PDA

View Full Version : A Way to Make Threads More Concise

Toast78901
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I've noticed, especially in suggestion threads or polls, that the amount of pages a forum runs can grow to a rather significant size. However, one of the reasons is restatement. People will make a post just to say they agree with someone, or denote it with only ^, or any other way in which they would denote that they agree with a previous poster. This can cause a thread to have way more posts than there are opinions, with each page restating damn near the same thing every time, causing a new thread viewer to have to hunt through 15 pages of repetitiveness to see if any new ideas or opinions were brought up.

Granted, I know people like to express their own views and opinions. But on most issues, the thread becomes polarized with little new info being brought up. That being said, why not add like a Ditto button to posts? Kinda like a like button on Facebook, but that essentially denotes that you have an opinion, but someone has posted it already so you are showing your support.

Now, I don't want the forum to become Facebook (I say this because I can see people construing my point that way). But I do think that this may clean up threads a bit, making them more concise which can be incredibly helpful to Admins, etc. who are looking through a thread, gathering opinions and actually plan to make changes.

Thoughts?

Deathhawk
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I'd say simply activity is always a plus.

(So no)

Jam Cliché
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
A "Karma" system of sorts, with posts being voted up/thanked/ditto'd/liked/whatever, connected to vCash (say 10 Cash each) would be rewarding for members, and we could also increased the required character count per post to something like 20 characters to encourage some actual thought in a post.

But, in any regard, you must be aware that all threads eventually do "polarize". Only so much can be said before someone repeats themselves. A debate can go on for hours even with all parties only saying the same thing, but with a directed focus towards whatever the previous poster said. It's just normal.

Metkil5685
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Hmm. Karma system you say? Encourage people to have more constructive through a karma system? Yes/No? :D

Lol its James
02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes

Fuzzy
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Hmm. Karma system you say? Encourage people to have more constructive through a karma system? Yes/No? :D

No, I have seen large forums use this system before and the communities have obsessed over the karma system causing huge issues and a lot of problems.

GhostHammer
02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
No, I have seen large forums use this system before and the communities have obsessed over the karma system causing huge issues and a lot of problems.

You mean Reddit? Yea no thanks. I love the karma thing, I do, but everyone here has an equal voice as members and their opinion shouldn't be placed at the "bottom" simply based on what will turn into a popularity system.

Platinum
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
The Karma system sounds good on paper, but in reality it will fail here. New ideas that could actually lead to something better in the community but because of some jerks, the idea never gets discovered. No thanks, I like the current system

KazuhLLL
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Sounds good in theory but I'm worried it wouldn't work so well in practice in Jam's vCash-connected version. I feel like whichever army was more active on the forums would inevitably amass more vCash through that system (just because they'd have more posts for others to thank/upvote/whatever).

Maybe have a "thread-karma" and a "comment-karma" akin to reddit and have ribbons for certain lifetime-levels of karma in each category? Or just have a "thank" system like the waypoint forums and have a ribbon be an incentive for that system as well

You mean Reddit? Yea no thanks. I love the karma thing, I do, but everyone here has an equal voice as members and their opinion shouldn't be placed at the "bottom" simply based on what will turn into a popularity system.

Yeah, I'd definitely be against that kind of karma system. But if that was what Toast was referring to (didn't get that impression , personally) then perhaps add another part of the "Display" option of each thread so that you could set it to "Karma mode" in which the posts would be sorted from highest to lowest. As a default setting I'd be against it, but for something like the Boltshot thread and the Ordnance thread it'd probably have been a good way to essentially get a TL;DR of the threads.

silversleek
02-07-2013, 06:45 PM
A "Karma" system of sorts, with posts being voted up/thanked/ditto'd/liked/whatever, connected to vCash (say 10 Cash each)

oh hell no. That could be way too easily abused.

(PSSST, guys, lets all just vote up everyone in our army and get infinite vcash, yeah!)

