Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Current State of Halo 4 Weapon Tweaks and Join-In-Progress Function

This is copied directly from the Halo Bulletin posted yesterday.

"Current State of Weapon Tuning

Bravo here with more details in the world of weapon tune testing and developments. This week, I spoke with Quinn regarding more specifics with a few weapons, as well as some of the challenges associated with each.

Battle Rifle
    We announced last week that we’re investigating the feasibility of a 4-shot Battle Rifle and saw a lot of interest regarding how many bullets it takes to kill an enemy. There are indeed complications that exist around a BR that takes exactly 4 shots (or 12 bullets) to kill, and most relate specifically to latency and online play. While a 12-bullet kill feels good and rewards accurate players in a LAN setting, the vast majority of the game is played online, and the 11 -bullet kill provides a consistent online experience while still rewarding skill. Right now, we are testing a 4-shot BR that kills on the 11th bullet, which allows for a small margin of error in online play.

We had also mentioned the reduced rate of fire on the BR. When we brought the BR to a 4-shot, the weapon was dominating at all ranges. To balance it out, the fire rate now matches the DMR exactly in current testing.

DMR and LightRifle
    We’ve slightly reduced the range at which the reticle turns red for the DMR, and once again matched the LightRifle to this distance. This is based off some feedback we received last week that questioning whether or not it is currently too easy to engage people across the map. To maintain skillful long range battles, we’ve reduced this range slightly for this week’s testing. We’re also investigating slightly increasing the rate of fire on the LightRifle when zoomed, which increases its viability at range.

Assault Rifle
    The current Assault Rifle kills in 16 rounds, making it technically possible to kill 2 players with one magazine if not a single shot is missed. Our current balance testing reduces the rounds to kill by 2 or 3 shots, making this feat a bit more achievable. However, a significant reduction in auto-aim makes this quite difficult and demands a bit more skill from players who wield the AR. Our current tests bring us to an optimal kill time range that lies between that of Halo: CE’s and Halo 3’s Assault Rifles.

As we tweak these values, we’ll continue to address some of the challenges associated with each and let you know where each week brings us. We’re currently in the process of building a release schedule for the new weapon tune, and we should have details about that next week.

Also, Quinn and I just played a 1 vs. 1 match with some fully automatic DMRs. They’re kind of powerful. On a serious note, we look forward to messing around with various weapons in extreme ways for game types in playlists such as Action Sack, Multi-Team and wherever else appropriate. For now, though, let’s chat about an update we made on Monday to Join-in-Progress parameters.

Join-in-Progress Update

As we announced in the previous Halo Bulletin, we’ve been paying close attention to feedback regarding Join-in-Progress. As of Monday, we’ve updated the parameters at which players can join games, based on game mode and playlist. As you likely know, Join-in-Progress is a brand new feature in Halo 4 and was implemented to fill in matches when players quit in order to provide a consistent experience and combat against lengthy, drawn out matches in which several players have quit. After monitoring your feedback and adding new playlists, modes, Competitive Skill Rank and more, the Matchmaking Systems Team felt it was necessary to update some of the join settings to create the most optimal experience across all playlists.

While the specific settings will vary greatly depending on the game mode, score of both teams and time remaining, the following are some highlights of the current Join-in-Progress parameters:

• Once a match has passed just over half of the total game time, Join-in-Progress is disabled across all game modes and playlists.
    • Rumble Pit now has the smallest Join-in-Progress window, only allowing players to join during the first few kills of a match.
    • In Slayer matches outside of Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after one team has reached just over half of the score limit.
    • In King of the Hill and Oddball, players will no longer join in the second half of the game in regards to score limit.
    • In Grifball, players will no longer join single-round matches if over 3 goals have been scored by one team. We will be updating Grifball Pro to similar settings in the next update.
    • In Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after a small join window during and before the first moments of a match.

The goal of these updated parameters is to ensure that players who join late will still have a chance to win the match, and that players will not be joining War Games Matchmaking matches too late to have a shot at winning. Additionally, these updated parameters ensure that players who join late will not only be able, but will need to contribute to the match significantly. We look forward to hearing your feedback regarding these new Join-in-Progress settings."

