PDA

View Full Version : Freelancers

AgentK33
12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm not going to lie, I completely stole this idea from RVB, but I think it would be cool to have this implemented.

Basically, there would be a separate faction of Freelancers, and individual freelancers could be hired for different battle by either side. What do you guys think?

VerbotenDonkey
12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
This idea has been brought up before, but has been shot down many times. While it is an honest idea, and could work, neither side really has the numbers to have an additional "Faction" added, because we need all the members to be in either side for battles nights to keep the numbers even so people don't have to wait around.

Spartanbh
12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
This is one of the most frequent suggestions that we get and unfortunately it just can't happen. The whole idea of freelancers/mercenaries takes away from our war feel and adds unneeded tension and such. It's just a quick way for the people who don't feel like taking part in army practices/rules and such get a free ride into our games. Plus it would cause a bunch of "double agent" and "spying" stuff that would create unnecessary drama.

Maxdoggy
12-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Listen to the chaps above.

Also, no.

No.

No.

VerbotenDonkey
12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
This is one of the most frequent suggestions that we get and unfortunately it just can't happen. The whole idea of freelancers/mercenaries takes away from our war feel and adds unneeded tension and such. It's just a quick way for the people who don't feel like taking part in army practices/rules and such get a free ride into our games. Plus it would cause a bunch of "double agent" and "spying" stuff that would create unnecessary drama.

Actually, if anything, it adds to the war simulation. There would probably be private mercenaries used for hiring, much like there is today. Maybe not within the Empire, as I doubt the Emperor would allow it, but in free territory definitely. And to counter spying, just don't let them see Army forums. Maybe have them have open-to-all Factions forums, and they can't see any Faction forums besides their own, where you can use vCash or cR to buy Mercenaries for the night. Infact, Mercenaries would be a good way for people who can't be online enough for a Faction, but still want to hop into the battle when they can, the time to play. Say an individual can only show up once a month, then they just pop on and they join up with whichever Faction has less people, to balance it out. The Mercs faction wouldn't have to be organized like one of ours, like no Squads or anything, and it would have to be regulated with how many people are in it, like if they actually have the time to be in a Faction then they have to enlist in a Faction.

I actually like the idea haha. But I know it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

Spartanbh
12-26-2012, 07:24 PM
In a video game world it can't work due to the hassle and complications that would immediately arise. Sure on paper and stuff it would be awesome, but it can't be done if we want to have a balanced war and fair war.

VerbotenDonkey
12-26-2012, 07:55 PM
In a video game world it can't work due to the hassle and complications that would immediately arise. Sure on paper and stuff it would be awesome, but it can't be done if we want to have a balanced war and fair war.

I see no reason why not? O.o As long as the people in the Freelancer position are fairly active when they're on, communications would be easy.

GhostHammer
12-26-2012, 11:06 PM
We really do need that list of "past suggestions that have been brought up 100 times."

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 12:24 AM
I think it's a good idea! Mainly for those who want to take part in FC but don't have time to attend practice and what not due to work/real life stuff. It wouldn't really be that hard to do. Basically Freelancers are there when available by either army as extra's.

On battle nights they can work as fill ins to even out matches. Like when BLUE army was doing their squad battle thing during peace time. A lot of the time there were squads with un even people. Getting a freelancer could have balanced it out. Now that doesn't mean that Freelancers will have access to any army sections. So "spying" wouldn't be an issue.

Doesn't hurt to try it out. Worse case, we go back to normal lol

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Would be a good idea for people who are opinionated too. (Me, Nameless People, Etc)

Anarchy
12-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Really, really complicated to handle. It's one thing to see how much fun it might be, but we run based on a REDD vs BLUE mentality, and it's another thing to imagine the vast amount of work it would require. Not only would this garner less activity from both sides, it would also be a lot less organized, and would fragment this community further. We'd need a lot more resources to lead what is essentially a third faction, unless we want it to start serving as a loophole through common army law and leadership.

It requires no effort, work, or commitment to be in an army other than being a part of that army. If you don't want to, or can't, show up to practices or any events whatsoever, you aren't hurting much of anyone. The only purpose "freelancers" would have is creating a loophole for people who don't want to be under army rules, and creating a loophole behind people committing to one army or another. Even if we used the group to fix any inequality gaps, these "freelancers" would most likely end up playing for the same side continuously anyway.

