PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for first handgun

Legit
12-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I know not many of you are of age to own a handgun, but i thought there maybe some of you who know their stuff with guns. So basically I'm thinking about purchasing my first handgun, for self protection, and most likely getting my carrying license. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated, I am somewhat leaning towards a beretta 92fs, but open to suggestions.

PhoenixPrime
12-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Well, I would prefer a higher calibre weapon. I intend on buying a USP .45 because of its reliability, ease of use, and easy maintenance.

Lil Nawty Lucia
12-29-2012, 04:09 PM
.45 is good for scaring specially if in Revolver form. A 45 tend to be big and heavy, and the bullet is slow with a High Recoil but carry a lot of stopping power. I own a .45, .380, and a .17 cal pistols. I perfer my .380 it is small and concealable and it fits my girly hands perfectly. I also can put the full clip into a Person's head at 50 feet. My .45 is a big clunker but if I shot someone in the leg I would probably cripple them, which is another thing to consider. For Defense you want to wound not kill, unless they have a gun, otherwise you will be going to jail as well. My .380 also haves a Hammer which might be something to look into. I can Decock the hammer if I need too and I can pull the trigger after that and it works as Double Action. Meaning the Trigger pulls the Hammer back.

Just Remember to take it apart and CLEAN it it does you no good when you need it and it jams.

Hope this helps a bit. I Own 4 Rifles, a shotty, and the 3 pistols I mentioned.

Legit
12-29-2012, 04:33 PM
yea i got a rifle, and my dads got like 4 or 5 rifles and two shotguns, but neither of us own a handgun, yea i was researching pistols, and i was going for a glock, but then saw they really didnt have a safety and i liked that the beretta had a double action to single action as well as a safety.

Lil Nawty Lucia
12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Beretta is a typically a good gun, I know that several models were used in militaries. I guess you went some where and seen one that is why you want it. I would say get a 9mm if you can the ammo should be a bit cheaper, more abundant, and more brands than a .45, although a .45 is quite common as well. Make certain you handle the gun before you buy is and if it's used, inspect the internals, inside the barrel, clip, firing pin, any thing you can see from pulling the slide back. Try to get some for of a Manual too. Might want to get a Holster at the same time to make certain it fits, Berettas will probably be too big for any concealed holsters. Trust me their will be nothing Concealed about it and everyone will know you have a gun, which can get you in trouble at some restaurants and other public places. I would recommend a shoulder Holster for a Beretta, thats probably your only choice aside from having it on you leg out in the open like Military do.

VerbotenDonkey
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Flintlock pistol. You won't be disappointed.

GhostHammer
12-29-2012, 07:42 PM
You need to find something that's both comfortable to hold, fire, carry, and is reliable.

For many, a 9mm pistol is great for person protection and carry. Light, easy to find ammo, and relatively cheap. .45 is nice to add some major stopping power. Anything you hit with that is GOING down, dead or not.

I've fired/own a lot of firearms. My person favorites are...

FN Five-seveN chambered in 5.7 x 28mm
Walther P99 chambered in 9mm
Sig Sauer 226 chambered in .45
FNP-45 chambered in .45
Colt 1911 chambered in .45

My newest addition is a Walter PPK chambered in 7.65 which was a Christmas gift and so far I've been enjoying that. I cant stand my Browning High-Power which is my service pistol, so I've opted to carry the 226 instead.

Any questions on specifics throw me a PM.

PhoenixPrime
12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
FN Five-seveN chambered in 5.7 x 28mm

Also quite a good gun. I like how it handles, how it feels in the shoulder holster, and how ergonomic it is, which helps quick reloads.