To see the full Bulletin post, click here: http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headli...tin-42413.aspx

Animus 4 Ever
    SpcX
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamidj

Re: The Current State of Halo 4 Weapon Tweaks and Join-In-Progress Function

Quote Originally Posted by UEG Urias View Post
    This is copied directly from the Halo Bulletin posted yesterday.

"Current State of Weapon Tuning

Bravo here with more details in the world of weapon tune testing and developments. This week, I spoke with Quinn regarding more specifics with a few weapons, as well as some of the challenges associated with each.

Battle Rifle
    We announced last week that we’re investigating the feasibility of a 4-shot Battle Rifle and saw a lot of interest regarding how many bullets it takes to kill an enemy. There are indeed complications that exist around a BR that takes exactly 4 shots (or 12 bullets) to kill, and most relate specifically to latency and online play. While a 12-bullet kill feels good and rewards accurate players in a LAN setting, the vast majority of the game is played online, and the 11 -bullet kill provides a consistent online experience while still rewarding skill. Right now, we are testing a 4-shot BR that kills on the 11th bullet, which allows for a small margin of error in online play.

We had also mentioned the reduced rate of fire on the BR. When we brought the BR to a 4-shot, the weapon was dominating at all ranges. To balance it out, the fire rate now matches the DMR exactly in current testing.

DMR and LightRifle
    We’ve slightly reduced the range at which the reticle turns red for the DMR, and once again matched the LightRifle to this distance. This is based off some feedback we received last week that questioning whether or not it is currently too easy to engage people across the map. To maintain skillful long range battles, we’ve reduced this range slightly for this week’s testing. We’re also investigating slightly increasing the rate of fire on the LightRifle when zoomed, which increases its viability at range.

Assault Rifle
    The current Assault Rifle kills in 16 rounds, making it technically possible to kill 2 players with one magazine if not a single shot is missed. Our current balance testing reduces the rounds to kill by 2 or 3 shots, making this feat a bit more achievable. However, a significant reduction in auto-aim makes this quite difficult and demands a bit more skill from players who wield the AR. Our current tests bring us to an optimal kill time range that lies between that of Halo: CE’s and Halo 3’s Assault Rifles.

As we tweak these values, we’ll continue to address some of the challenges associated with each and let you know where each week brings us. We’re currently in the process of building a release schedule for the new weapon tune, and we should have details about that next week.

Also, Quinn and I just played a 1 vs. 1 match with some fully automatic DMRs. They’re kind of powerful. On a serious note, we look forward to messing around with various weapons in extreme ways for game types in playlists such as Action Sack, Multi-Team and wherever else appropriate. For now, though, let’s chat about an update we made on Monday to Join-in-Progress parameters.

Join-in-Progress Update

As we announced in the previous Halo Bulletin, we’ve been paying close attention to feedback regarding Join-in-Progress. As of Monday, we’ve updated the parameters at which players can join games, based on game mode and playlist. As you likely know, Join-in-Progress is a brand new feature in Halo 4 and was implemented to fill in matches when players quit in order to provide a consistent experience and combat against lengthy, drawn out matches in which several players have quit. After monitoring your feedback and adding new playlists, modes, Competitive Skill Rank and more, the Matchmaking Systems Team felt it was necessary to update some of the join settings to create the most optimal experience across all playlists.

While the specific settings will vary greatly depending on the game mode, score of both teams and time remaining, the following are some highlights of the current Join-in-Progress parameters:

• Once a match has passed just over half of the total game time, Join-in-Progress is disabled across all game modes and playlists.
    • Rumble Pit now has the smallest Join-in-Progress window, only allowing players to join during the first few kills of a match.
    • In Slayer matches outside of Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after one team has reached just over half of the score limit.
    • In King of the Hill and Oddball, players will no longer join in the second half of the game in regards to score limit.
    • In Grifball, players will no longer join single-round matches if over 3 goals have been scored by one team. We will be updating Grifball Pro to similar settings in the next update.
    • In Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after a small join window during and before the first moments of a match.