It's a cool idea that has been brought up a lot, but once we create a 3rd faction, people will start suggesting a 4th faction, then a 5th, and then we turn into 5 factions of 20 people each. It already takes a lot of resources to run two armies, and I dare say we lack the resources to do even that in its entirety.

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 02:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHpdgHTINik

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Really, really complicated to handle. It's one thing to see how much fun it might be, but we run based on a REDD vs BLUE mentality, and it's another thing to imagine the vast amount of work it would require. Not only would this garner less activity from both sides, it would also be a lot less organized, and would fragment this community further. We'd need a lot more resources to lead what is essentially a third faction, unless we want it to start serving as a loophole through common army law and leadership.

It requires no effort, work, or commitment to be in an army other than being a part of that army. If you don't want to, or can't, show up to practices or any events whatsoever, you aren't hurting much of anyone. The only purpose "freelancers" would have is creating a loophole for people who don't want to be under army rules, and creating a loophole behind people committing to one army or another. Even if we used the group to fix any inequality gaps, these "freelancers" would most likely end up playing for the same side continuously anyway.

It's a cool idea that has been brought up a lot, but once we create a 3rd faction, people will start suggesting a 4th faction, then a 5th, and then we turn into 5 factions of 20 people each. It already takes a lot of resources to run two armies, and I dare say we lack the resources to do even that in its entirety.

Ugh where do I begin? There wouldn't be ANY effort into having a freelance branch. If anything it would benefit both armies.

" Hey anarchy can't be here tonight and we are down a few people....oh hey lets look at the freelancer's to see if anyone is on to fill in. Oh hey look Reibear is on!"

I am just saying. It isn't about not wanting to follow army rules. Maybe some people would like to play with people in both armies. Lots of us have been in both armies and have people we like to play with. Being Freelance will give people the opportunity to do this.

Like I said...it's not gonna kill FC to try it. Think of it as a beta. We did Beta wars for HALO 4 right? We tried things out to see it it would work. It is better to try and fail than to not try at all.

Coda
12-27-2012, 02:14 AM
I kinda agree with Anarchy. It's a cool idea. If we had like a 100 extra people in each army... Then I could see it. But this a REDD vs BLUE thing. That's what it's always been. If you want mercs, you guys better start recruiting ^_^

Actually, having 100 extra people in each army could lead to a lot of really cool changes. But that's not going to happen for a while.

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 02:16 AM
I kinda agree with Anarchy. It's a cool idea. If we had like a 100 extra people in each army... Then I could see it. But this a REDD vs BLUE thing. That's what it's always been. If you want mercs, you guys better start recruiting ^_^

Actually, having 100 extra people in each army could lead to a lot of really cool changes. But that's not going to happen for a while.

I have been recruiting lol And Granted it is REDD vs BLUE but having freelancers wont change that.

Freelance
12-27-2012, 02:17 AM
Everyone seems to disagree, but it really seems awesome. Especially if it could be pulled off.

Coda
12-27-2012, 02:20 AM
if it could be done properly, then it could be cool. But there's a lot of coulds there. And having it be "REDD, BLUE or mercs" would make it be less members for both armies. This has already been said. As of right now, this really isn't going to happen. If we get tons more members... maybe. But right now... No

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 02:24 AM
FC doesn't like change....

Why do we even have a suggestion section?

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 02:26 AM
This place'll never change

Anarchy
12-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Ugh where do I begin? There wouldn't be ANY effort into having a freelance branch. If anything it would benefit both armies.

" Hey anarchy can't be here tonight and we are down a few people....oh hey lets look at the freelancer's to see if anyone is on to fill in. Oh hey look Reibear is on!"

I am just saying. It isn't about not wanting to follow army rules. Maybe some people would like to play with people in both armies. Lots of us have been in both armies and have people we like to play with in both armies. Being Freelance will give people the opportunity to do this.

Like I said...it's not gonna kill FC to try it. Think of it as a beta. We did Beta wars for HALO 4 right? We tried things out to see it it would work. It is better to try and fail than to not try at all.

There would be effort. New user groups, user images, finding freelance leadership, people to oversee the "freelancers" in general.

An army would never be down one player and need a freelancer if the freelancers were just in armies in the first place. It doesn't increase our total manpower by any means, it just displaces people into a different, 3rd faction.