LyricsMode
02-07-2013, 06:49 PM
A "Karma" system of sorts, with posts being voted up/thanked/ditto'd/liked/whatever, connected to vCash (say 10 Cash each) would be rewarding for members, and we could also increased the required character count per post to something like 20 characters to encourage some actual thought in a post.

But, in any regard, you must be aware that all threads eventually do "polarize". Only so much can be said before someone repeats themselves. A debate can go on for hours even with all parties only saying the same thing, but with a directed focus towards whatever the previous poster said. It's just normal.

That's why an open conversation is the best thread and forums never really work, because the natural flow of conversation dictates that subjects change to avoid repeating ourselves. "Going off topic" as one would say, is simply changing topics to avoid repeating the same thing the above poster said. It's common practice in everyday society, but banned on message boards.

Toast78901
02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
But if that was what Toast was referring to (didn't get that impression , personally) then perhaps add another part of the "Display" option of each thread so that you could set it to "Karma mode" in which the posts would be sorted from highest to lowest. As a default setting I'd be against it, but for something like the Boltshot thread and the Ordnance thread it'd probably have been a good way to essentially get a TL;DR of the threads.

I like this. Best of both worlds, with the ability to set the viewing options to one that has the most relevant, all encompassing views of one side of a debate (shown through the votes/karma/whatever you wanna call it) at the top for easier access to the jist of the thread. Maybe other order settings as well, like have a reverse order available, having the newest posts at the top.

Gargoyle
02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Toast has a point! Now let's get this topic to 15+ pages everyone!

With my formal suit on, typing almost nothing.

1. Large amounts of pages are one of the only things that honestly attracts forum activity.
2. Sometimes diverse opinions are in large numbers.
3. We already have popularity contests in FC

Toast78901
02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
1. Large amounts of pages are one of the only things that honestly attracts forum activity.
2. Sometimes diverse opinions are in large numbers.

It's not the size of a forum that is a problem, or the amount of opinions. It's the repetitiveness and shitposts. From what I've seen, they seem to remove conciseness from threads that are meant to be used for suggestions, etc. The more concise something is, the more efficient it can become.

Gargoyle
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
This is why people have the use of polls. No matter what makes up the post or how many of them there are, at the beginning of every page the poll will still be there.

You could have 5 pages straight of people just throwing their poo at each other, a poll remains pure. Unless of course you fill it with the wrong choices......*COUGH PANIC COUGH*

Harry
02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I've noticed, especially in suggestion threads or polls, that the amount of pages a forum runs can grow to a rather significant size. However, one of the reasons is restatement. People will make a post just to say they agree with someone, or denote it with only ^, or any other way in which they would denote that they agree with a previous poster. This can cause a thread to have way more posts than there are opinions, with each page restating damn near the same thing every time, causing a new thread viewer to have to hunt through 15 pages of repetitiveness to see if any new ideas or opinions were brought up.

Granted, I know people like to express their own views and opinions. But on most issues, the thread becomes polarized with little new info being brought up. That being said, why not add like a Ditto button to posts? Kinda like a like button on Facebook, but that essentially denotes that you have an opinion, but someone has posted it already so you are showing your support.

Now, I don't want the forum to become Facebook (I say this because I can see people construing my point that way). But I do think that this may clean up threads a bit, making them more concise which can be incredibly helpful to Admins, etc. who are looking through a thread, gathering opinions and actually plan to make changes.

Thoughts?^

xXReiBearXx
02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
I like the idea of having a kind of like button here. At least for the suggestions section. There are WAAAAAAAAY to many times that topics have gotten way out of hand to the point that they get locked and people get made and post really negative comments to one another. a simple like or dislike would be better and cause less tension between disagreeing parties. HELL TO THE YES :thumbsup:

Toast78901
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
This is why people have the use of polls. No matter what makes up the post or how many of them there are, at the beginning of every page the poll will still be there.

