PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous attacks government websites

Coda
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
http://mashable.com/2013/01/26/anonymous-hack-government-website-declares-war/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

Thoughts?

Don't feel like reading those? Then basically what happened is Aaron Swartz spoke up against SOPA, and did other stuff like that. He was a very big supporter of the freedom of information thing. His initial lawyer said he was a suicide risk. They did nothing. He hung himself. This made Anonymous mad. So, they're attacking government websites. The first link gives you a youtube video uploaded by Anonymous that explains what they've done/will do/why they did it

RIP Aaron Swartz
November 8, 1986 – January 11, 2013

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
They need to do something about these hackers. This is the same group that hacked PSN, I'm surprised they havent been caught.

silversleek
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
They need to do something about these hackers. This is the same group that hacked PSN, I'm surprised they havent been caught.

too many to easily catch. and some have been caught.

On topic, if he was a suicide risk and they did nothing, that should get a lot of people in trouble. If it doesn't i don't object to vigilante justice, if there was heavy action taken against the people who refused to help him, then there's no point in my mind. I need more info for a more accurate opinion.

Coda
01-26-2013, 04:51 PM
You can't catch them. They are everywhere. It's not like once you catch one, it'll go away. They are Anonymous. They have good principals. Sometimes they do what is right. But they also go overboard a lot of the time. But it's not like "hey, let's hack these people for fun" And there is no leader or anything, either. They are their own leaders. They do what they want. It's not something you sign up for. It's just something that you do

MedeDust
01-26-2013, 05:29 PM
This is very old news.

MedeDust
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Anonymous keeps making threats but all they can do is hack. That's what they did afyer the megaupload incident. It did nothing.

Gargoyle
01-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Gargoyle approved.

silversleek
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
all they can do is hack.

The occupy movement? Pretty sure that wasn't hacking.

MedeDust
01-26-2013, 06:12 PM
The occupy movement? Pretty sure that wasn't hacking.

That was so pathetic though. Protesting and all of that is going to do nothing against the government. They just grow more power hungry and corrupt as the years pass.

Specact
01-26-2013, 07:08 PM
That was so pathetic though. Protesting and all of that is going to do nothing against the government. They just grow more power hungry and corrupt as the years pass.

Yeah the Occupy movement accomplished nothing. If anything it lost a clear purpose and cohesion really quickly.

bazongaman502
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Finally... life now becomes interesting

Jam Cliché
01-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I have been a subscriber and supporter of Demand Progress since about 2010, when they were fighting COICA, a lesser-known predecessor to SOPA/PIPA. Aaron Swartz was the founding member, if you don't already know.

They are among the few activist groups I have found that are not concerned about party lines. They work to expose and raise awareness about issues of civil liberty and freedom of information, and they are first and foremost about government accountability. Aaron Swartz's passing is a tragedy - he started a movement that has made waves in our era of society, and his name should be remembered. Anonymous' response to the issues that surround his death is not at all commendable in my mind. Now people will remember them instead of him.