I'm 100% sure it isn't about not following army rules. But I can guarantee if implemented people will leave structured armies to the "freelancers" so they don't have to "listen to the man". And that's great if you want to play with both armies, we want overall community involvement, but that's what neutral events are for. As far as battle nights go, as I said, one of the only advantages of this is a loophole behind committing to one army. But we have open transfers from one army to the other, you can switch sides whenever you want without having a third faction for it.

It would not kill FC, true. But we as a War Council have 4 days to release attack plans for the next war, and between that time, we have to pretty much plan an entire war and prepare our respective armies. We'd have to have someone leading or at least managing this group, and we'd need to find some way to limit it's usage to prevent loopholes. Who would do a freelancer's bootcamp? Who would they get in touch with on Sundays to find a game? Would they be allowed in both army's events? (Conflict of Interest). Would they have their own subsection, and who would handle it? What side could dish out punishment to these people if deserving? Who would represent them with a lack of solid leadership? Who would make their usergroup images? Would they have a ranking system, and who would handle that if they did? How would we work it into FC Lore? Who decides which way they go if both sides want to use them on Sundays? How do we handle freelancer respect to faction enforcement during battle nights and how liable are they? Everyone would want to be a part of this cool freelancer group, so how do we limit its enlistment so that freelancers don't end up becoming the largest faction? How do we decide who can and cannot be a freelancer?

If we implement them, one of two thing will inevitably happen:
-The freelancers will be a mostly dead group with no leadership. It would end up just sucking a lot of resources to keep going, handle, and regulate while it's members would just be glorified forum members with a new usergroup.
-The freelancers would be the next cool place for cool, young fc members, and it would end up being massive. Problem here? It would be a naturally open and mainly leaderless faction, so if that douchebag from WoW who escaped my soon to be wrath for tbagging by going freelancer calls you a bad thing, you've got no faction leader to go to in order to get it solved. So you go to myth whose already busy handling 34983 things. Then the armies are kinda bland with only 2-3 active units because everyone went freelancer so they can play anywhere they want, and they do just that, making battles more like custom night get togethers.

I think I speak for the entirety of WC when I say we'd rather not spend hours of our day doing that for the next war when we already have armies of 100+ to lead, and an entire war to plan, with the RoE and hell, one could argue a brand new Halo 4 era to plan.

It's not that I think this is a terrible idea, because it truly, truly isn't. It's a fun idea to think of being a freelancer, doing whatever the hell you want, and playing wherever you want away from all the ruckus. But it would serve very little purpose, and isn't in the spirit of what we are. Any benefit it might provide can be obtained by simply not having it in the first place.

Sorry. A 3rd faction might be cool if we had 25+ squads showing to every battle night, and we could have three active, healthy factions. But there's just no reason for it...

Metkil5685
12-27-2012, 02:45 AM
There would be effort. New user groups, user images, finding freelance leadership, people to oversee the "freelancers" in general.

An army would never be down one player and need a freelancer if the freelancers were just in armies in the first place. It doesn't increase our total manpower by any means, it just displaces people into a different, 3rd faction.

I'm 100% sure it isn't about not following army rules. But I can guarantee if implemented people will leave structured armies to the "freelancers" so they don't have to "listen to the man". And that's great if you want to play with both armies, we want overall community involvement, but that's what neutral events are for. As far as battle nights go, as I said, one of the only advantages of this is a loophole behind committing to one army. But we have open transfers from one army to the other, you can switch sides whenever you want without having a third faction for it.

It would not kill FC, true. But we as a War Council have 4 days to release attack plans for the next war, and between that time, we have to pretty much plan an entire war and prepare our respective armies. We'd have to have someone leading or at least managing this group, and we'd need to find some way to limit it's usage to prevent loopholes. Who would do a freelancer's bootcamp? Who would they get in touch with on Sundays to find a game? Would they be allowed in both army's events? (Conflict of Interest). Would they have their own subsection, and who would handle it? What side could dish out punishment to these people if deserving? Who would represent them with a lack of solid leadership? Who would make their usergroup images? Would they have a ranking system, and who would handle that if they did? How would we work it into FC Lore? Who decides which way they go if both sides want to use them on Sundays? How do we handle freelancer respect to faction enforcement during battle nights and how liable are they? Everyone would want to be a part of this cool freelancer group, so how do we limit its enlistment so that freelancers don't end up becoming the largest faction? How do we decide who can and cannot be a freelancer?

