PDA

View Full Version : Raz + new car

RaZ Vader
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Now. I'm no where close to afford a new vehicle.

But I hope sometime in the future to purchase a new car, but I wanted some opinions.

I am highly interested right now in the Subaru Impreza. It is an all wheel drive, and great on gas.

Any other cars come to mind? Anyone wanna buy me one? Lol.

I'm looking for just a good reliable sedan.

PhoenixPrime
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
For what purpose?

What are the biggest factors in your purchase? What will you be using your car for?

I always recommend Nissan's and Hondas post-2006 for most modern driving. I also recommend Chevrolet because of the cost of maintenance, and their new six-cylinder line looks great.

All three of these typically have great longevity, and pretty good gas mileage, and decent cost of repairs and maintenance.

RaZ Vader
02-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Just going to be using my next purchase for daily commuting and the occasional road trips. I'll keep that in mind about chevys.

I have '92 Chevy Lumina now. Its sucking up gas like there is no tomorrow... so something a little more modern will help

JamiDJ
02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
i have a 96 pont sunfire, and its amazing on gas...

PhoenixPrime
02-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I have '92 Chevy Lumina now. Its sucking up gas like there is no tomorrow... so something a little more modern will help

Don't know your income range, but unless you're willing to go pre-85 on a Chevy (not economic on gas, but fun to drive), then post 2008 are going to be your best bet. Take a look at the new Impalas on the road, or even the last line of Cobalts. I've heard pretty good things about the Malibus, but it isn't a line I'm particularly familiar with. I work part-time as a mechanic, and I see nothing but Hyundais, subarus, and Hondas (Older hondas, like pre-2003). Car companies have figured out that modern six-cylinder engines are best for longevity and gas economy.

I do basic maintenance on Chevys and Nissans too, and they're the easiest cars I've worked on, with the least wear and tear on them.

It all depends on your income and commitment, though.

bazongaman502
02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
ik im gonna get shit for saying this, but if you are looking for a car that gets good miles and isn't to expencive. Maybe consider the Smart Car?

I know people hate it and laugh at it, but it has proven facts that its one of the best vehicals out there below the $20,000 price range.

KazuhLLL
02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
ik im gonna get shit for saying this, but if you are looking for a car that gets good miles and isn't to expencive. Maybe consider the Smart Car?

I know people hate it and laugh at it, but it has proven facts that its one of the best vehicals out there below the $20,000 price range.

You have to own it for like 8 years or something before the gas savings are worth the higher price, though (apparently).

bazongaman502
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
You have to own it for like 8 years or something before the gas savings are worth the higher price, though (apparently).

not from what i heard... but then again, anything is possible

RaZ Vader
02-11-2013, 08:13 PM

http://m211.photobucket.com/image/man%20card/smccrodan/ScubaBoard/man-card.jpg.html?o=5

I know in some rule book. Somewhere in the world, it states that if your man hood is in question for any statements, a fellow man may take your man card... so...

Give me your card...

KazuhLLL
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
not from what i heard... but then again, anything is possible

My economics teacher senior year of high school made us do a worksheet where we figured it out. The data on it may well have been outdated or even flat out wrong.

Deathhawk
02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
We gotta know your price range?

-Don't buy new
-Craigslist can be VERY helpful
-Honda Civic is one of the best options as far as cost effective and reliability go
-Avoid hybrids
-Buy american older, buy foreign newer

^^^KazhuLL is right. Actually, on a Prius vs new Civic its actually more like 20 years.

KazuhLLL
02-12-2013, 01:55 AM
^^^KazhuLL is right.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTy1q9g FMLKGFm3QK5puxDTSZqLviGrY ZJLx5gRFmMP8FWaH137

bazongaman502
02-12-2013, 02:36 AM
^ LOL