Polls only express yes or no. Not the general consensus as to the reason why.

^

Harry, you troll...

Deathhawk
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
First off, I'd like for you to show me a thread where this stuff is a problem.
Now show me how it's a forum-wide problem that's effecting many threads in various subforums constantly..

Just some perspective.

Harry
02-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Harry, you troll...<3

xXReiBearXx
02-08-2013, 07:39 PM
First off, I'd like for you to show me a thread where this stuff is a problem.
Now show me how it's a forum-wide problem that's effecting many threads in various subforums constantly..

Just some perspective.

Where have you been? Just look at all the locked threads in the suggestions section alone

VerbotenDonkey
02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't necessarily view it as a problem. Everyone is allowed to post their opinions. It adds to the activity. Pressing a +1 button does not contribute as much as actually posting about it and voicing your opinion.

Then again, I do like reading through the long topics haha.

GhostHammer
02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Where have you been? Just look at all the locked threads in the suggestions section alone

I'll say exactly what I said in one of said threads...

It is not our job as an Admin team to ensure you guys don't act like idiots and break the rules. You're all old enough and responsible for your actions. It's our job to enforce said rules when someone does/says something against them. We're not your parents, we're not your babysitters, so the idea of implementing systems/procedures to help members act like mature people and not break the rules is by far the craziest and, no offense, horrible suggestions I've ever heard.

If people use their big boy/girl pants, learn how to speak to people, and use their head, half of said threads wouldn't even be close to being locked.

Onto the suggestion in this thread...

As Hawk said, there isn't a major issue that would condone needing such a system, and my own opinions on what it would turn into have already been stated.

xXReiBearXx
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM

It is not our job as an Admin team to ensure you guys don't act like idiots and break the rules. You're all old enough and responsible for your actions. It's our job to enforce said rules when someone does/says something against them. We're not your parents, we're not your babysitters, so the idea of implementing systems/procedures to help members act like mature people and not break the rules is by far the craziest and, no offense, horrible suggestions I've ever heard.

If people use their big boy/girl pants, learn how to speak to people, and use their head, half of said threads wouldn't even be close to being locked.

As Hawk said, there isn't a major issue that would condone needing such a system, and my own opinions on what it would turn into have already been stated.

As much as I truly agree with all of this I still have to say that people are never going to always get along and act accordingly. There are so many different personalities here with different opinions that is continuously going to cause arguments and what not. Sometimes changing the system could prove useful to help minimize the chances of disputes so that the admins don't have to deal with it. I mean again this is the suggestions section and it is always going to be back and forth. Can't hurt to try new things

GhostHammer
02-08-2013, 08:27 PM
We're not your parents, we're not your babysitters, so the idea of implementing systems/procedures to help members act like mature people and not break the rules is by far the craziest and, no offense, horrible suggestions I've ever heard.

Gargoyle
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I can get behind like buttons maybe, but we'll never have a dislike button. Ever.

That's basically saying "Fuck you and your stupid ass opinions."

And for those who need the babysitting, Ghost is like a hawk.... Seriously people, I'm pretty sure he sees everything.

VerbotenDonkey
02-08-2013, 09:09 PM
And for those who need the babysitting, Ghost is like a hawk.... Seriously people, I'm pretty sure he sees everything.

More like he's a hawk who steals the baby from the babysitter and flies away with the baby and murders them in his nest.

Yeah. Sounds about right. ;)

MedeDust
02-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Ultimately, this suggestion has to be accepted by one person, the Web admin Metkil. End of story.

GhostHammer
02-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Garg, Donkey, you all know me too well.

Graycochea
02-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Has anyone noticed the Facebook Like button on the top right of this thread?

Has that always been there?

The things you notice when you're thinking about them...

Jam Cliché
02-09-2013, 09:44 AM

This isn't just about avoiding misconduct. This suggestion deals with making discussions more concise. Do I think it would work? Well, not exactly, but no one here is asking to be babysat.