If we implement them, one of two thing will inevitably happen:
-The freelancers will be a mostly dead group with no leadership. It would end up just sucking a lot of resources to keep going, handle, and regulate while it's members would just be glorified forum members with a new usergroup.
-The freelancers would be the next cool place for cool, young fc members, and it would end up being massive. Problem here? It would be a naturally open and mainly leaderless faction, so if that douchebag from WoW who escaped my soon to be wrath for tbagging by going freelancer calls you a bad thing, you've got no faction leader to go to in order to get it solved. So you go to myth whose already busy handling 34983 things. Then the armies are kinda bland with only 2-3 active units because everyone went freelancer so they can play anywhere they want, and they do just that, making battles more like custom night get togethers.

I think I speak for the entirety of WC when I say we'd rather not spend hours of our day doing that for the next war when we already have armies of 100+ to lead, and an entire war to plan, with the RoE and hell, one could argue a brand new Halo 4 era to plan.

It's not that I think this is a terrible idea, because it truly, truly isn't. It's a fun idea to think of being a freelancer, doing whatever the hell you want, and playing wherever you want away from all the ruckus. But it would serve very little purpose, and isn't in the spirit of what we are. Any benefit it might provide can be obtained by simply not having it in the first place.

Sorry. A 3rd faction might be cool if we had 25+ squads showing to every battle night, and we could have three active, healthy factions. But there's just no reason for it...

My name is Metkil and I approve of this message.

Kidding aside, I agree with Anarchy 100% here. We have tried this in the past and it didn't work. Perhaps its something we can look at when we have a much larger scale, but at this current time implementation of this would not work. Right now, see if you want work out something with your Field Marshall to form some kind of group of people who act as substitutes to fill those games where squads can't fill a game. That's the closest you'll be able to do something like this.

Also, in response to "things never change." They do, a lot. Things are so much different then they were when I joined back in Halo 2. This is considered off-topic and this discussion will cease. If you wish to discuss this, please send me a PM.

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 02:46 AM
FC doesn't like change....

Why do we even have a suggestion section?

Spartanbh
12-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Also, for all of you who weren't around (which is pretty much 99.99% of you), we tried this before. Back in 2006 when we had roughly 200-250 members in Halo 2's prime, me and Tyranny90 created a 3rd army called the Rogue Nation which was basically an army that was full of people who didn't want to deal with the rules from REDD and BLUE. Well, needless to say it caused SOOOOOO much stress on everyone. It wasn't so much of a numbers thing that was the problem, but the lack of community and communication between the armies. We played maybe about 5 battle nights and then decided that a successful war should just have TWO armies with anyone who wants to participate being in THOSE two armies. It's not so much as a disliking towards change, it's just an idea that cannot be utilized properly in a gaming community like ours. You all have no idea how much work and preparation it takes just to get our two armies fighting, our War Council forums are always flooded with new things we have to fix and deal with. A 3rd "faction" would just add way to much stress on the entire community. If you REALLY want to play in a battle, you can just enlist in an army. There's nothing wrong with just joining, being slightly inactive and only showing up on battle nights. Plus, I'm pretty sure an army leader will ALWAYS turn to extra members in their army to fill in empty spaces rather than some mercenary. There will always be extras ready for a game.

xXReiBearXx
12-27-2012, 02:53 AM
We really do need that list of "past suggestions that have been brought up 100 times."

Ok maybe you guys should HIGHLY consider this suggestion before we post any more suggestions cause to be honest I am so tired of having to see suggestions be responded with "WE DID THIS ALREADY"

Anarchy
12-27-2012, 02:55 AM
Ok maybe you guys should HIGHLY consider this suggestion before we post any more suggestions cause to be honest I am so tired of having to see suggestions be responded with "WE DID THIS ALREADY"

Consider it done I'll make one tomorrow.

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Just give it a shot. Jesus

Anarchy
12-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Just give it a shot. Jesus

Create the user group images, do all the work for its subsection, give an answer to all the questions I asked in the previous long post, and then state two good ways this would truly, truly benefit the community and then we'll give it its shot.

If you guys are so intent on having it, then do the work to have it, and I'll push for it until the day I die.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:00 AM
The way I'd see it, it wouldn't have to be managed. If the Freelancer wants to play, they have to get in touch with the Field Marshal of the Army that needs help. Something like that. Or if they get in contact with a Field Marshal to play, they have to be put on the Faction that needs the most help? Something like that.

