PDA

View Full Version : Majestic DLC Releases 2.25.13

KazuhLLL
02-19-2013, 04:44 AM
http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/02/19/Halo-4-Majestic-Map-Pack-Delivers-Close-Quarters-Action-alongside-New-Game-Type-and-Playlists-on-Feb-25.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLycGF8_6P8

Two small maps and one medium sized one. Color me excited. :)

Also, some (awful) gameplay videos!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQXBWxgpqtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFlWlRgAoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjhQW7obmw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-4YEh_1NA

UNLUCKY NUM13ER
02-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Can't wait. I've always been a fan of smaller team based gameplay.

And Crimson was a bit underwhelming....

Relapsive
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I love 4v4s, so lets hope these maps play as well as the look.

VerbotenDonkey
02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
I love how they say they want the maps to look and feel fictional, but then they don't add in any cool map dynamics like Halo 2 had like the train on terminal, or the gate controls on Zanzibar or heck even the Elephants on Sandtrap. That's what I really miss. That's why got me into the Maps and made them memorable. I don't just want more small Arena maps that basically all play the same. I want some interesting features on the maps that make them stand out, outside from their art design.

Metkil5685
02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
I love how they say they want the maps to look and feel fictional, but then they don't add in any cool map dynamics like Halo 2 had like the train on terminal, or the gate controls on Zanzibar or heck even the Elephants on Sandtrap. That's what I really miss. That's why got me into the Maps and made them memorable. I don't just want more small Arena maps that basically all play the same. I want some interesting features on the maps that make them stand out, outside from their art design.

I have to agree with Donkey on this one. Though I am happy that there some more close quarters maps coming out, they are all arena style which means it will typically not have any kind of unique element that has some kind of game altering mechanic. However, I have to the say the art design on the maps look amazing. I can't wait to look at them.

Also, I love how 343i decided "hey let's announce the map pack one week before we distribute it!"

Zeta Crossfire
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
sad to see a lack of big mapa but hey there's always castle.

Guzzie
02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Sometimes details such as those have to be sacrificed for better gameplay. In this case, the aesthetics and themes of the maps themselves give them their own identity, which in my mind is great to see.
Gameplay wise, I am very excited to see more 4v4 maps available. Along with team throw down, the upcoming title update and a ranking system, these next couple of months are looking very promising.

KazuhLLL
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

The ratio of big:small maps in Halo 4 has been hugely skewed in big maps' favor compared to past Halos. This map pack is essentially just a response to that problem.

Zeta Crossfire
02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
The ratio of big:small maps in Halo 4 has been hugely skewed in big maps' favor compared to past Halos. This map pack is essentially just a response to that problem.

I started my career in Halo 2 with Water works, headlong, Coag, Burial Mounds, Containment, Relic, ect I've always wanted more big maps in all the other halo games or at least big maps to that caliber. Halo 4 has its share of bigger maps but only 1 with a tank, 2 with a mantis. and the bigger maps with just warthogs aren't that great.

Halo for me is 2 tanks per team, 2 banshees, 4 warthogs and 16 players. Basically 2 flag CTF on coag so personally I hope for bigger more vehicular maps for castle.

Lil Nawty Lucia
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM

From what I have seen, I would bet most of this stuff is not in the game because they are hitting the limit of the 360's potential. They are forced to pick and choose what they add now instead of a little of everything. It seems to be a trend with newer games, less functional and more visual. If you think back to it Halo 2 had maps with moving elements on almost every map, at least those that I remember.

Hopefully the next Gen console solves this and gives the freedom back to game developers. I hope they dont get settled in this rut of cutting corners though.

KazuhLLL
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
I would disagree. I started my career in Halo 2 with Water works, headlong, Coag, Burial Mounds, Containment, Relic, ect. I've always wanted more big maps in all the other halo games or at least big maps to that caliber. Halo 4 has its share of bigger maps but only 1 with a tank, 2 with a mantis.

Halo for me is 2 tanks per team, 2 banshees, 4 warthogs and 16 players. Basically 2 flag CTF on coag so personally I hope for bigger more vehicular maps for castle.

I wouldn't know how the Halo 2 maps are because I never owned the original xbox. My whole thing with the map selection is that from an on-foot standpoint, there are very few small maps.

