PDA

View Full Version : ForeRunners are jerks.

Platinum
03-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Well, I recently dived into the lore behind Halo. It was very confusing for the most part, but very interesting. While I have read most of the novels, this research helped affirm what I believe to be right.

The Forerunners are assholes.

On a more serious note, why does the Didact hate humanity? I know the Forerunners are responsible for nearly killing off Ancient Humanity in the Human-ForeRunner wars, and Didact was the military leader. When Humanity sacrificed a third of their population in order to fight the flood then proceed to eradicate planets that were infected, Humanity attacked some ForeRunner planets. The Forerunners didn't think the Flood was a serious threat, and seen the Human's attacks as aggression so they attacked humanity. Humanity lost, ForeRunners punished them.

HOWEVER, the Didact admits that he made a mistake of devolving Humanity, and he realized that the Human's attacks wasn't aggressive, only trying to kill the Flood.

That part confuses me. The Didact hates humanity, even though admitting that he was a fool. Even when the master builder tested the HALO array on a planet, the ForeRunners believed that the test was against the mantle and punished the leader.

What do you think of the ForeRunners? Do you think that the Didact is a fool, or is he trying to protect the galaxy by eradicating Humanity?

Silko
03-02-2013, 06:29 PM
His anger at humanity comes from the attacks the early humans did on Forerunner planets. Yes he understands why they did it, but that doesn't mean he will lose his anger. When he says the greatest threat to the galaxy is Humanity he means humans are the greatest threat to Forerunner power, as the Forerunners believe that they are the "care keepers" of the galaxy. Humans where the only ones who could threaten them and now that Humanity has won the War against the Covenant, they are open to expand across the stars and shape the galaxy as humans see fit.

GhostHammer
03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Tl:Dr He thinks Forerunners should hold them mantle, not humanity.

Gargoyle
03-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Im pretty sure the didact got pissed because humanity knew how to defeat the flood, but wouldn't share the secrets to the forerunners.

Also, the forerunners were definitely assholes.

Mythonian
03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
As far as I know, at the time the Forerunners did not consider the Flood a major threat until after already devolving the humans, so it was analogous to the humans trying to exterminate cockroaches but ending up burning down their house.

I'd get pretty pissed too if my neighbor did that...