It would need ONE usergroup. And if someone joins the Freelancers, they have to understand that it's basically a free-roaming group for people who can't be supremely active like most, however still want to give a hand to the Community as a whole when they have time by helping out the Faction down when they can.

Anarchy
12-27-2012, 03:02 AM
It would need ONE usergroup. And if someone joins the Freelancers, they have to understand that it's basically a free-roaming group for people who can't be supremely active like most, however still want to give a hand to the Community as a whole when they have time by helping out the Faction down when they can.
It's one thing for them to understand what the group is about, it's another thing for them to not abuse it. What do we do if someone active wants to be in it? Where do we draw the line? Do we kick someone out of the group if they play too much?

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 03:03 AM
If we gather the users, make the images and form a base ranking system and also gain a subsection we will.

Hell, I will

Freelance
12-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Well I, for one, would join. There do not need to be many people, not even over 50. You need an extra BLUE, hire a freelancer. Same thing for the REDDs.

Jam Cliché
12-27-2012, 03:07 AM
I just want to contribute as someone who hasn't seen this idea implemented and also disagrees with it, since I haven't seen anyone who fits both those categories yet.

There are ways to avoid stepping on toes here. I know that when I joined FC a little while ago, my army choice was arbitrary. SpartanBH's post on Waypoint is what led me here, and as far as I was concerned I had no ties to either army (little did I know what friends of friends I'd find). Point is, I didn't concern myself too much about which army I would be tied to, because as I considered the idea that, even separated as factions, REDD and BLUE members would still play together and have history with one another.

I was right. In fact, I played a few games with some of Redwatch today, when Myth dragged our parties together.

You have the power to make this kind of thing happen, but the War Council works hard to make official game nights run smoothly, so those should not be interfered with. Luckily enough, there are 6 other days of the week you can use. Look at Anarchy's Purple tournament for instance. That was a pretty sweet idea on how to get REDD and BLUE to celebrate community spirit, and I look forward to playing in that tournament. While it is true that you should not try to create a rogue faction to participate in official nights, that doesn't stop you from starting something communal in FC.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Don't try to interfere with Sunday Battles, but don't let that discourage you from bringing both sides together in some other way.

Spartanbh
12-27-2012, 03:08 AM
My point is....WHY WOULD THE ARMY LEADER DECIDE TO HOP OVER THEIR OWN LOYAL RECRUITS FOR A FREELANCER?! That is just not fair to someone who is putting in the effort of being in an army?! That's just a cruel way for people who are lazy to join in army activities to have a chance at battles.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:09 AM
It's one thing for them to understand what the group is about, it's another thing for them to not abuse it. What do we do if someone active wants to be in it? Where do we draw the line? Do we kick someone out of the group if they play too much?

I'm just throwing ideas out there. We don't have the numbers for this to be effective, but I would imagine it being a chill third party that rarely gets used and isn't too full. Think of it as a "Reserves" were for each Faction when we still had them. Or think of it as when Micro or people were rejoining but say they can't play often. I would think of it as being something like that.

I'll sleep on it to see if I think of anything, but really it wouldn't work too well. I would just think it leaves middle ground for people who want to help out with the community aspect help out the war simulation by bouncing around from faction to faction on Sundays if they can play.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is....WHY WOULD THE ARMY LEADER DECIDE TO HOP OVER THEIR OWN LOYAL RECRUITS FOR A FREELANCER?! That is just not fair to someone who is putting in the effort of being in an army?! That's just a cruel way for people who are lazy to join in army activities to have a chance at battles.

It wouldn't be whole Squads. Only a few people to help fill a Mix or so. Things like that. Not a whole new Faction, persay.

Jam Cliché
12-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Also, I am not sure I have seen a situation where either army has needed a freelancer. My squad has had to take substitute a couple times in the beta war, but they were BLUEs on standby. Why go ask for freelancers when we have people from our own army who are waiting for a chance to play? Isn't that why we often have "BLUE Mix" and "REDD Mix" on the scoreboards?

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Their down guy(s) they can hire them for practice and some want a 3rd Group

Anarchy
12-27-2012, 03:13 AM

I actually cut this out of my longer post.

We always have extras, at least in BLUE, sitting around. It's very rare we only need one or two people. Beyond that, freelancers would hardly ever play. Even if they did find a position to play in, they'd be replaced instantly if a BLUE got on. Honestly, if I were inactive and couldn't show up to but maybe one battle a month, I probably wouldn't want to be in the group that gets replaced every two seconds.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Also, I am not sure I have seen a situation where either army has needed a freelancer. My squad has had to take substitute a couple times in the beta war, but they were BLUEs on standby. Why go ask for freelancers when we have people from our own army who are waiting for a chance to play? Isn't that why we often have "BLUE Mix" and "REDD Mix" on the scoreboards?

