Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Updated State of Weapons Tuning

"After reviewing community feedback from past weeks, we felt it was necessary to clarify that the red reticle range (RRR) of the DMR has been reduced, and the RRR of the LightRifle has been increased to match this new range exactly (Note: this is different from reducing the DMR to the LightRifle’s original range). What we’ve found in current testing is that the LightRifle is now a favorite weapon for long-range engagements, and in terms of kill time, a zoomed LightRifle currently outclasses the DMR. This has created a dynamic that allows the DMR to excel in a very specific range and role – at equal skill levels, LightRifle users will punish the DMR at range, and Battle Rifle and Carbine users will have an advantage at close range.

We’re also now looking at reducing the projectile spread (inaccuracy caused when shooting rapidly) to the Carbine to make the weapon even more consistent. The projectile spread is not visible to players, so reducing this weapon will create a more consistent and understandable experience.

Also, our latest tests have included a slight damage bump to the Magnum – while it is still the same amount of shots to kill (6), the slight increase will make it more valuable as a secondary weapon, particularly in team play when “team shooting” (firing at the same opponents with your teammates). In Quinn’s words, “The Magnum feels good. It just feels really good.” Quinn gets kind of weird when he talks about weapons. [bs angel note: And even when he’s not.]

Last week, we announced that we’d be bringing a select group of community members into the studio to check out the new weapon balancing. We recently reached out to a handful of invaluable individuals who we feel not only have an extraordinary understanding of the game but also work hard to make the Halo community a better place each and every day. If you received an email, we look forward to seeing you soon. If you didn't, fret not, because you'll have several opportunities to give us your feedback – via a live stream, Bulletin threads, forums, and of course once the changes hit Matchmaking being a few such instances. While we wish we could have invited each and every one of you, our playlab only holds so many. Plus, we're running low on beer (you can blame Frankie for that). When these community members are in town, we’ll be live streaming gameplay, as well as discussing the challenges and strategy behind the changes with the design team. More details about this event will be announced shortly.

Additionally, to kick off the new weapon tuning update, June 3rd will also be host to an Xbox LIVE playdate with 343 team members, in which we’ll be hopping into a few playlists and playing with the community. If you’re currently dreaming of a 4-shot BR duel with bs angel, mark your calendars. Careful – she’s been known to “straight up” out-BR unsuspecting victims."

This came straight from this week's Halo Bulletin, found here. Also on this week's Halo Bulletin is an interview with Coby Yamauchi who has tested the new weapon tuning and the announcement of a Forge Island only playlist.
    "You cannot judge me; I am Justice itself!
    We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent!
    But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother!"

"Also, is English your first language? I want to be sure we're communication clearly here."

"I want to be sure we're communication clearly here."

"we're communication clearly here."

- Jam Cliché

Useless without Toast Jam Cliché's Avatar
    Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: jamcliche

Re: Updated State of Weapons Tuning

Sweet. Nice catch.

Real power comes from the man next to you and is built on the foundations of brotherhood and unity. There is no such thing as a one man army.

Thanks, I'm thinking of making this a weekly thing unless there isn't anything interesting in the Bulletin.
    But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother!"

"Also, is English your first language? I want to be sure we're communication clearly here."

- Jam Cliché

Blog Posts

Good shit. Thanks for the update Urias. I don't always check Waypoint, so this is nice
    "Pollen is bee semen, right?" -PolychromeVirus, 2016

"Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion. Steeled themselves for what needed to be done.
    I see now why they left you behind. You were weak, and gods must be strong." -Prophet of Truth

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

Quote Originally Posted by UEG Urias View Post
    We’re also now looking at reducing the projectile spread (inaccuracy caused when shooting rapidly) to the Carbine to make the weapon even more consistent.
    :DDDDDD
    Last edited by KazuhLLL; 05-09-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Elite BLUE Veteran
    Spirit of Hope
    Vacuus Quietis
    Psalms of Planets
    Blog Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KazuhLLL View Post
    DDDDD
    it shall be overpowered now and does this mean the light rifle will be on par with the DMR?
    "I bought a xbox one to watch my team suck in HD"

Blog Posts
    Livestreams
    View Channel: kazinsser

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sapien View Post
    it shall be overpowered now and does this mean the light rifle will be on par with the DMR?
    It should mean that the AR will beat it at close range, the BR will beat it at mid range and the LR will beat it at long range. The DMR will remain good at all ranges, but it will have a counter weapon at every range.

Also the carbine was likely buffed even more to help keep it on par with the BR.

I feel like the buff to Carbine is a little down played. The reduction in spread in combination with it's already high fire rate could turn it into a really deadly weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Sapien View Post
    The DMR max red reticule range has been reduced. The Light Rifle's max red reticule range has been extended to match it exactly.

- Jam Cliché

This is good news. The imbalance of the DMR has been a constant problem for the game since it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by OurNewProgress View Post
    This is good news. The imbalance of the DMR has been a constant problem for the game since it shipped.
    It should have a fair amount of competition after this rolls out on June 3rd.

- Jam Cliché

Thread Information