I'm a Halo 3 guy, so I'll speak in terms of that. Here's how I'd judge the map selection after the first map pack (which is where we are now in Halo 4):
Small-Medium maps: 9
(Construct, Epitaph, Guardian, Isolation, Narrows, Snowbound, The Pit, Foundry, Cold Storage)
Large maps: 6
(High Ground, Last Resort, Sandtrap, Valhalla, Rat's Nest, Standoff)

In comparison to Halo 4:
Small-Medium maps: 6
(Abandon, Adrift, Complex, Haven, Solace, Harvest)
Large maps: 7
(Exile, Longbow, Meltdown, Ragnarok, Vortex, Shatter, Wreckage)

That being said, I do believe that 343 designed the large Halo 4 maps poorly from a vehicle-usage perspective. The only map with large open spaces are Ragnarok, (a remake) and arguably Vortex. But the fact remains that there are still many big maps that kind of suck for infantry gameplay.

EDIT: Ah, it would seem you detracted your disagreement about my map size ratios before I even finished typing this. Oh well. xD

KazuhLLL
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
From what I have seen, I would bet most of this stuff is not in the game because they are hitting the limit of the 360's potential. They are forced to pick and choose what they add now instead of a little of everything. It seems to be a trend with newer games, less functional and more visual. If you think back to it Halo 2 had maps with moving elements on almost every map, at least those that I remember.

Hopefully the next Gen console solves this and gives the freedom back to game developers. I hope they dont get settled in this rut of cutting corners though.

Agreed. If you spend enough time in forge, you can easily see how much they cut corners (in terms of processor load) on even static objects. The render distance on most objects are pathetically short, and I suspect that the hitbox issues when trying to peek and shoot around rocks in forge is another example of trying to cut corners performance-wise.

Zeta Crossfire
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah. When I said I disagreed I meant it from a quality standpoint and changed my post to reflect that. It's ok though, I understand your point. There are more maps but they weren't designed that well for vehicles.

*to add*

Most of the big maps aren't quite infantry maps, and not quite vehicle maps. They are some mix in-between and I'm not a fan. I ust hope certain affinity can make some new maps considering I like most of their work.

KillerGUNNY132
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed. If you spend enough time in forge, you can easily see how much they cut corners (in terms of processor load) on even static objects. The render distance on most objects are pathetically short, and I suspect that the hitbox issues when trying to peek and shoot around rocks in forge is another example of trying to cut corners performance-wise.

I agree 100 percent.

I too have noticed the short render distance and at first just thought it was lazy game design, but began to realize that maybe 343i has pushed the 360 to it's limit and is forced to cut corners like that.

I am SO ready for the next gen to come.

HighLight
02-19-2013, 03:35 PM

The first map pack was all big maps. This game desperately needs new small maps.

I hope the new map pack, team throwdown, and the ranking system will make me want to play this game more.

KazuhLLL
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
The first map pack was all big maps. This game desperately needs new small maps.

I hope the new map pack, team throwdown, and the ranking system will make me want to play this game more.

I was playing team throwdown yesterday with a few BLUEs and we got our asses kicked repeatedly, so maybe you guys can channel your competitive efforts there xD

Coda
02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
The Covenant battle in the background sounds really cool. I'll probably go in forge, and then just watch the battle take place (unless it was uneventful, and the same thing happening over and over again). In Halo 5, I expect a lot more stuff, since it'll be on the next console. But with what 343 can do on the 360, they're doing a pretty good job. This sounds really good.

kevin2sick
02-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm excited about the new map pack. I think I'll actually play on these ones.

HighLight
02-19-2013, 09:19 PM
I was playing team throwdown yesterday with a few BLUEs and we got our asses kicked repeatedly, so maybe you guys can channel your competitive efforts there xD

That's why you should be playing with some REDDs. ;)

Silent Arbiter1
02-19-2013, 09:40 PM
lets hope they aren't as bad as crimson

Silent Arbiter1
02-21-2013, 11:36 PM

or the way u could breach the enemy base on containment

KazuhLLL
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
One of the Majestic DLC achievements is getting a Double kill with one pulse grenade.. >.>

Maxdoggy
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
One of the Majestic DLC achievements is getting a Double kill with one pulse grenade.. >.>

I saw that....

Looks like we need to boost or something! -_-

WolfPack23
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Things are gonna start to pick up.

bazongaman502
02-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I saw that....

Looks like we need to boost or something! -_-

it's really not that hard to get... got one last night. Takes a little team work though, and use corners alot... never throw one right in the open

WolfPack23
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
The maps are great.

bazongaman502
02-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I got a Lanfall FFA game being uploaded to SlayerGamingNation if you guys want to check it out... i'll post it here when it is done!

PS: Love that map

HERE IT IS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0v3f3p5C8U

Kcr33d
02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Why you no use promethean vision, even if you didnt need it.

bazongaman502
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Why you no use promethean vision, even if you didnt need it.

chose the wrong loadout, but started off well enough that I never changed it