View Poll Results: Would you like to have these settings for remake maps?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

24 54.55%
  • NO!

20 45.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

"Classic" Gametypes?

(Someone in a lobby sparked this idea in me, so sorry I don't remember who you are!)

Note that the settings I'm proposing would be only used for remake maps. Specifically CE/H2/H3.

With trying to find a Construct remake last battle, and a Guardian remake this week, there's been a lot of talk about remakes. Whenever anyone is talking about a map that was remade in Halo 4, there are always complaints along the lines of:
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but the DMR breaks it.
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but the Jetpack breaks it.
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but Sprint breaks it.
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but spawning with Plasma Pistols ruins the vehicle combat.
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but spawning with Plasma Grenades ruins the vehicle combat.
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but the Boltshotters ruin the former awesomeness.
    • That map worked well in CE/H2/H3/Reach, but the Camo-crouching snipers ruin the former awesomeness.

So, with that in mind, here comes my suggestion:
    How about, for maps that are remade from past games, we have a set of "Classic" gametypes to go along with them? Some of you may say that we have plenty of gametypes already, (and we don't want to give Myth more work!) but honestly part of being "Classic" would be no personal ordnance, which (I believe) is the most time consuming thing with editing gametypes anyways. I'd even volunteer to be the one to post them on my file share, if that were an issue.

There are few settings details that might need to be hammered out/voted on, but in general I'd say:

• No personal ordnance.
    • No personal loadouts.
    • No armor abilities.
    • (Possibly) use the modded gametypes have sprint disabled.
    • Either BR/AR start or have a preset loadout for each.
      • Primary: Assault Rifle/Battle RIfle
      • Secondary: Magnum
      • Grenade: Frag
      • Armor Ability: N/A
      • Tactical: Resupply
      • Support: Explosives? (debatable)

Anyway, let me know what you guys think about the possibility! Again, my proposal is that these setting would be used only for remake maps.

inb4 "Just go play Halo 3."
    Last edited by KazuhLLL; 04-25-2013 at 12:07 AM.

FC Podcast Co-Host
    Useless without Jam

Re: "Classic" Gametype?

Just go play Halo 3 xD

No, but in all seriousness. This will make me cry. As the series advances it is time for us to do the same and that means adaptations as all. If a remake can't be a strict tile-for-tile remake because we need to change something to better suit Halo 4, then so be it. But please not this

"Toast was a pointless invention from the Dark Ages. Toast was an implement of torture that caused all those subjected to it to regurgitate in verbal form the sins and crimes of their past lives. Toast was a ritual item devoured by fetishists in the belief that it would enhance their kinetic and sexual powers. Toast cannot be explained by any rational means.
    Toast is me. I am Toast."

Im never the one complaining like that, so I have no problem either way.

Honestly people just take remakes WAYYY too seriously.

Virtus Tentamine Gaudet
    FM For 6 wars spanning 3 generations

Blog Posts

In a way I like this idea, but also in another way I have to agree with Toast. Maybe there could be room for compromise and somehow combine the two? Who knows..

Also, any chance of Halo 2 map remakes?

I'm currently in a community that plays Halo 4 because I like to play Halo 4. If I wanted to go play Halo 3 or any other Halo game I would. I would not participate in anymore battle nights if these changes went into effect.

REDWATCH VETERAN

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by Toast78901 View Post
    No, but in all seriousness. This will make me cry. As the series advances it is time for us to do the same and that means adaptations as all. If a remake can't be a strict tile-for-tile remake because we need to change something to better suit Halo 4, then so be it. But please not this
    In a perfect world, I would agree with you. I'd very much like to play remake maps that optimally suit Halo 4's sandbox without having to adjust the settings dramatically. However, from a forging standpoint: Remakes are easy. Map design is not. It's hard enough to find good remake maps that both look pretty and don't lag horribly. Trying to find a version that does justice to the original while also making it play similarly with the new sandbox would be darn near impossible.

With these suggested map/gametype settings, I wouldn't be against having certain weapons from Halo 4 in them if it fit that particular map well enough, but other than that I'd want them to be as "classic" as possible. :P

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Crossfire View Post
    I'm currently in a community that plays Halo 4 because I like to play Halo 4. If I wanted to go play Halo 3 or any other Halo game I would. I would not participate in anymore battle nights if these changes went into effect.
    Well, jeez. I'd hoped to get at least 5 comments in before people started tossing ultimatums around..

Blog Posts

Re: "Classic" Gametypes?

For some random customs? sure! But for the official FC gametypes... no. Just go play Halo 3 if you want to play Halo 3. Or 2, or whatever. It's an idea, but we need to progress with the game.

Website Administrator
    Skynet is PARTIALLY ACTIVE
    RIP Cyberdyne
    RIP Net of the Sky

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: Mythonian

The major problem with using a wider variety of gametypes is accessibility. We try to stay rather close to default matchmaking gametypes so that members don't have a steep learning curve when joining the community. There are a few notable differences (15-min, unlimited score, ordnance in all gametypes, a few objective differences, etc.), but nothing that really requires long to get accustomed to.

"Classic" gametypes would, however, put forth a learning curve. It changes LOTS of gameplay mechanics and plays totally different from matchmaking. And then this in combination with our regular gametypes (especially if we use one set for one map and the other set for the second map in battle nights), would confuse newer members greatly.

If we cannot get a map to work with H4 well enough, then I'd rather stop using that map than come up with a whole new set of gametypes just for them. Not worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by riphelix View Post
    Also, any chance of Halo 2 map remakes?
    The Pit, Sanctuary, Simplex (inspired by Midship) are currently in this war already. We might use others in the future (have looked at Turf and other remakes), but only time will tell.
    Having trouble on the site? Need an Admin?
    PM me or Metkil5685, we're always online...

Blog Posts
    Livestreams

Quote Originally Posted by Mythonian View Post
    The major problem with using a wider variety of gametypes is accessibility. We try to stay rather close to default matchmaking gametypes so that members don't have a steep learning curve when joining the community. There are a few notable differences (15-min, unlimited score, ordnance in all gametypes, a few objective differences, etc.), but nothing that really requires long to get accustomed to.

"Classic" gametypes would, however, put forth a learning curve. It changes LOTS of gameplay mechanics and plays totally different from matchmaking. And then this is combination with our regular gametypes (especially if we use one set for one map and the other set for the second map in battle nights), would confuse newer members greatly.

If we cannot get a map to work with H4 well enough, then I'd rather stop using that map than come up with a whole new set of gametypes just for them. Not worth it IMO.
    I've argued against many gametype settings in the past specifically for accessibility reasons. There's a laundry list of things that I'd like removed/banned from out gametypes, but I understand all too well how a learning curve could be an issue. My argument on that point is that remakes have always seemed, at least to me, to exist as a "throwback" to previous games. And the fact that said remakes are put in the wars have (again, to me) been as a throwback for those that have played the previous games. So there'd essentially only be a learning curve for those who's first Halo was Reach. And most of those people are too young to be in the community anyways. :P

IMO, the DMR alone "breaks" 99% of remake maps. Not necessarily to unplayable levels, but they do change the dynamic of them completely (i.e. Ragnarok).

Re: "Classic" Gametypes?

Naw.

Keep Halo 4, Halo 4. I think adding in different gametypes would over complicate things. If you don't think an older Halo map would play well with Halo 4, then don't include. Simple as that. No need to go and specify gametypes for maps.

RvBR/FC Veteran. 7 years

Thread Information