A like/thank you/+1/whatever button isn't a bad thing. Abusing any potential reward for getting one, yeah that could be bad. So don't tie it to any rewards. I don't think a dislike/no thank you/-1 whatever button would be bad either, but some might feel that way about it.

EDIT: Does anyone remember Roosterteeth's karma system? Mod points were like currency almost. You couldn't (heavily) abuse the system because you had to spend a mod point to mod someone's post. Karma went up and down over time based on activity and +/- mods received, and when you did gain karma or + mods, you gained mod points to spend.

Deathhawk
02-09-2013, 11:20 AM
EDIT: Does anyone remember Roosterteeth's karma system? Mod points were like currency almost. You couldn't (heavily) abuse the system because you had to spend a mod point to mod someone's post. Karma went up and down over time based on activity and +/- mods received, and when you did gain karma or + mods, you gained mod points to spend.

The thing that sucks is making any advanced or personalized system like that is very difficult (If possible) and Metkil has to do all the work lol.

xXReiBearXx
02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
We're not your parents, we're not your babysitters, so the idea of implementing systems/procedures to help members act like mature people and not break the rules is by far the craziest and, no offense, horrible suggestions I've ever heard.

That is very true. You are not our parents or babysitters, but as LEADERS of this community you ARE responsible for maintaining order and peace. You all forever say Maturity this and maturity that. But what the hell do you guys expect in a community with a wide ranged age group? We have member here from 13 to 40! We literally have children here and yet you expect them to all act mature? They are still growing for crying out loud. I mean I can see when I act immature or others in my age group act immature yes that is a very good reason to shit down our throats but again...we have kids here. Young adults who can not be expected to behave 24/7

So yes if the majority of members wants to suggest another system to minimize the chance of people being stupid and immature why does that have to be crazy? Why is it a horrible suggestion? I think it is a wonderful suggestion and it shows that instead of bitching and complaining to the leaders about these issues members are trying to find solutions. I sometimes think that you guy forget that it's members of FC that make FC what it is. Because without members here you all would be just a small group of friends with a website that like to play halo together.

You know I mean no disrespect with this comment. I love you to death Ghost! But I still can disagree with you lol xoxox

Toast78901
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
That is very true. You are not our parents or babysitters, but as LEADERS of this community you ARE responsible for maintaining order and peace. You all forever say Maturity this and maturity that. But what the hell do you guys expect in a community with a wide ranged age group? We have member here from 13 to 40! We literally have children here and yet you expect them to all act mature? They are still growing for crying out loud. I mean I can see when I act immature or others in my age group act immature yes that is a very good reason to shit down our throats but again...we have kids here. Young adults who can not be expected to behave 24/7

So yes if the majority of members wants to suggest another system to minimize the chance of people being stupid and immature why does that have to be crazy? Why is it a horrible suggestion? I think it is a wonderful suggestion and it shows that instead of bitching and complaining to the leaders about these issues members are trying to find solutions. I sometimes think that you guy forget that it's members of FC that make FC what it is. Because without members here you all would be just a small group of friends with a website that like to play halo together.

You know I mean no disrespect with this comment. I love you to death Ghost! But I still can disagree with you lol xoxox

I love how this thread has now become about two distinctly different topics lol. The original suggestion had no basis in babysitting. But I gotta say, remind me to not ever piss you off ReiBear lol.

xXReiBearXx
02-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I love how this thread has now become about two distinctly different topics lol. The original suggestion had no basis in babysitting. But I gotta say, remind me to not ever piss you off ReiBear lol.

LMFAO!!! It always ends up like this in suggestions. Gets off topic....

I wasn't pissed when I posted it lol I just am blunt :P I love ghosthammer he is awesome! I also enjoy our debates. Ghost is very hard to get to change his opinion but *shakes fist* I wont quit you Ghosthammer lol