My second REDWATCH group sat out an entire round of Platoons going into battle because we didn't have one extra person. So I had to play with the first group, then hop in their group right afterwards to fill the spot. So they had to wait a whole round of all our other Platoons going in before they could.

Not saying it happens a lot, but it does.

A downside of the Freelancers could be, if extras aren't needed that night, then they don't get to play.

GhostHammer
12-27-2012, 03:17 AM
I can make this simple...

I War Director. I say no Freelancers. My word is mighty.

Deathhawk
12-27-2012, 03:18 AM
Can I just say, first of all this won't work and we shouldn't waste our time with it. Not only have we done it before, but somethings just wouldn't work out. This is one of them.

Leave it alone. The war council is hesitant and they do a good job of keeping us thriving, so let them lead.
I'll bring up an old saying from when we tried to get a big and unnecessary change.

"This isn't a democracy"

Jam Cliché
12-27-2012, 03:18 AM
My second REDWATCH group sat out an entire round of Platoons going into battle because we didn't have one extra person. So I had to play with the first group, then hop in their group right afterwards to fill the spot. So they had to wait a whole round of all our other Platoons going in before they could.
Wouldn't you rather fill those potential team gaps with someone from REDD faction? In my eyes, a team that is down a member or two is merely being a taught a lesson in recruitment or encouragement of activity.

Cyberdyne's activity started to fizzle in the last couple weeks, so our Squad leadership is taking steps to both recruit and keep people active. What we aren't doing is asking for a neutral faction for our FM to spend money hiring just to help us off our asses.

Deathhawk
12-27-2012, 03:20 AM
Also:
We should focus on making what we have now, better, instead of trying to add on shiny new things.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Wouldn't you rather fill those potential team gaps with someone from REDD faction? In my eyes, a team that is down a member or two is merely being a taught a lesson in recruitment or encouragement of activity.

Cyberdyne's activity started to fizzle in the last couple weeks, so our Squad leadership is taking steps to both recruit and keep people active. What we aren't doing is asking for a neutral faction for our FM to spend money hiring just to help us off our asses.

I would, and the spot WOULD get filled with a REDD. But there were none. So to kill down on the downtime they have to wait, quick patch the spot up with a Freelancer/Mercenary and get them in a game. Number 1 thing that people complain about is lobby wait time.

The downside of Freelancers; if no spots are needed to be filled, they could potentially not get to play at ALL on most Sundays.

Just throwing ideas out there to get people's minds stimulated :) Good ideas tend to stem off of other ideas.

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Cause fuck change right? NEW STUFF IS SATAN

Jam Cliché
12-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Also:
We should focus on making what we have now, better, instead of trying to add on shiny new things.

Agreed. If a freelancer faction was made, I know I'd stay in BLUE and try to make sure that our faction doesn't need to hire rogue players. More money to spend on the war as a whole, IMO.

That being said, I refer anyone who disagrees to my previous posts in this thread, page 4 especially. Just because there isn't a freelancer group doesn't mean REDD and BLUE can't play together and get to know each other. There's also transfers if you really insist.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:24 AM

This is NOT what has come of this. GOOD change is accepted. Determine the quality of an idea and how it will affect us, and then it's either going to overall help or overall hurt us. And we determined the cons outweigh the pros.

Get your head on straight, Lyrics. Seriously. Those kind of comments aren't needed and are false.

Jam Cliché
12-27-2012, 03:32 AM
I would, and the spot WOULD get filled with a REDD. But there were none. So to kill down on the downtime they have to wait, quick patch the spot up with a Freelancer/Mercenary and get them in a game. Number 1 thing that people complain about is lobby wait time.

The downside of Freelancers; if no spots are needed to be filled, they could potentially not get to play at ALL on most Sundays.

