nothing on it yet lol

I installed Win8 on my computer a month or two ago. It still boots awesomely fast.

I feel your pain. My old desktop was an acer from 2006 that was like $300 back then.
It feels like I can walk/run after being in a wheelchair my whole life.

Yeah, it's awful. This laptop is a Toshiba that came with Vista, has 2GB RAM, 1.8 GhZ Dual-core processor, and a crappy graphics card. It lasts 20-30 minutes on power saver and overheats unless I specifically place it with the side exhaust hanging in midair. It barely runs Minecraft at 20 fps xD

My goal for the next few years is to get an Alienware laptop at some point. Even the cheapest Alienware would be a dream compared to this garbage xP

Blackhawk570
11-29-2012, 12:53 AM
That is a nice deal. I likey.

Lil Nawty Lucia
11-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I installed Win8 on my computer a month or two ago. It still boots awesomely fast.

Yeah, it's awful. This laptop is a Toshiba that came with Vista, has 2GB RAM, 1.8 GhZ Dual-core processor, and a crappy graphics card. It lasts 20-30 minutes on power saver and overheats unless I specifically place it with the side exhaust hanging in midair. It barely runs Minecraft at 20 fps xD

My goal for the next few years is to get an Alienware laptop at some point. Even the cheapest Alienware would be a dream compared to this garbage xP

Hasn't Alienware been dropping in quality lately? I would rather buy one of those 360 Laptops people have made. lol This thread makes my laptop feel old I hate the thought of replacing it. I need to find me a deal like Death Hawk got.

KazuhLLL
11-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Hasn't Alienware been dropping in quality lately? I would rather buy one of those 360 Laptops people have made. lol This thread makes my laptop feel old I hate the thought of replacing it. I need to find me a deal like Death Hawk got.

You'd have to ask a better computer expert than me lol. All I know is that my roommate has one that he bought this past Summer, and it's wonderful.

Maxdoggy
11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
If you're looking for an overpriced gaming laptop, Alienware and OriginPC are the way to go! Lol.

Since I have my desktop here at school (Core i5-2500k @3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Crappy GeForce 8800GTX), I'll probably spring for a Lenovo YogaPad (the one that's screen can flip 360 degrees to act like a tablet) or an Asus Taichi 31 (the one that has screens on the inside AND the outside of the laptop).

Lil Nawty Lucia
11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I am stuck with this Fossil. lol ASUS Notebook G50vt series http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G50Vt/
It has served me faithfully, but it is developing quite the over heating problem. Other than that its a dream.

Plus it has that awesome design on the outside.

Deaf
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Personally, my Dell Latitude E6500 has always been a dream for me and can handle even the toughest games.