The goal of these updated parameters is to ensure that players who join late will still have a chance to win the match, and that players will not be joining War Games Matchmaking matches too late to have a shot at winning. Additionally, these updated parameters ensure that players who join late will not only be able, but will need to contribute to the match significantly. We look forward to hearing your feedback regarding these new Join-in-Progress settings."

To see the full Bulletin post, click here: http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headli...tin-42413.aspx
    Thanks UEG! HaloWaypoint is blocked when I'm a work LOL
    ۰۪۫J۰۰۪۫a۰۰۪۫m۰۰۪۫i ۰۰۪۫e۰۰۪۫D۰۰۪۫ J۰Purple Army Elite Trooper
    What We Do In Life, Echos in Eternity.

It's no problem at all.

Mystery Meats Co-Founder Platinum's Avatar
    Blog Posts

4 shot Br

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

11-bullet BR... Had to wait 8 years for it, but we will have it now.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

the BR sounds like it'll still dominate. 11 shot kill with pacing of the dmr? kind of takes away the point of having a dmr... And jesus, two kills possible with one assault rifle clip? that sounds overpowered, though i haven't seen the aim assist change. I'll reserve judgment till later, but i have mixed feelings about this update.
    Spem Successus Alit

RP forces
    RP Units guide

Quote Originally Posted by silversleek View Post
    the BR sounds like it'll still dominate. 11 shot kill with pacing of the dmr? kind of takes away the point of having a dmr... And jesus, two kills possible with one assault rifle clip? that sounds overpowered, though i haven't seen the aim assist change. I'll reserve judgment till later, but i have mixed feelings about this update.
    On the AR side of things, two kills with an AR clip is how it currently is if not a single shot is missed. As it is right now, they are only reducing the kill range by 2 or 3 shots. That still leaves a margin of error. That means you can only miss 4 or 6 total shots in order to get two kills with one clip and with reduced aim assist, the margin for error becomes a little smaller.

As for the BR/DMR; right now they have the same fire rate (in testing). That means (correct me if I'm wrong guys) that assuming a DMR and BR start shooting at the same time, the DMR can get three shots off in the time that BR takes to get one three shot burst off and then ready another burst. Essentially, both weapons will have the same rpm (rounds per minute). One on one at mid range and perfect headshot accuracy, the DMR will outgun the BR due to getting the required amount shots off for a kill before the BR can get it's required fourth burst off.
    Last edited by Dos Eggys; 04-25-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Clarifying edits

Violent by Design

Take away the point of having a dmr? You mean the no-spread, shoot a mile away and not miss gun? The DMR has been silly overpowered since launch. The BR has been overshadowed by the DMRs ridiculous aim assist and range and lack of recoil. This update is a godsend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UEG Urias View Post
    As for the BR/DMR; right now they have the same fire rate (in testing). That means (correct me if I'm wrong guys) that assuming a DMR and BR start shooting at the same time, the DMR can get three shots off in the time that BR takes to get one three shot burst off and then ready another burst. Essentially, both weapons will have the same rpm (rounds per minute). One on one at mid range and perfect headshot accuracy, the DMR will outgun the BR due to getting the required amount shots off for a kill before the BR can get it's required fourth burst off.
    You're correct in saying they have the same fire rate, but that's for a burst of the BR, not for each bullet of the burst. The time-to-kill should be identical after the update, with a little leeway for the BR for online play (11 bullet kill vs 12).

Quote Originally Posted by bl4yze View Post
    You're correct in saying they have the same fire rate, but that's for a burst of the BR, not for each bullet of the burst. The time-to-kill should be identical after the update, with a little leeway for the BR for online play (11 bullet kill vs 12).
    Thanks for correcting me. That makes a lot more sense.

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

I'm actually loving the current state of balancing. Sure, the AR can now feasible take out two guys with a single clip, but like Urias said the margin of error isn't that big. With the spread of the AR we should only see stuff like that at close range (the AR's intended niche). As for the BR, with the same fire rate as the DMR, it'll be possible to 4-shot a guy before he 5-shots you. But again, the weapons spread will limit its effectiveness at 4-shotting, specifically to a medium range (the BR's intended niche). At long range the spread + lag will make even 5-shotting unlikely, leaving the DMR king at its intended niche only. Good job, 343.

Thread Information