Just throwing ideas out there to get people's minds stimulated :) Good ideas tend to stem off of other ideas.
See, I can't see the logic here. Let's pretend all of REDD, BLUE, and Freelancers are empty and devoid of soldiers at this moment, and there are 32 incoming people signing up on the site. 14 go BLUE, and 14 go REDD, then 4 people go freelancer, then each time these armies fought, they'd need to hire 2 freelancers each. It would be the same as having only two factions, where 16 go REDD and 16 go BLUE. This is a simplified version of the big picture in FC, and that big picture is this: FC is made up of a number of video game soldiers. That number is currently divided by 2. If that number was divided by 3, the number gets smaller. In other words, making a new faction doesn't magically give the community more members, nor does it give each army more potential teams. It simply splits up the current number of people in each army and fragments those armies as a results.

Simply because one idea in particular is not accepted, does not mean the community is stuck in some negative pattern of ignorance and stubbornness.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Aye but what happens if REDD has 12 and BLUE has 16 one week, say it was a DLC Map.

It's mainly circumstantial. And, like I said, I agree that this idea doesn't work, but I'm still just throwing ideas out there, maybe people can stem off my ideas. I agree, they'd be better suited just serving in a Faction. But say when I'm busy with College, and I'm just sitting at Member status, and I can actually make one battle a random Sunday in the Spring. Would I be able to play? <shrugs> It would kinda be like that. I would be a 'Freelancer' and just hop in with a group that needed me. That's all I'm saying.

LyricsMode
12-27-2012, 03:41 AM
See, I can't see the logic here. Let's pretend all of REDD, BLUE, and Freelancers are empty and devoid of soldiers at this moment, and there are 32 incoming people signing up on the site. 14 go BLUE, and 14 go REDD, then 4 people go freelancer, then each time these armies fought, they'd need to hire 2 freelancers each. It would be the same as having only two factions, where 16 go REDD and 16 go BLUE. This is a simplified version of the big picture in FC, and that big picture is this: FC is made up of a number of video game soldiers. That number is currently divided by 2. If that number was divided by 3, the number gets smaller. In other words, making a new faction doesn't magically give the community more members, nor does it give each army more potential teams. It simply splits up the current number of people in each army and fragments those armies as a results.

Simply because one idea in particular is not accepted, does not mean the community is stuck in some negative pattern of ignorance and stubbornness.

Nothings changed.

Jam Cliché
12-27-2012, 03:42 AM
Aye but what happens if REDD has 12 and BLUE has 16 one week, say it was a DLC Map.
DLC part aside, I propose that those four leftover freelancers would have been better off joining REDD, which would have made things a very simple situation indeed. I get what you're saying, though. If we pretend that BLUE has 18, and REDD 14, then both would have leftovers in any 4v4 or 8v8 situation. What I'm saying is, look at the glass as half full. Instead of seeing the need for freelancers as a way to fill in the gaps in leftover teams, consider your leftover teams as backup for other teams when the time dictates over the course of a battle night. However, that there is basically the whole purpose of the REDD/BLUE Mix teams, which means I rest my case.

GhostHammer
12-27-2012, 03:43 AM
I'll try again as the first time my nice way of saying it didn't sink in.

Not happening. No. Thank you anyways. End of conversation on a 3rd Faction/Freelancers/Mercenaries.

RetRdidMunkie
12-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Good idea
Love the idea
We can't do the idea

As said, implementation would be difficult, why pick a merc when you have a standby in your army, and we should focus on building what we have..
And as for inactive players, in H3and (I think) reach we had reserves in the armies. If someone wasn't very active, they were put in reserve, and didn't have to join a squad, but when they were on, they filled in spots. Basically what this is, but instead of a new group, they stay in armies.

VerbotenDonkey
12-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Nothings changed.

Obama's slogan was Change. See how far that got us?

BAZINGA!

Just kidding everyone. :P I'm off to bed. But seriously, if I made a suggestion that every Sunday, instead of fighting each other, we just sat in the lobby and had to be silent for fifteen minutes, and that was the battle, should that be implemented? No. Just because its suggested, does not mean it will be accepted. We do what will have the most positive affect on the community. And we've tried this idea before and it did NOT work. We had about the same amount of people as we do now. Everyone wants to be the cool third faction that's undermanned, but it doesn't work with our community layout. It just decreases the effectiveness of both Factions by creating the third faction, and makes all the Factions less effective. Think of it how we split Fire Teams in REDWATCH, and now VICTOR Team suffered for it and we have to patch the hole created. It would be like that, but on a much larger scale.

GhostHammer
12-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Topic gets closed, an HC member and Super Mod Both post *facepalm*

Only the Munkie and the Donkey. Bunch of animals I tell ya...